Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

Elite Taco posted:

Boxster, imo.

Her issue is size, not money, so going to Boxster or Cayman isn’t an option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
What’s the size objection?

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

What’s the size objection?

Typical first world problems.

It would be a pain—if not impossible—to fit two sets of golf clubs into a 911, even with the super light/flexible carry bags we both have. We also have a second home about 120 miles away, and it would make the initial drives up a bit more aggravating because it would be hard to fit everything we need into both cars.

But it’s the golf clubs thing that’s the real hurdle.

Edit: Further research suggests this is possible in the Cayman. Will have to test it out.

Omerta fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jan 7, 2024

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Famously corvette has been made to always fit two golf bags. Not a porsche, but uh check out a Z06 ;)

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Omerta posted:

Typical first world problems.

It would be a pain—if not impossible—to fit two sets of golf clubs into a 911, even with the super light/flexible carry bags we both have. We also have a second home about 120 miles away, and it would make the initial drives up a bit more aggravating because it would be hard to fit everything we need into both cars.

But it’s the golf clubs thing that’s the real hurdle.

Edit: Further research suggests this is possible in the Cayman. Will have to test it out.

RS6

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Two 911s?

TeMpLaR
Jan 13, 2001

"Not A Crook"
Buy a Cayman or Boxster, use the savings to send your clubs in their own taxi cab.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

The perfect use case for one of those Toyota hitchless tow drones

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:
Panamera Turbo Sport Turismo. With a tune.

https://www.goapr.com/products/software/ecu_upgrade/gasoline/8/40t_ea825/parts/ECU-40T-EA825-971-TURBO

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

You can’t put two golf bags in the back seats of a 911? Are golf bags more massive than I remember?

But correct answer is a 981 Cayman S and whatever other second car for golf clubs. Or embrace your tall white socks and buy a vette.

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Jan 7, 2024

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
These are tough requirements!!

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

I thought they all specd those cars for golf bags, to the point of putting "how to load X sets of golf bags" placards on. You would think with the back seats folded a 911 would have way more room than a cayman due to the way the rear hatch is kinda shallow.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

Russian Bear posted:

You can’t put two golf bags in the back seats of a 911? Are golf bags more massive than I remember?

But correct answer is a 981 Cayman S and whatever other second car for golf clubs. Or embrace your tall white socks and buy a vette.

I haven’t seen posts about anyone doing that without sticking clubs in the passenger seat. But it might be possible. I’ll give it a try before I put a deposit down. If that doesn’t work, I think I’m going to get a Panamera.

There is no way in hell I’m getting a corvette.

Edit: I am going to the Porsche experience center in ATL to test drive a GTS and 911. I’ll see which one I like more and ask the people there for input. They should know.

Omerta fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jan 8, 2024

Network42
Oct 23, 2002
There are a couple threads on rennlist with pictures of golf bags in the back of a 911. Looks like you have to fold the seats down so if you're particularly tall or long legged it might be an issue, but it's definitely a doable thing.
https://rennlist.com/forums/991-turbo/999869-golf-clubs-in-911-turbo.html

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

Network42 posted:

There are a couple threads on rennlist with pictures of golf bags in the back of a 911. Looks like you have to fold the seats down so if you're particularly tall or long legged it might be an issue, but it's definitely a doable thing.
https://rennlist.com/forums/991-turbo/999869-golf-clubs-in-911-turbo.html

Excellent, thank you!

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

May I suggest a Cayman/Boxtser and a second set of golf clubs?

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Any horror stories bubbling up about Taycans?

Because in my delusions, I'm imagining an electric Porsche might be slightly easier (and cheaper) to care for than a normal one.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
I'd 100% buy a Taycan if I wanted a practical Porsche and our household had a decent gas vehicle because they're terrific cars. If I was a little daring I'd consider a Lucid Air also since they're tremendous cars in a similar price bracket.

edit: Bonus

Jymmybob fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jan 8, 2024

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Failson posted:

Any horror stories bubbling up about Taycans?

Because in my delusions, I'm imagining an electric Porsche might be slightly easier (and cheaper) to care for than a normal one.

I really like mine 3 years in. The heater broke and was replaced, that's it for reliability.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Jymmybob posted:

I'd 100% buy a Taycan if I wanted a practical Porsche and our household had a decent gas vehicle because they're terrific cars. If I was a little daring I'd consider a Lucid Air also since they're tremendous cars in a similar price bracket.

edit: Bonus

It's so pretty. If used Cross Turismo get around 60K, I'll be in line.

knox_harrington posted:

I really like mine 3 years in. The heater broke and was replaced, that's it for reliability.

Glad to hear it!

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:
On The Smoking Tire podcast this week they were talking about how cheap Taycans are becoming. The sedans are in the high 50s now but a look this morning showed the wagons in the low 70s.

Those cars are going to be so dated in 5 years though.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I kind of hope so. I've had mine since 2020 and there still isn't anything else on the market that compares.

This year there will be an EV Macan and next (apparently) an EV Boxster but neither of those are direct competition. There is an electric Audi A6 in the works and reasonably nice BMWs but nothing that really catches my eye.

If there's a sudden step change in battery tech then that could do it, but solid state batteries seem like vaporware so far.

It's out of warranty in a year and I was pondering whether to change it up, most likely I'll keep it for a few years further. I've already taken the depreciation hit, though it's a bit less bad over here.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I’m eagerly awaiting the electric macan to finally come out since our current macan is coming up on 150k miles.

How bad could the reliability be on a brand new platform VAG EV in its first year?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Residency Evil posted:

I’m eagerly awaiting the electric macan to finally come out since our current macan is coming up on 150k miles.

How bad could the reliability be on a brand new platform VAG EV in its first year?

Did you have issues in 150k? Which engine do you have?

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Residency Evil posted:

What are you gonna do with the macan?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Russian Bear posted:

Did you have issues in 150k? Which engine do you have?

My wife bought a 2.0 base 2017 new in 2016 before we got married. I think they may have had a bad batch of turbos, because it went through two in 60k miles and it’s been fine since. Just oil changes, brakes, tires. Edit: there was a seat airbag sensor in there as well, but that was also fixed under warranty.

If I were buying the car new, I’d have probably gone for the bigger engine in the S, but if I’m honest the base was perfectly fine for her long highway commute back when we lived east. These days we only drive 5-10k/year.

TheBacon posted:

What are you gonna do with the macan?

No idea. I’ve been telling myself it’ll be time to replace it soon for the past 2-3 years. I’ve just been waiting to see what the electric macan is like/the car market to stop being crazy.

Or I just buy a gently used macan S/GTS/Turbo or something. Dealer service prices are still cheaper than a new car.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jan 12, 2024

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

Residency Evil posted:

I absolutely wouldn't worry about Porsche or even Audi being 1% as awful as VW. I class them with Tesla as the only brands I would never buy, even if they had car(s) I'd otherwise consider.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Jymmybob posted:

I absolutely wouldn't worry about Porsche or even Audi being 1% as awful as VW. I class them with Tesla as the only brands I would never buy, even if they had car(s) I'd otherwise consider.

I kind of agree, although iirc the Taycan had a ton of issues when it first came out, and this new platform has been delayed for years due to it not being up to Porsche's standards.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
Give me the old macan, plz.

I will do things to it.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Base Macan best Macan. (Especially the T submodel.)
PDK in it is the same as every other one and the EA888 can take allllllll the boost.

Edit:
So much room for activities.

Edit 2:
https://tteglobal.com/audi/a3/8p-2.0-tfsi/18/tte480-tsi-upgrade-turbocharger

McTinkerson fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jan 12, 2024

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I rode in a Porsche

I saw some other Porsches. We were late to the gathering due to work calls but there were still quite a few cool cars when we arrived around 11.

We found a friend

Saw a variety of other cool poo poo.

The car is mental, incredible straight line punch, shocking ability to carry speed through corners, and god tier brakes. And LOUD as hell. I feel like I was at a metal concert at Universal Amphitheatre all afternoon.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Is that Newcomb's ranch?

Worth heading up if I'm visiting from out of town?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Oh. that green 996TT is a nice color

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Residency Evil posted:

Is that Newcomb's ranch?

Worth heading up if I'm visiting from out of town?

Yeah, it is Newcomb's. Definitely worth checking it out, the roads and scenery on the way up are phenomenal and the group up there seemed pretty chill and most are there to make friends/find driving groups. This was the Friday Good Times breakfast group which seems to be Porsche centric, but there were all sorts up there and everyone seemed relatively normal. Lots of photographers doing freelance type stuff, and despite getting there late due to work obligations delaying our departure from LA there were probably 30 cars/10 bikes when we got there at 11ish, and we saw a ton of amazing cars from earlier arrival people driving back down on our way up as well. I should have strapped the GoPro to the windshield and just filmed the entire ride.

Give me a heads up when you're planning it and I might be able to meet up/arrange a small convoy if timing permits. Weekday mornings are awesome in Angeles Forest, although it can start to get a little slower after 1pm or so as slower cars/tourists arrive or are leaving from lunch picnics and what have you.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

slidebite posted:

Oh. that green 996TT is a nice color

Mamba green best green tho

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
I took my 986 apart like, two months ago to install the 996 gauge cluster and activate the onboard computer. I finally got it done this evening.

Lesson learned: do NOT take apart a fully functional porsche.

I broke my hazard switch, so I gotta replace that, and I have some troubleshooting to do on the oil pressure sender unit and its wiring, but I'm operational again. This car is a lot less fun to work on than my BMW.

More fun to drive though!

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Elite Taco posted:

I took my 986 apart like, two months ago to install the 996 gauge cluster and activate the onboard computer. I finally got it done this evening.

Lesson learned: do NOT take apart a fully functional porsche.

I broke my hazard switch, so I gotta replace that, and I have some troubleshooting to do on the oil pressure sender unit and its wiring, but I'm operational again. This car is a lot less fun to work on than my BMW.

More fun to drive though!

I had thought about doing that, but my wife just told me that she wishes I had a non-convertible last weekend. Sounds like I am going Cayman shopping!

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
Enjoy cayman shopping.

I have forgotten past mistakes and am pressing onto future mistakes with NEW bullshit: removing the engine power steering pump and converting to an electric power steering pump. Terminal p car guy brain, I guess.

At least I'm having fun.

Here's a thread that at the least covers the how - and has links for aftermarket stuff to make it easier: https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/1136911-con-and-pro-of-removal-of-power-assist-steering-in-996-a.html

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Geopolitics? In my Porsche?

https://www.motorauthority.com/news...%20dealerships.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Friend is selling his excellent 964 street-legalish race car if anyone is in the market.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1992-porsche-911-carrera-2-coupe-17/