Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Caydence
Sep 3, 2011
About 7 months ago, I gave up drinking soda. My weakness was Barqs, and I could easily do 4+ cans a day. I've tried giving it up before many times, but this one attempt seemed to stick. I can't stand the taste (aftertaste) of diet sodas, so I do not drink those. My problem is, I don't have anything that satisfies me anymore. I drink a ton of water everyday, but since it doesn't satisfy like soda did, I just keep drinking and drinking.

I'm looking for something that will give me flavor again. I don't like carbonated fruit water, and I don't want to do coffee or tea as I find them gross, but also wanted to give up the caffeine as well as the high-fructose corn syrup and other bad things in soda. I've been drinking a lot more beer lately. And by more I mean I went from 1 every month or so to 2-3 a week. It at least has flavor.

Any of you have better suggestions for a replacement?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Always refreshing.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Good for you giving up sugar water. Know that it is engineered specifically to evoke a response, and now you're missing it. You'll get over it.

I drink water and tea. There's like a billion teas, and they're healthy and delicious. Buy high quality stuff (loose tea, not stuff in tea bags, I buy from Adagio) and try lots of samples until you find some things you like.

Stay away from "foods" with chemistry experiment ingredient labels.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Have you tried these flavored squirt things? Aside from coffee and an occasional beer, I only been drinking water for a couple of years. Recently, I got some store brand version of this noise. Good for a bit of flavor every now and then.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
tang you stupid motherfucker

It Just Got Worse
Oct 30, 2012
Make some fruit-infused water. Start with lemon and basil, and branch out from there.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
I find that soda water and lime juice to be extremely delicious.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Soda water and bitters.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
I pathed down over twenty years of sugared soda to a 5 year alternating mix of sugared and diet, then another of diet only and finally, for the past few years seltzer water, almost exclusively Polar.

I also devolved my caffeinated drinking from Starbucks mochas, Dunkin' Donuts "mocha" (coffee + chocolate syrup), and now to black coffee.

For me the key was gradual change and in the case of coffee, making it myself.

Leaf Coneybear
Sep 2, 2007
He's not that smart
Lacroix. A hundred times Lacroix. Go for the simple flavors that don't taste artificial: lime, grapefruit, and apricot are my favorites.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Seriously, any citrus seltzer is fantastic.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Water with cucumber and lemon floating in it is pretty awesome

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Drink on mate all day.

Drink on Fernet all night.

Learn to dance the tango.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Caydence posted:

About 7 months ago, I gave up drinking soda. My weakness was Barqs, and I could easily do 4+ cans a day. I've tried giving it up before many times, but this one attempt seemed to stick. I can't stand the taste (aftertaste) of diet sodas, so I do not drink those. My problem is, I don't have anything that satisfies me anymore. I drink a ton of water everyday, but since it doesn't satisfy like soda did, I just keep drinking and drinking.

I'm looking for something that will give me flavor again. I don't like carbonated fruit water, and I don't want to do coffee or tea as I find them gross, but also wanted to give up the caffeine as well as the high-fructose corn syrup and other bad things in soda. I've been drinking a lot more beer lately. And by more I mean I went from 1 every month or so to 2-3 a week. It at least has flavor.

Any of you have better suggestions for a replacement?

Water. Fresh squeezed fruit juices. Or at least fruit juices without HFCS in it. Wine. Beer.

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

When I'm craving soda I like to mix about 1/4th to 1/3rd juice (I like orange or pineapple best) with seltzer. Satisfies my carbonated sugar water craving with a fraction of the sugar, and is delicious. Lemon water/seltzer is refreshing and good and I drink that too, but it doesn't get the soda monkey off my back like that does.

Also find a supermarket which sells seltzer/club soda in cans, the big bottles go flat and the small glass bottles are expensive.

Inaction Jackson
Feb 28, 2009
Speaking of fruit juices + soda water, I am a huge fan of mixing 1 part pomegranate juice or tart cherry juice with 3 or 4 parts soda water. Sparking lemonade or limeade with fresh squeezed juice and just a little bit of sugar is also great.

Also seconding bitters. I got a set of these as a Christmas gift and I've used them way more for putting in soda water than for making cocktails.

Oddly, I started drinking a lot less soda after getting a SodaStream. I started mixing in less and less of the syrups until eventually I just started preferring the little unsweetened flavors or bitters or just straight soda water. You'll get used to not needing a ton of sugar after a while.

CleverHans
Apr 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
Sarsaparilla Tea?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Caydence posted:

also wanted to give up the caffeine as well

Why?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Unsweetened and tasty as Hell. Comes in a bunch of other flavours.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Mister Macys posted:

Unsweetened and tasty as Hell. Comes in a bunch of other flavours.

I loving love coconut water so I'll look that up.

Like OP I couldn't stand the taste of artificial sweeteners but for some reason Cherry Coke Zero proved to be a very effective gateway drug and now all diet soda tastes normal to me.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Seltzer. I use my Soda Stream. They also sell those citrus oils for flavoring. You can also get sasparilla root extract if you miss that bite.

mewbert
Jun 12, 2011
hatsuune miku wishes you

a happy and safe halloween
Beer!

Matt18001
Feb 28, 2015
Flavoured water works for me, somehow I don't notice the artificial sweetener as much as I would in a diet soda. I will never give up coffee; pretty sure I am caffeine dependent.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Republicans posted:

I loving love coconut water so I'll look that up.

Like OP I couldn't stand the taste of artificial sweeteners but for some reason Cherry Coke Zero proved to be a very effective gateway drug and now all diet soda tastes normal to me.

Yep exactly, OP just needs to nut up and get acclimated to the aftertaste. Once you get used to it you don't notice it any more and then you can drink all the loving soda in the world without taking in a single calorie.

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007
Learn to like coffee, drink that + water all day.

Or just acknowledge that you'll have a transition period, but drinking your calories is stupid (if they don't get you drunk) and constantly drinking water is not a bad thing at all.

I used to drink 4-5 cans of diet soda a day, realized I was being a dumb and also a child, started drinking water and black coffee. I feel better, save money, and my teeth are only slightly more stained from the coffee.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

rj54x posted:

Learn to like coffee, drink that + water all day.

Or just acknowledge that you'll have a transition period, but drinking your calories is stupid (if they don't get you drunk) and constantly drinking water is not a bad thing at all.

I used to drink 4-5 cans of diet soda a day, realized I was being a dumb and also a child, started drinking water and black coffee. I feel better, save money, and my teeth are only slightly more stained from the coffee.

Days I eat a lot of fruit I don't need coffee at all. It's nice.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

American Fresca is pretty good gateway to diet sodas. It doesn't even say diet!

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

The Midniter posted:

Yep exactly, OP just needs to nut up and get acclimated to the aftertaste. Once you get used to it you don't notice it any more and then you can drink all the loving soda in the world without taking in a single calorie.

Worth noting: there have been studies* indicating that diet soda may lead to an increase in your sugar intake because your body stops associating sweetness with calories.

*I don't have a citation so take this with a grain of salt.

Also, I started drinking straight soda water lately and I've realized that it's the carbonation I've been craving. My grandparents always had Perrier available for family get-togethers and it was always one of my favorite drinks.

Philip Rivers fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Mar 4, 2015

indoflaven
Dec 10, 2009
C2o coconut water is very good.

Lysator
Mar 1, 2015
I really like mineral water with the juice of a fresh lemon. Really close to soda only more sour (what is actually pretty awesome).

Jakcson
Sep 15, 2013
Soda water. It will almost always have some kind of bicarbonate in it which is kinda healthy for you.

Or you could do what I do, which is drink distilled water until I feel slightly uncomfortable, then I eat something. BAM! Problem solved.

If you want flavor, add a teaspoon of baking soda.

VVVVV - Doesn't tea kinda defeat the purpose of moving away from soda when it has caffeine, and then you are adding sugar to it?

Jakcson fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Mar 4, 2015

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I'm not sure if you think of tea as specifically unsweetened, but I drink a ton of this at home:

Get the family size lipton ice tea bags, the kind that each bag makes a quart, not a cup. Get a nice 2 quart pitcher, and fix two bags at a time, then add in 1/3 cup sugar and 1/3 cup country time lemonade mix. Then just start adjusting to taste and stick with it. Super cheap, very yummy, not overwhelmingly lemonade or tea flavored.

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.

Jakcson posted:

Soda water. It will almost always have some kind of bicarbonate in it which is kinda healthy for you.

Or you could do what I do, which is drink distilled water until I feel slightly uncomfortable, then I eat something. BAM! Problem solved.

If you want flavor, add a teaspoon of baking soda.

VVVVV - Doesn't tea kinda defeat the purpose of moving away from soda when it has caffeine, and then you are adding sugar to it?

Only if you drink it white person-style. Most herbal teas don't contain caffeine. I personally love the taste of rooibos hot or cold and it has a nice woody vanilla note that may satisfy root beer cravings.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Akbar posted:

Only if you drink it white person-style.

What?

Jakcson
Sep 15, 2013

I think that means you have to use a straw and snort the tea up your left nostril.

Or Akbar could have just made a nonsensical and racist post.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Putting enough sugar and creamer in it to qualify as a dessert would be my guess.
Though that's more a "fat white person" coffee.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Mar 5, 2015

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
OP, you know small amounts of caffeine are actually good for you, right? Drink a couple of cups of tea or coffee a day, it's good for your heart, kidneys, brain and intestines - kidneys and intestines are particularly 'hard science' because of the simple fact that coffee, if you're not used to it, makes you piss and poo poo more, which is a Good Thing for flushing out 'toxins' (a really overused term with psuedoscience, but when it comes to kidneys and your bowels, a legitimate issue given their role is to eliminate waste and long-term build-up is one of those cancer risks). It's also maybe good for cancer and diabetes, so unless you've got a good reason to quit caffeine, don't,

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Loomer posted:

OP, you know small amounts of caffeine are actually good for you, right? Drink a couple of cups of tea or coffee a day, it's good for your heart, kidneys, brain and intestines - kidneys and intestines are particularly 'hard science' because of the simple fact that coffee, if you're not used to it, makes you piss and poo poo more, which is a Good Thing for flushing out 'toxins' (a really overused term with psuedoscience, but when it comes to kidneys and your bowels, a legitimate issue given their role is to eliminate waste and long-term build-up is one of those cancer risks). It's also maybe good for cancer and diabetes, so unless you've got a good reason to quit caffeine, don't,

It's worth noting that caffeine dependence is a real and actual thing. Think baby nicotine addiction.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Leaf Coneybear posted:

Lacroix. A hundred times Lacroix. Go for the simple flavors that don't taste artificial: lime, grapefruit, and apricot are my favorites.

Picked up some lime today and while I find club soda to be far too bitter to drink alone it's great mixed with diet cherry cola and rum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Republicans posted:

Picked up some lime today and while I find club soda to be far too bitter to drink alone it's great mixed with diet cherry cola and rum.

Club soda and tonic water aren't the same thing, FYI. Club soda is just plain ol' carbonated water (plus maybe sodium bicarbonate?) where as tonic water has quinine added and is distinctly bitter.

• Locked thread