Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?
This probably belongs in the idiots thread, but I'll go ahead and ask anyway.

How dumb would it be to try and commission as a flight nurse in the Air Guard? Getting the gently caress out of the Army relatively soon and going back to school for my BSN, but I've been looking at ANG as a way to make a couple extra grand a year plus a neat little pension at the end of the rainbow. One of the only reasons I'm even considering it is because it looks like there are slots with the 166th Airlift out of New Castle, Delaware which is maybe an hour and a half away from Baltimore. That and from what I've read the promotion rates are loving hilarious, so again with the pension thing. Pretty much everything else would be icing on the cake as far as flight certification and experience goes.

That's assuming I can get selected, and whatever my particular flavor of colorblindness is doesn't gently caress me out of it from the get-go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Dead Reckoning posted:

What in particular are you worried about? Flight Med skews older and more mature, especially in the Guard. It can be hard to get in, but the crews tend to be pretty tight-knit. You will have to deploy and be on the road a lot, and will probably end up pulling AMCT duty in an AOC at some point.

I'm just worried about the usual stuff, like why in the name of gently caress would I want to go back in under any capacity. Then I think about how it's the Air Force instead of the Army, O vs E, it's the Guard, it'll be a flight job, AND as a cherry on top it's medical. Just trying to walk other people with different perspectives through my logic and see if there are any horrifically big holes I can't see.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

iyaayas01 posted:

If deployment duration/frequency is a concern I'd try and ping some people in the unit to figure out what their tempo is like, since it could vary from an AD unit compared to the Guard.

So long as it doesn't completely overwhelm the rest of my life, I've got no problem with it necessarily being more than the one weekend and one week bullshit you hear people parrot. Granted this whole thing is a thought exercise for the next couple years until I'm probably a senior, doesn't seem like much of a point in reaching out to healthcare recruiters or units until I'm actually on the final lap.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

nullscan posted:

Yup, it is, but do yourself a favor and get away from itaewon.

Apgujeong. Grab a couple friends, don't dress like a mil douchebag, go right before you absolutely HAVE to get a haircut. Learn which clubs and bars aren't insanely overpriced, go bang some barely legal dependents and English teachers.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Booblord Zagats posted:

And don't forget the guy who's command found his GiP/GBS/Offsite WarHammer forum posts and he quit, too. Even had himself an Encyclopedia Dramatica article

https://encyclopediadramatica.se/Martello#Martello

So that's what happened to Martello.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

The YouTube Music app is a thing.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

it's at least a 80% chance

Probably wildly underestimating, honestly.

From a handful of words of a second-hand account of symptoms, I'm going to go with "muscle spasms" and "toradol" for Medic Bingo. Could be nothing, could be something. I know from firsthand account that the only thing more helplessly terrifying than a sudden and debilitating lumbar spasm is an actual honest-to-ghost disc herniation, but that's the kind of poo poo you know exactly what it is when it happens and a trigger point injection with toradol won't do ssshhiiiiit for you.

EDIT: For what it's worth, muscle spasms are the reason I've got a little stockpile of muscle relaxants squirreled away. Do some dumb poo poo and feel like you got stabbed in the back then go home, pop a couple and pass out, wake up the next day with even odds that you feel right as rain or at least significantly better even if it's a bad one.

Diarrhea Elemental fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Jul 14, 2016

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

How hard is it to smack a rabbit in the head with a rock? Or hell palm its head, grab its ribcage, twist.

The really funny part is when someone hasn't seen the rabbit kettlebell swing, or the knifeless push-and-squeeze method.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Terrible Robot posted:

I still laugh a little bit whenever I see this picture.

• Locked thread