Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Republicans posted:

I loving love coconut water so I'll look that up.

Like OP I couldn't stand the taste of artificial sweeteners but for some reason Cherry Coke Zero proved to be a very effective gateway drug and now all diet soda tastes normal to me.

Yep exactly, OP just needs to nut up and get acclimated to the aftertaste. Once you get used to it you don't notice it any more and then you can drink all the loving soda in the world without taking in a single calorie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Shbobdb posted:

I'm not sure what you call a "gin and soda", when I order it at the bar during happy hour, I just ask for a "gin and soda". When I make it at home, I don't have a name for it, I just drink it (and if I'm entertaining, I usually make G&Ts because, well, that is what most people expect).

http://www.jeffreymorgenthaler.com/2008/how-to-make-your-own-tonic-water/

That is a good recipe for very flavorful tonic water. If you just want the "bitter bite" without extra flavor, you can just use the cinchona bark. It will be a crazy red color. That is normal. Not sure how they remove that industrially but don't worry, that is how it is supposed to look. Not sure where to buy cinchona bark in Oz but I imagine you can find it at a local homebrew store, hippie/new age apothecary or on-line. Just replace the agave syrup* with your artificial sweetener of choice or do what I do and just don't add any. It will be very bitter, but I kinda like that. Plus you don't want to use too much becasue of cinchonism. I've never had a problem with it but because it is so bitter, I normally use very little.

Don't worry about it, but some people are more sensitive than others and so I figure putting the warning out there is better than not.

For gins, I use New Amsterdam when I'm on a budget (very vodka-like) or Bombay/Tanquary/etc. gins. Like I said, just not the super-cheap ones. Or Seagrams, which I find tastes gross. Not sure how the gin price structure works in Australia, since you guys normally have to pay a lot more for booze.

For the gin and soda, add some cucumber and lemon/lime. Super refreshing and healthy tasting (in a good way).

Gin and soda is my mixed drink of choice now. I used to be all about gin and tonic, but over time I found that in many cases the sweetness of the tonic could be cloying and overpower the notes of the gin. With soda, I get the delicious carbonation I'm looking for and the flavor of the spirit is able to speak for itself.

• Locked thread