Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

If they barge carrying my Cayenne sinks, I'll put in a bid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Speaking of which, is there a cheap, relatively decent source for bumper covers for my 06 Cayenne Turbo, or should I go to the dealer with my firstborn?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Safety Dance posted:

Speaking of which, is there a cheap, relatively decent source for bumper covers for my 06 Cayenne Turbo, or should I go to the dealer with my firstborn?

All of the decent porsche parts cars on the east coast (and more) end up in Rocky Mount, NC: https://www.dcauto.com/

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Safety Dance posted:

Dealer or salvage yard. My buddy has the exact same vehicle & he just found one 100-miles away with a decent cover.

My '05 needed the lower valance, scored it for $200. It's navy blue; I didn't care because the old one was about ready to drag on the ground.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
Been flogging the 986. Headed back out next Saturday to ECR:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Hey all; looking to rent a 981 Boxster off Turo in the not so distant future. My only concern is how big is the larger of the frunks? I can't seem to find any good details online, everything either ignores it entirely or just ambiguously says like "About 5L of storage space".

Would an 11"x18"x22" suit case fit? I assume so but I just want to be sure :shrug: and it seems like you can't message hosts on Turo unless you've already booked the car, which seems odd.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Sab669 posted:

Hey all; looking to rent a 981 Boxster off Turo in the not so distant future. My only concern is how big is the larger of the frunks? I can't seem to find any good details online, everything either ignores it entirely or just ambiguously says like "About 5L of storage space".

Would an 11"x18"x22" suit case fit? I assume so but I just want to be sure :shrug: and it seems like you can't message hosts on Turo unless you've already booked the car, which seems odd.

Yes, that should fit just fine.

Question for the crowd: our 2017 Macan is will be turning 8 with ~150k miles later this year. I keep on telling myself that I don't want to rush in to buying a car because I "need" to, but I keep on delaying. I'm considering:

1. Keep on running the Macan until it dies
2. Buy a recent CPO Macan S/GTS as a replacement.
3. Splurge on a Macan EV. Making one of our cars an EV would be nice since my main commute is relatively short/mainly in the city. I would charge at home, and the longest trip I would take would be from Denver in to the mountains to go skiing. New platform makes me kind of nervous, with the issues the Taycan had.

Our current Macan has been strong for the time we've owned it. My only regret is getting the base, but it was originally my wife's car and she didn't need more power. :v:

Anyone have thoughts on the more recent, 22+ S/GTS Macans?

edit: sorry, screwed up the choices

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Mar 19, 2024

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
The EV Macan looks dece. Why not a combo of 1 and 2? Drive the current Macan until it dies or you really want to get rid of it and then buy an EV Macan?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The EV Macan looks dece. Why not a combo of 1 and 2? Drive the current Macan until it dies or you really want to get rid of it and then buy an EV Macan?

If I'm buying a car new, I'd want to have a say in how it's configured, and not buy one off the lot because my car died.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

do all three if the car actually dies: buy a stopgap GTS and put down money on the EV?

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Residency Evil posted:

If I'm buying a car new, I'd want to have a say in how it's configured, and not buy one off the lot because my car died.

What about combo of 1 and 2 of keep the old one and just buy the EV anyway? Little too much to do that? Like you can street park the gas macan.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

TheBacon posted:

What about combo of 1 and 2 of keep the old one and just buy the EV anyway? Little too much to do that? Like you can street park the gas macan.

Nah a Macan with 150k miles isn't worth anything. I haven't though too hard about what we'll do with it tbqh.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Residency Evil posted:

Nah a Macan with 150k miles isn't worth anything. I haven't though too hard about what we'll do with it tbqh.

Is there a Rally-X association in your region?
Macans make excellent rallycross beaters.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Residency Evil posted:

Give it to me then :sun:

But seriously if you are worried about EV stuff and the old one blowing up, just keep the old one? Personally I find a lot of value in having the spare vehicle. You have 3 vehicles currently yeah? The 993, macan, and a daily for yourself?

E: consider leasing the EV incase it does have first gen issues you can just give it back and be done with it.

TheBacon fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Mar 19, 2024

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

McTinkerson posted:

Is there a Rally-X association in your region?
Macans make excellent rallycross beaters.

Unfortunately I don't need another hobby with kids. :negative:

TheBacon posted:

Give it to me then :sun:

But seriously if you are worried about EV stuff and the old one blowing up, just keep the old one? Personally I find a lot of value in having the spare vehicle. You have 3 vehicles currently yeah? The 993, macan, and a daily for yourself?

E: consider leasing the EV incase it does have first gen issues you can just give it back and be done with it.

Heh, good memory. I currently drive the Macan. Also have a 993 and an E450 wagon for my wife.

I just wish Porsche came out with a middle ground between the Macan EV 4 and the Turbo.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Residency Evil posted:

I just wish Porsche came out with a middle ground between the Macan EV 4 and the Turbo.

https://tteglobal.com/porsche/macan/2.0-tsi/423/tte440l-2.0-tsi-porsche-upgrade-turbocharger
Time for a power upgrade!

Once the kids turn 12ish, they can rally-x the car themselves! Or just ride shotgun. It's a private track, so there is no driver's license required. Most insurance providers for the events just have a minimum age.
For my local Auto-X association, it's 12. There's a whole family that tracks the same NA Miata with the youngest daughter just having turned 12.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Residency Evil posted:

Heh, good memory. I currently drive the Macan. Also have a 993 and an E450 wagon for my wife.

A man of taste.

For the EV side though. Do you really need more EV than the base? I get it for gas engines but EVs idk, I am admittedly an EV hater so grain of salt and all that.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010

Elite Taco posted:

Give me the old macan, plz.

I will do things to it.

thanks

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Residency Evil posted:

You need MORE WAGON. Taycan Gran Turismo hybrid.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Russian Bear posted:

You need MORE WAGON. Taycan Gran Turismo hybrid.

a what now

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

TheBacon posted:

A man of taste.

For the EV side though. Do you really need more EV than the base? I get it for gas engines but EVs idk, I am admittedly an EV hater so grain of salt and all that.

Do you really hate EVs or are they just not suited to your particular automotive tastes? Because there’s a difference and the former seems to be largely the domain of the Trump loving coal roller types.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

EVs are a whitewash OP. You have to drive 50k-100k km, depending on your country’s power generation, before you break even with an ICE car. In the last 5.5 years I have driven just over 45k km. I am in the US, so presumably the power generation is not particularly clean, and it would take me over 12 years to drive 100k km, possibly longer since I would avoid taking long trips in an EV. And then I’d have to replace the battery, resetting the break even calculus. If we had a green power grid (lol) then it would be a different story, but they are not a magic bullet for climate change. You could probably do more to stop climate change by having empty office towers turn off their lights and ban AC below 85F/30C.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Toe Rag posted:

EVs are a whitewash OP. You have to drive 50k-100k km, depending on your country’s power generation, before you break even with an ICE car. In the last 5.5 years I have driven just over 45k km. I am in the US, so presumably the power generation is not particularly clean, and it would take me over 12 years to drive 100k km, possibly longer since I would avoid taking long trips in an EV. And then I’d have to replace the battery, resetting the break even calculus. If we had a green power grid (lol) then it would be a different story, but they are not a magic bullet for climate change. You could probably do more to stop climate change by having empty office towers turn off their lights and ban AC below 85F/30C.

None of this is true. Do you sit around with an anti-EV screed cocked and ready to go whenever you think you awkwardly jam it into a conversation?

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010

Toe Rag posted:

mlyp

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Safety Dance posted:

None of this is true. Do you sit around with an anti-EV screed cocked and ready to go whenever you think you awkwardly jam it into a conversation?

The 50-100 number is from Volvo’s assessment of their own electrification. Did something happen to make it not true, or is it only true specifically for Volvo?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Toe Rag posted:

EVs are a whitewash OP. You have to drive 50k-100k km, depending on your country’s power generation, before you break even with an ICE car.

The average person drives 14,263 miles per year so you're saying the EV will "break even" on average in somewhere between 2.2 and 4.4 years? That's great! Volvo's aren't particularly efficient so other ones are probably even better! And if you have some solar panels on your home think how quickly the break even point will come! Plus as the power grid becomes more green your car will just get better and better unlike ICE!!

quote:

then I’d have to replace the battery, resetting the break even calculus.

False.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Toe Rag posted:

Buddy why even have a car if you don't drive more 10k a year, those are loving rookie numbers. I drive more in a week than you do in month, are you even trying? Get on my level or gtfo

Sorry if you feel bad I just replied to your screed on EVs in the manner it deserved. Just because they aren't a magic bullet doesn't mean they can't be part of the solution, and the impact on local air pollution is an excellent argument in their favour. Replacement rates are 7 years and getting longer, so nearly all EVs will meet their CO2 deficit compared to ICE equivalent and then some.

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

Toe Rag posted:

The efficiency of a power plant vs collection of individual ICE is wholly omitted from your remarks—further faulting an already bad take. Are you a petrol corpo?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

TheBacon posted:

A man of taste.

I told myself we wouldn't make the same mistake and get the base Macan again. It's a fantastic car, but the lag when passing is a bit too much for my taste.

Looking at the Macan EV stats, that's probably not really an issue.

Macan EV vs gas isn't really a rational decision: I could probably get a CPO Macan S/GTS for half the price of a new Macan EV. 90% of my commuting is in the city, and it'd be kind of nice not to have to visit a gas station.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Mar 20, 2024

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
One of the most underrated part of EVs is that you can get some at that are incredibly fast but docile daily drivers that at worst cost less to buy and run than a similar luxury-level gas car, especially if it's rebate eligible. After owning a lot of DD performance car/SUVs and even our 911, I wouldn't trade the EV6 for any of them.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

bird with big dick posted:

Do you really hate EVs or are they just not suited to your particular automotive tastes? Because there’s a difference and the former seems to be largely the domain of the Trump loving coal roller types.

Man there is a lot to say that I’ll save the thread since apparently people call facts “all of that is false” here. But yes I do not like EVs and believe there is an argument they are net negative due to the affect I can’t remember the name of where they do a little bit but people think they do a lot so they cool the willingness to actually take appropriate steps. EVs are not the panacea they are prevented as. And as Toe Rag alluded to, one of the main issues is the overly destructive mining required for the rare earths and even more so the multiple international shippings required to bring an EV to your door step. The thing about a liquid combustible along the line of a petro chemical is that it is extremely energy dense. You cannot run a container ship on an EV and tractor-trailers/lauries sort of have some sort of maybe some routes could be but overall also not able to replace those. The pollution ‘saved’ by an EV for personal commute is fractional to that put forth by mass logistics. And especially so as Toe Rag mentioned if the electricity is from loving coal or natural gas anyway. The efficiencies of of small ICE engines have gotten very good but I also think have been semi stymied by investment in EV. I also think personally that resources that should have gone into ‘synthetic gas’ aka carbon capture hydrocarbon production that can actually replace the energy density needed to sustain the entire global eco system we have made have gone into EVs. I also think EVs have allowed people to not look at the impact of continuing to run coal and natural gas power plants which are actually the places where cutting fossil fuels makes the most sense as electricity generation does not need to be mobile, so investing in grid to be able to transmit power from green sources (or nuclear for the immediate needs) would be much better than EV infrastructure.

If people like durr push pedal go fast, whatever. And I am fine if people want to have an EV for their personal vehicle choices. I also dislike them on the emotional experience that I want out of my vehicle, but that applies to a lot more than just EVs. To me it is somewhat akin to the large push euros made in the 2000s for diesel when it turns out they were all cheating anyway with them and so actually that was pretty bad to do. It’s like when they tell californians to not water their lawns (which lawns are bad) but dump millions of gallons into almonds for pennies because of perverted ancient water rights bs.

And for the record I am extremely anti trump and think we should line up coal rollers on the wall. The only way I would be close to them is if you subscribe to horseshoe theory politics.

Ended up doing a mini ‘screed’ anyway.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

christ that's some stupid poo poo

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Yeah whatever I am in a bad mood because I was told this week that my department (IT/Ops) is not part of the future of the vision of making our company successful so we will no longer be company employees.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

TheBacon posted:

And especially so as Toe Rag mentioned if the electricity is from loving coal or natural gas anyway.

Here, from the Union of Concerned Scientists. https://www.ucsusa.org/sites/default/files/2020-05/evs-cleaner-than-gasoline.pdf

When comparing the emissions involved in the extraction, refining, transportation, and combustion of gasoline vs powerplant emissions (including the mining of coal or extraction of natural gas or the birds murdered by wind turbines), the worst grid in the US is the Midwest Reliability Organization, East. The average EV in Wisconsin has equivalent emissions to a 39MPG gasoline burning car. If you live in upstate New York, the average EV has equivalent emissions to a 231MPG car. 94% of people in the US live in a region where the average EV outperforms a hypothetical 50mpg car.

Mining the metals to produce an EV battery is bad, but there are promising new developments in battery technology that will allow us to do more with less toxicity. Once a battery is produced, it is useful and reusable. Even after its capacity drops below what EV owners consider acceptable, the individual cells don't just enter the waste stream. They can be reused for stationary electricity storage.

I am less bullish on the future small ICE engines and synthetic fuels than you are. We're running into the limits of thermodynamics. I think synthetic fuels have a future for powering enthusiast cars when gas stations go the way of the dinosaur, but I think battery technology has a lot more room for research and improvement over yet another 2.0L turbocharged inline four.

TheBacon posted:

Yeah whatever I am in a bad mood because I was told this week that my department (IT/Ops) is not part of the future of the vision of making our company successful so we will no longer be company employees.

loving shortsighted assholes. I'm sorry.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
okay but somebody give me an old macan

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Residency Evil posted:

I told myself we wouldn't make the same mistake and get the base Macan again. It's a fantastic car, but the lag when passing is a bit too much for my taste.

Looking at the Macan EV stats, that's probably not really an issue.

Macan EV vs gas isn't really a rational decision: I could probably get a CPO Macan S/GTS for half the price of a new Macan EV. 90% of my commuting is in the city, and it'd be kind of nice not to have to visit a gas station.

I think you should get the EV Macan. Or a sport turismo Taycan that someone else has taken the depreciation hit on.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

You know what i mean, panamanamanmananara wagon that you can get in a hybrid if he doesn't want to go full EV yet. It's even faster than the regular version.

Normal Person
Oct 14, 2011
Aaaaaaanyway, Macan GTS is a great car and you won't go wrong -- especially if you already like the platform.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

TheBacon posted:

Man there is a lot to say that I’ll save the thread since apparently people call facts “all of that is false” here.

You’re right is wasn’t all false it was 1/3 false, 1/3 a dumb argument based off his personal usage stats which are like 1/2 of the average, and 1/3 straw man.

It was a bad post and I haven’t read the rest of yours but I suspect it is also a bad post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

TheBacon posted:

That sucks man, I'm sorry.