Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Safety Dance posted:

Out of curiosity, is there a scan tool I could use to calibrate the speedometer / odometer on my 2006 Cayenne, in addition to usual scan tool stuff?

My Autel 880 won't do it. Durametric won't do it. I'm assuming the factory stuff will but I haven't gotten it working yet. Would love to get this done. I also need to make it stop dropping to "normal" suspension height whenever I exceed 50 MPH because I can not make parking lot turns at normal height without my tires hitting the fender liners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Do you frequently find yourself going 50mph in parking lots? :grin:

E. I know what you mean. I'll ask my independent Porsche mechanic if he can calibrate the speedo

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Apr 14, 2024

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Lol yeah, the problem is obviously that is STAYS at normal height after exceeding 50. As opposed to hitting 70 or 80, where it drops one below "normal" and returns to normal after you're back below that speed to some extent.....haven't checked the exact fdigures.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Well Friday my Boxster dropped a lot of coolant out as I pulled unto my driveway. It seemed to come out at the cap in the trunk, so I bought a new one and grabbed some of the pink radiator fluid to top it off. Took a quick ride around the block and it did it again, so it was not the cap. Going to the shop this week for diagnosis, I need a lift and tools if I am going to continue owning this thing :(

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Isn't a cracked coolant tank one of the 986's fun gotchas?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

It sure is, and it's no fun at all to get at.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Got the 987.2 out of hibernation today. Been sitting in a garage for six months and it fired up and was ready to go like it's just been sitting overnight. I sure missed my baby. Hoping Porsche will release a PCCM for the .2 soon so I can get Carplay and poo poo. The 987.1 was designated "classic" last year so we'll see when mine is.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Car passed the pressure test so a thermostat replacement is in process. Fingers crossed this is the last thing holding me back from a lovely summer of fun drives...

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

kensei posted:

Car passed the pressure test so a thermostat replacement is in process. Fingers crossed this is the last thing holding me back from a lovely summer of fun drives...

I got the car back on Friday, took it for an extended drive on Saturday and the coolant all came out again when I was pulling into the gas station. I limped it home, topped it off (about a gallon again) and got it into the shop yesterday. No news yet, but I am nervous.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

kensei posted:

I got the car back on Friday, took it for an extended drive on Saturday and the coolant all came out again when I was pulling into the gas station. I limped it home, topped it off (about a gallon again) and got it into the shop yesterday. No news yet, but I am nervous.

Was the coolant tested for exhaust gases?

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

i own every Bionicle posted:

Was the coolant tested for exhaust gases?

I do not know! I can ask that.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

So, it was the coolant cap the whole time. The shop offered to replace it the first time but I told them no, I had just gotten it from Amazon. They have a tester for it and found out it was defective. I got a new one from them which they tested and have not had an issue since. I am livid with the part being defective, it was certified to use with my car. Just bad luck.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

kensei posted:

from Amazon

Aftermarket is bad enough. But Amazon is a whole other level of problems and counterfeit.

I suggest you start using places like FCP Euro, Suncoast and Pelican if not your local dealership parts department.

I wo'nt even use aftermarket Toyota, Subaru, etc partrs. The aftermarket has gone to poo poo, and "seller marketplaces" with consistent "binning" issues like Amazon have just made this so much worse.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Motronic posted:

Aftermarket is bad enough. But Amazon is a whole other level of problems and counterfeit.

I suggest you start using places like FCP Euro, Suncoast and Pelican if not your local dealership parts department.

I wo'nt even use aftermarket Toyota, Subaru, etc partrs. The aftermarket has gone to poo poo, and "seller marketplaces" with consistent "binning" issues like Amazon have just made this so much worse.

It's a part from a literal Porsche dealer selling on Amazon. I agree with you about not using aftermarket parts.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

kensei posted:

It's a part from a literal Porsche dealer selling on Amazon. I agree with you about not using aftermarket parts.

It almost definitely is not. All SKUs from all sellers go into the same "bin" at the warehouse. I'm sure the Porsche dealer you "ordered from" sent genuine ones to be out in that bin. But seller Azfbq did not, and when your order was picked the picker grabbed one of their knockoffs/seconds.

This is the core issue that makes all sellers on Amazon unreliable, by no fault of their own.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

That's possible, I complained to Amazon and was given a specific dealer's info. Of course, I would never do this again.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

kensei posted:

That's possible, I complained to Amazon and was given a specific dealer's info. Of course, I would never do this again.

It only gets worse from there. I had some URO parts sent to me from a literal Porsche dealer. They tried to tell me it was the same part but packaged differently. Things in clear plastic bags rather than a box with a standard looking Porsche sticker/part number on it that are the same basic shape but with no porsche logo or part numbers cast into the rubber are absolutely not the same (I was holding them side by side) and that poo poo is buried WAY too far into my air shocks to be putting in inferior parts.

Unfortunately, you need to be on the lookout for this everywhere now. It's only getting worse.

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

kensei posted:

So, it was the coolant cap the whole time. The shop offered to replace it the first time but I told them no, I had just gotten it from Amazon. They have a tester for it and found out it was defective. I got a new one from them which they tested and have not had an issue since. I am livid with the part being defective, it was certified to use with my car. Just bad luck.

Oh that's infuriating, because I've had that happen before where the last thing I checked was the newest thing I got because surely this brand new part couldn't be broken out the box, right?

I won't buy car parts off Amazon anymore because I have zero faith in the authenticity of supposed "OEM" parts, even from what are supposed to be reliable sellers.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
I'm finishing up a Macan Turbo config and the array of options is dizzying. Really excited after the array of unembargoed videos late last week, including Top Gear. I have to finalize it by Saturday to get the order in.

I started with https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRDQ4486 and thought the Turbonite highlights were pretty cool. The wheels are Vesuvius gray and I'm having trouble determining if they actually match, so I tried to shift it to two-tone. Here's what I'm currently thinking:

https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRYAX2K3

Things I still need to decide on:
14 way vs 18 way seats - going to go sit in both.
thermal & noise glass vs rear wiper - anyone with a gas Macan care to comment on if the cell phone reception takes an unacceptable hit, or if the wiper's a necessity?
Steering wheel - leather vs race tex for durability?

Still might pay way too much for deviated stitching too. Anyways, I know this stuff is subjective but please critique my build.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

KS posted:

I'm finishing up a Macan Turbo config and the array of options is dizzying. Really excited after the array of unembargoed videos late last week, including Top Gear. I have to finalize it by Saturday to get the order in.

I started with https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRDQ4486 and thought the Turbonite highlights were pretty cool. The wheels are Vesuvius gray and I'm having trouble determining if they actually match, so I tried to shift it to two-tone. Here's what I'm currently thinking:

thermal & noise glass vs rear wiper - anyone with a gas Macan care to comment on if the cell phone reception takes an unacceptable hit, or if the wiper's a necessity?

Still might pay way too much for deviated stitching too. Anyways, I know this stuff is subjective but please critique my build.

2017 Macan (proto-T) owner chiming in on what I can.
The 18 way seats are very very nice if you're taller.
Rear wiper is useless and there's a TSB on it in Canada since the spring and hinge like to seize up.
Leather steering wheel as far as durability goes holds up really well. Even if you wear rings. We hit it with conditioner once a year and it's still basically brand new.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Yeah, I learned a pretty expensive lesson. I have gotten things like the shocks for my frunk lid from Amazon, no issues. I won't ever buy something like a radiator cap there ever again :(

e: \/\/ heard

kensei fucked around with this message at 22:21 on May 1, 2024

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
just don't buy parts on Amazon at all

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

KS posted:

Looks great. I went through the configuration process for my Taycan fewer years ago so sympathise

I got Innodrive and it's the only thing I would definitely not get again. I have it switched down to regular ACC. If you have to select it to get active lane keep I guess you have to.

Matrix headlights are fantastic and I understand they are now allowed to be activated in the US. I'd definitely recommend adding those (if they're not in some package I can't see).

People like the Porsche crests on headrests and it's a pretty cheap option.

I have the 18-way seats in my car, appreciate they're not going to be exactly the same in the Macan but I really like them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

The ride on my '05 (V6, no air ride) Cayenne is extremely harsh in anything but highways.

It has 160K on it and I doubt that any of the struts have been replaced.

I have been hesitant to swap 'em out because my experience has shown that new struts tend to be harsher, but that's not what I'm hearing about these guys.