Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
black potus
Jul 13, 2006

black potus posted:

3) eSporks [2-2] vs MySwan [2-2]
5) Viscardus [3-1] vs instantrunoffvote [3-1]
6) Ranpire [3-1] vs Fingers McLongDong [3-1]

this is what's left. i'm going to scoop to Jabor bc i'm not sure if i can schedule a time w/ him for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

instantrunoffvote
Jul 23, 2007

black potus posted:

this is what's left. i'm going to scoop to Jabor bc i'm not sure if i can schedule a time w/ him for a while.

Viscardus beat me 2-1 awhile back.

Ranpire
Nov 6, 2012

black potus posted:

6) Ranpire [3-1] vs Fingers McLongDong [3-1]

Hey, so, I'm finally back on something resembling a normal person schedule. I'll be around all day today and tomorrow until at least evening, US times!

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Ranpire posted:

Hey, so, I'm finally back on something resembling a normal person schedule. I'll be around all day today and tomorrow until at least evening, US times!

Do you idle in irc? I'm off this week so I'm available a lot during the day and late at night, except in the normal evening hours when I'll either be spending time with the wife or playing actual paper magic.

Ranpire
Nov 6, 2012
That I do, Ranmilia in IRC, poke whenever you're around.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

black potus posted:

Nah I'll drop, our scheduling issues have basically been my fault and I probably won't be able to find time for any further rounds anyway.

It's been fun, I'll definitely be keen for another one of these once I'm in a better position to actually get rounds played.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I haven't heard from MySwan, but my schedule also sucks right now. If he shows up he can have the win. If he doesn't, I will take it.

Ranpire
Nov 6, 2012
I have prevailed 2-0 over Fingers McLongDong, in one longish game where I kept 6 mana sources and Fire/Ice, drew into action and got there, and one slightly less exciting game where he kept lotus+1 land, his 1/2 goyf fell to the snapcaster block, and then he never drew another land.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Sssssooooo, about that top 8?

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
i'll get that paired up today!

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
CONGRATS TO OUR TOP 8:

1: suicidesteve
2: TheKingOfSprings
3: TheLawinator
4: Ranpire
5: instantrunoffvote
6: Fingers McLongDong
7: Viscardus
8: gang sines

quarterfinals pairings, left player chooses play/draw

suicidesteve vs gang sines
TheKingOfSprings vs Viscardus
TheLawinator vs Fingers McLongDong
Ranpire vs instantrunoffvote

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

black potus posted:

CONGRATS TO OUR TOP 8:

List the rest!

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
9: Irony Be My Shield
10: eSporks
11: Lonely Bridge
12: MySwan
13: The March Hare
14: kizurdrake

and then a bunch of dudes dropped

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

Alright, this is gonna be good.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

TheLawinator posted:

Alright, this is gonna be good.

I'm having flashbacks and they aren't pleasant memories.

I'm available from around 7-9 in the evening this weekend or all day monday.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

black potus posted:

CONGRATS TO OUR TOP 8:

Yyyyeeeesss. I can practically taste that Army of Allah. I'll be able to battle after midnight or possibly around 1 PM for the next few days. I'm off Wednesday and Thursday so that seems easiest.

instantrunoffvote
Jul 23, 2007

black potus posted:

CONGRATS TO OUR TOP 8:

I think you misrecorded my last round match against Viscardus. I actually lost that one, so I don't know how I'm ahead of him in the standings.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
poo poo, you're right. the tool has locked me out so i'm just gonna switch you guys

5: Viscardus
7: instantrunoffvote

suicidesteve vs gang sines (2-0)
TheKingOfSprings vs instantrunoffvote
TheLawinator vs Fingers McLongDong (2-0)
Ranpire vs Viscardus (2-1)

black potus fucked around with this message at 13:20 on May 18, 2015

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

black potus posted:

9: Irony Be My Shield
10: eSporks
11: Lonely Bridge
12: MySwan
13: The March Hare
14: kizurdrake

and then a bunch of dudes dropped

So, do I get the new av/gang sign, since my only wins are from drops?

Lonely Bridge
Apr 12, 2008

kizudarake posted:

So, do I get the new av/gang sign, since my only wins are from drops?

Hey, me too! :toot:

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
:cawg: the buy an av button is up there [cawg is the only emote i know pointing up]

Ranpire
Nov 6, 2012

black potus posted:

Ranpire vs Viscardus

Cool beans. I can only use Cockatrice and am currently available NA evenings/late nights/early mornings, for now. (Earlier than that is going to be very busy this weekend, due to my birthday/family stuff/work stuff. You can find me idling on IRC all the time under the nick Ranmilia, give me a poke and I'll definitely respond if there or get your message if not.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
o i thought you guys were asking how you got the new av hohoho. whoever wants the gangtag can buy it, this is a free country, capitalism, etc.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

black potus posted:

o i thought you guys were asking how you got the new av hohoho. whoever wants the gangtag can buy it, this is a free country, capitalism, etc.

We were under the impression that forbidden lesbian had agreed to pass the gangtag to the lowest losers of these tournaments.

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

Thus equipped by fortune, physique, and character, he was naturally indomitable, and subordinate to no one in the world.
Sadly, my tournament has come to an end at the hands of Ranpire. 2-1 in some close games.

Also gently caress Viashino Heretic forever. :v:

Ranpire
Nov 6, 2012
I have obtained a close 2-1 victory over Viscardus.

Game 1: Shops happened, I forced the first lock piece and then we both ran out of stuff and passed for 5 turns. Eventually, the 2/2 beatdown began, and Dack mana came one turn too late for me to stem the tide.

Game 2: I kept 4 lands, Black Lotus, Ancestral Recall, Snapcaster Mage. Turn 1 ancestral myself and play lotus, Viscardus plays Null Rod, respond with cracking lotus to snapcaster recall... draw into Thoughtseize and Ingot Chewers, eventually hardcast the chewers, and so forth - meanwhile Viscardus drew all four of his Ancient Tombs and not much else. This one wasn't very close.

Game 3: Interesting times here. On the draw, I kept Mana Crypt, Scalding Tarn, Viashino Heretic, Force, Fire/Ice, Ingot Chewer x2 (and drew Ancestral turn 1). About as good as I could ask for, with a force and a turn 1 heretic, but still vulnerable to an equally good opposing hand with two plays like Sphere/Chalice for 0. Fortunately, that didn't happen, I forced a thing and then played the turn 1 Heretic. Dismember's a threat, but he probably sided those out, right...?

Well, he did, but it turns out Phyrexian Revoker is also a card that beats Heretic, and Strip Mine denied my only land, leaving me on just Crypt and a 1/3. I was very fortunate that my next draw was Island, enabling the Recall to get myself back into the game. Despite eventually going down to 5 from my own Mana Crypt and having to kill it with my own Heretic, the combination of large amounts of mana, a second force in hand (never used) and multiple Ingot Chewers turning Heretic back on was enough to deal with (I think) almost anything that could have been thrown at me.

It was a very interactive game for a shops matchup, though. Viscardus got stuck on mana and was questioning a few of his own plays, like the early Strip Mine (I think that was correct, though - if I hadn't drawn land and had Ancestral, I was pretty dead), not copying his own Revoker to ensure the Heretic was locked down (definitely would have been better for him, although the double chewer still would have freed it) and his choice of plays later in the game (could have tried to run out Lodestone Golem and Chalice on something, but by that point they get eaten by Heretic and I was able to hold up a force). So... actually I guess I just got a super awesome sequence of draws there.

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

Thus equipped by fortune, physique, and character, he was naturally indomitable, and subordinate to no one in the world.

Ranpire posted:

It was a very interactive game for a shops matchup, though. Viscardus got stuck on mana and was questioning a few of his own plays, like the early Strip Mine (I think that was correct, though - if I hadn't drawn land and had Ancestral, I was pretty dead), not copying his own Revoker to ensure the Heretic was locked down (definitely would have been better for him, although the double chewer still would have freed it) and his choice of plays later in the game (could have tried to run out Lodestone Golem and Chalice on something, but by that point they get eaten by Heretic and I was able to hold up a force). So... actually I guess I just got a super awesome sequence of draws there.

Yeah, I think I was probably losing that game either way in the end, but copying the Revoker might have given me a little extra time to draw into something, at least. I think you're right that the Strip Mine was correct, though. The alternative was keeping it around to play Lodestone Golem if I didn't draw any more mana sources (which I didn't), but that would have meant two more turns without destroying your land (since I had to play Revoker to stop the Heretic). Ultimately I think the main problem is that I am not a great player and basically depend on lucky draws to lock people out early. When I don't get them, well, I don't win. :v:

Edit: Yeah, to be fair, the two games I lost weren't actually that close, necessarily. They were interesting, at least, though.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Viscardus posted:

Edit: Yeah, to be fair, the two games I lost weren't actually that close, necessarily. They were interesting, at least, though.

Terra Nova really needs to keep a strong opener. The fact that it can't just go Forgemaster - Giant Game-Ending Idiot Robot really makes applying early pressure important. It's rarely wrong to blow up one of their lands; you have 23 or so to their 18-, and half of them tap for >1. You're much more capable of working on 1 or 2 lands. This is also why I don't recommend blowing up a Shops player's lands.

RiP Shops buddy. Don't worry, I'll avenge you!

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
when do you want to jam steve

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

black potus posted:

when do you want to jam steve

Wednesday or Thursday maybe? What times work for you?

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

suicidesteve posted:

Terra Nova really needs to keep a strong opener. The fact that it can't just go Forgemaster - Giant Game-Ending Idiot Robot really makes applying early pressure important. It's rarely wrong to blow up one of their lands; you have 23 or so to their 18-, and half of them tap for >1. You're much more capable of working on 1 or 2 lands. This is also why I don't recommend blowing up a Shops player's lands.

RiP Shops buddy. Don't worry, I'll avenge you!

Yeah, I found that by far the most difficult part of playing the deck for me was deciding when to mulligan. Not that I played perfectly otherwise, but I felt like a huge number of my games really came down to what cards I had, not how I used them. I think there were definitely a couple bad keeps during the tournament that cost me games.

Still, I don't feel too bad. I went 4-2 overall and made the Top 8 (even if it was a pretty small field), and it was my first time playing Vintage. I'll be cheering for you as well as Ranpire from here on out.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Viscardus posted:

Yeah, I found that by far the most difficult part of playing the deck for me was deciding when to mulligan. Not that I played perfectly otherwise, but I felt like a huge number of my games really came down to what cards I had, not how I used them. I think there were definitely a couple bad keeps during the tournament that cost me games.

Still, I don't feel too bad. I went 4-2 overall and made the Top 8 (even if it was a pretty small field), and it was my first time playing Vintage. I'll be cheering for you as well as Ranpire from here on out.

There's definitely an element of luck to it which is why the deck maxes out on lock pieces. Sometimes you have to keep a bad hand though. The first mulligans is usually pretty good and the second one has lost you the game. You just can't beat them having anything if you're on 5 cards that are anything but perfect. You want disruption more than threats; I'll take double Sphere, Chalice lands over basically anything that's not Workshop, Mox, 2+ Lodestone Golems.

Did you get to live the turn 1 Lodestone dream? I hope you did. It feels so good, especially when you back it up with Chalice on 0.

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

suicidesteve posted:

Did you get to live the turn 1 Lodestone dream? I hope you did. It feels so good, especially when you back it up with Chalice on 0.

Yep, although I don't remember if it was in the tournament or a practice game. I also got to live the Turn 1 Trinisphere on the play dream, which kind of made me feel like a monster. Funnily enough that was on a mull to five (I guess it doesn't matter how few cards you have when your opponent can't play any).

I definitely like the deck, though. I think I'll play it again (with some minor changes, probably) in the next Vintage Thunderdome. I'm also a bit sad I never got to play the mirror match. I feel like it must be very strange.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Viscardus posted:

I definitely like the deck, though. I think I'll play it again (with some minor changes, probably) in the next Vintage Thunderdome. I'm also a bit sad I never got to play the mirror match. I feel like it must be very strange.

Yeah, it's pretty strange. Sideboarding is so weird in the mirror. Like, on the play you keep some Sphere/Chalices in but on the draw you usually don't but you don't have enough sideboard cards to bring in so you just have these random dead cards that you hope aren't dead. This is where Martello has a huge advantage because they cut all that stuff and bring in 7/10s and Wurmcoils and Batterskull and whatnot.

I'll battle sometime if you want. It's actually usually a pretty interesting mirror.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
i can do both wed and thurs, after like 5pm EST. i think thurs might work a little better.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Lawinator does sometime tomorrow after 10 pm EST work?

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Lawinator does sometime tomorrow after 10 pm EST work?

Sure.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

2-0 over Fingers, because vintage.

instantrunoffvote
Jul 23, 2007

TKOS, when do you want to run our match?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

black potus posted:

i can do both wed and thurs, after like 5pm EST. i think thurs might work a little better.

Are you around tonight?

• Locked thread