Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

knox_harrington posted:

I think you should get the EV Macan. Or a sport turismo Taycan that someone else has taken the depreciation hit on.

If I could fit a car over ~190 inches in my garage spot this would already be there. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Residency Evil posted:

If I could fit a car over ~190 inches in my garage spot this would already be there. :sigh:

Buy a new house for your car, EZ

(Or build another garage if you have space?)

TeMpLaR
Jan 13, 2001

"Not A Crook"
I bought a new 718 to replace my GTS 4.0. I really loved my GTS 4.0 but I found myself making too many upgrades to it and wanted to put a stop to that. Cannot wait to take this out to the track.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

TeMpLaR posted:

I bought a new 718 to replace my GTS 4.0. I really loved my GTS 4.0 but I found myself making too many upgrades to it and wanted to put a stop to that. Cannot wait to take this out to the track.

Holy poo poo congrats!

New from a dealer?

TeMpLaR
Jan 13, 2001

"Not A Crook"

Residency Evil posted:

Holy poo poo congrats!

New from a dealer?

I should have been more clear, it's new to me. It had 3000 miles when I bought it. Full PPF'd. Tomorrow it goes to the shop for a color matched harness bar.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Yeah congrats, more pics. Want to see what that color looks like

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:
Holy poo poo. Congrats! drat good choice.

Edit: How do you get over tracking such an expensive machine?

Pr0kjayhawk fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Mar 22, 2024

TeMpLaR
Jan 13, 2001

"Not A Crook"

slidebite posted:

Yeah congrats, more pics. Want to see what that color looks like

It's Midnight Blue, black painted PCCBs.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Stunning :swoon:

TeMpLaR
Jan 13, 2001

"Not A Crook"

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

Holy poo poo. Congrats! drat good choice.

Edit: How do you get over tracking such an expensive machine?

Track insurance helps to a point, but the deductible is still pretty high. Honestly I just don't think about it. I walk to work and don't really need to own a car at all. It would be sad to have a problem at the track but I bought it to use it, it is not meant to sit in the garage with dust over it. I plan to put some miles on it.

After this I think it makes more sense to have a Clubsport and some sort of comfortable tow vehicle. It would be about the same cost, and this car is so powerful that driving it on the street at all is a bit ridiculous.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

That. Is. Sweet.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

TeMpLaR posted:

It's Midnight Blue, black painted PCCBs.

Very nice. Are you deaf yet?

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
That car is fuckin SICK and I would love to try something like on track.

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022
Man I wish those were around back when I worked at the tuning shop I was at.

That's really nice looking and I would love to push that on a track

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

I've been in one on track. AMA

Student's car; I wasn't driving, unfortunately. Or at least I wasn't the one operating the controls

TeMpLaR
Jan 13, 2001

"Not A Crook"

SlapActionJackson posted:

Student's car; I wasn't driving, unfortunately. Or at least I wasn't the one operating the controls

Did they modify the front and rear aero for maximum attack prior to the track day? I’m having track suspension setup done and max downforce set when it’s in having the harness bar done.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

SlapActionJackson posted:

Have you ever been in a factory car that was louder inside? Utterly berserk capabilities on these things and the roar from 6" behind your head is incredible as they hit 8+k

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Nope, just stock except for the tires. That student was intermediate level, so it's not like he was getting 10/10ths out of the car. It was :krad: all the same.

Ether Frenzy posted:

Have you ever been in a factory car that was louder inside? Utterly berserk capabilities on these things and the roar from 6" behind your head is incredible as they hit 8+k

It is indeed loud for a factory car, but not loud next to mufflerless race cars. My helmet is effective at noise reduction in the latter, so the GT4RS wasn't uncomfortable.

SlapActionJackson fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Mar 23, 2024

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
This has inspired me to send my q1-2 monthly text to my dealer, asking if he has a gt4rs allocation for me yet.

Spoiler: he doesn’t.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:
Used is not an option?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

Used is not an option?

Nah. If I'm buying that car, i want to spec it how i want and drive it in Europe.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
Let’s say I’m an idiot and walk into a Porsche dealership. I have a spec sheet for a new Carrera T and tell them I want one built exactly like this (nothing insane but also not the highest specced one you can possibly make). How is that going to go? Are they going to kill me on markup? Tell me to take a hike? Pretend like my money is actually something they desire and give me good customer service?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Last I heard new 911s were booking well over a model year in advance. A friend of mine went to Porsche Calgary last year to order a 911 and they wouldn't do it, period.

Hopefully its better now but I too would be curious to know.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Did Porsche resolve their banned electronics import issue?

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

The Management posted:

Let’s say I’m an idiot and walk into a Porsche dealership. I have a spec sheet for a new Carrera T and tell them I want one built exactly like this (nothing insane but also not the highest specced one you can possibly make). How is that going to go? Are they going to kill me on markup? Tell me to take a hike? Pretend like my money is actually something they desire and give me good customer service?

Some dealers will happily take your money and lie to you about when you'll get the car. Some will tell you some degree of truth. It's really best to call every dealer within twice the range you think you're willing to travel and find with an allocation they will give you, or possibly sell you. Even with an allocation expect at least six months to get the car. Don't risk things like European or PEC delivery. Be willing to make compromises. Look for existing cars on lots or in transit matching the key parts of your spec.

Russian Bear posted:

Did Porsche resolve their banned electronics import issue?

Yes, but people will probably be mentioning it for the rest of time.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Aquila posted:

Some dealers will happily take your money and lie to you about when you'll get the car. Some will tell you some degree of truth. It's really best to call every dealer within twice the range you think you're willing to travel and find with an allocation they will give you, or possibly sell you. Even with an allocation expect at least six months to get the car. Don't risk things like European or PEC delivery. Be willing to make compromises. Look for existing cars on lots or in transit matching the key parts of your spec.

Yes, but people will probably be mentioning it for the rest of time.

I saw it reported early February, so it's not like it has been that long to solve a massive supply line problem. But i'm sure people will mention it to not discount their prices.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
There’s a surprising inventory of T’s at dealers here. Of course they all have every option imaginable. I’ll keep wading through those to see what turns up.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

My local dealer told us when we ordered our Macan that European delivery exists outside of a dealers allocated units.
Granted this was in 2017, so that may have changed.
But if it's still true, if you're willing to spring for Stuttgart delivery, the dealer can order you the car even if they don't have an allocation for it.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

McTinkerson posted:

in 2017, so that may have changed.

Everything changed in 2020. Many things about buying luxury goods you think or want to have changed back most dealers desperately want to keep. When I suggest giving up on European Delivery it's more about reducing complication and focusing on the thing most important to you. If a dealer says that ED will get you a guaranteed allocation then by all means do it, that's less than you might pay for an allocation directly, often $5,000+.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Annoyingly I've capitulated and paid for Porsche Connect to get live traffic, map updates and live charger information again. 270 bucks Swiss à year which feels like a rip-off, but I guess they have you as a captive audience. It does at least work pretty well.

When I signed up for it the implication was it comes with Spotify and Apple Podcasts, which I don't really need but may be convenient I guess.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Greetings distinguished enthusiasts, I am considering transitioning from one type of boxer manufacturer (Subaru) to another, more expensive one, albeit a model without the boxer engine. After telling myself I’ll only drive stick I’ve given up on finding something spacious, fun, manual, and AWD, so I’m looking at used Macans.

It looks like 2015-2018 S models can be had in the mid 20’s with 60-80k on them. Base Cayennes aren’t any more expensive, and they are dirt cheap if I look at an older one, but I’m not really in the mood for something bigger than a Macan and I would assume parts and maintenance will be a lot more on the Cayenne.

What should I look out for? It seems like a leaking timing chain cover seems to be common.

Anything else I should consider? Spend more on newer or less on older?

The car will be a daily, occasionally do some light towing, and sick donuts in the snow.

I have a lift, tools, some patience, and no value for my personal time for simpler things that I can do myself, but I’m looking for something fairly reliable and don’t mind paying for more serious work when it’s needed. These cars seem pretty solid though?

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I've had my 2017 Macan Turbo for about 2 years and it's by far the best DD and overall vehicle I've ever owned. Haven't done anything besides oil changes. For the price I'm really not sure what you can get that's better when considering the balance of practicality, quality, performance etc.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

i own every Bionicle posted:

Greetings distinguished enthusiasts, I am considering transitioning from one type of boxer manufacturer (Subaru) to another, more expensive one, albeit a model without the boxer engine. After telling myself I’ll only drive stick I’ve given up on finding something spacious, fun, manual, and AWD, so I’m looking at used Macans.

Manual BMW E91 wagon xdrive OP.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

TheBacon posted:

I’ve looked at them, as well as manual X5’s and X3’s, and manual Cayennes. My buddy has a manual Cayenne GT-S that is super cool, I’m just really sick of searching high and low for old cars that are super hard to find and aren’t that exciting aside from the stick. I’m coming out of a manual Forester XT which was charming but all of them are rusted as hell and clapped out at this point, no matter how much you want to pay, and my other car/track car is a Legacy GT wagon on its second built motor.

There are just so many used Macans out there it seems like a sweet spot if I relax one of my car nerd criteria.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Cayennes rule and macans drool, hth.

Seriously though, if it makes you feel any better, I've heard that the manual transmission in a Cayenne feels truck-like and isn't a lot of fun to drive.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Safety Dance posted:

Seriously though, if it makes you feel any better, I've heard that the manual transmission in a Cayenne feels truck-like and isn't a lot of fun to drive.

Even in the GTS, the MT is best described as agricultural. It was a huge miss and disapointed me to no end. But I'm still happily driving my 04 turbo once I got over the idea HAD TO have a manual and move on to a high spec first gen.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

TheBacon posted:

To get that combo he will pay Macan money for a car that will be 12-15 years old.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Macan just ticked over 147k miles. A+ car will probably buy again.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010

ThirstyBuck posted:

To get that combo he will pay Macan money for a car that will be 12-15 years old.

I'm gonna sell my e91 in a month or so.

lfg, OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Out of curiosity, is there a scan tool I could use to calibrate the speedometer / odometer on my 2006 Cayenne, in addition to usual scan tool stuff?