Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I think the carmax warranty is fine as long as you get dealer service for everything and document document document. Your first track day probably voids the warranty though. CPO may be cheaper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

Elephanthead posted:

I think the carmax warranty is fine as long as you get dealer service for everything and document document document. Your first track day probably voids the warranty though. CPO may be cheaper.

Ah, the whole point was to get a car more fun to track than my WRX, thanks for this

One last question for the day: Is it a total waste of time to look into base Cayman's? Or should I go S or go home?

Mostly an issue because the WRX is making 300 brake so I don't want the step down to dampen the transition

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

thechalkoutline posted:

Ah, so it seems CPO is vastly preferable to just getting a PPI for a non-CPO. Do I still need to get a PPI on a CPO? Seems redundant

I haven't bothered with an inspection. If there are problems, the dealer gets to fix it anyway. I probably have some luxury in that there are five Porsche dealers in this area, so there's a lot of incentive to keep me happy. I've never worried about or had a warranty on any other car, but it's magic when the dealer gets paid by Porsche to fix your car. I traded in my '09 when the CPO ran out.

thechalkoutline posted:

It has to be a manual so I take it I don't have to worry this PDK stuff
Cool. You still should try to get Sport Chrono though.

thechalkoutline posted:

And no IMS problems? Dangit that's gonna edge my cap up but good to know, thanks for the advice

Different engine in the '09, no IMS at all, therefore no problem.

And yes, I would definitely get an S. If I had to prioritize, I'd get an '09 base over an '08 S, but I'd try really hard to get an '09 S. Same thing I did when I got my 911. But the non-S isn't going to be a bad car. It's still a Cayman, and Caymans are drat fun. I'd just rather have the more power, bigger brakes, and more standard features that the S comes with.

Gorgar fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Mar 16, 2015

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

Gorgar posted:

And yes, I would definitely get an S. If I had to prioritize, I'd get an '09 base over an '08 S, but I'd try really hard to get an '09 S. Same thing I did when I got my 911. But the non-S isn't going to be a bad car. It's still a Cayman, and Caymans are drat fun. I'd just rather have the more power, bigger brakes, and more standard features that the S comes with.

Older S vs newer base was pretty much the question I was gonna ask, I'll be on the lookout for sport chrono as well; thanks much!

Mar 25, 2004

1985 930 Turbo Euro Spec with 36k miles. I've posted it before but, you know, Porsche thread.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

655321 posted:

1985 930 Turbo Euro Spec with 36k miles. I've posted it before but, you know, Porsche thread.

Bravo, love it. Post more pics. :)

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
You could post a new pic everyday and I would dig it

fingerling
Mar 7, 2010

655321 posted:

I don't want to be one of those people that makes you see the same image right after it's posted but... :drat:

That thing is sexy as hell. Noice.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
Ugh, this thread is killing me...

One day I will own an aircooled Porsche turbo!

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Not mine (but the old man finally let me drive it last time we were over there):

That's 9 mpg in US gallons. Had to work pretty hard to get it that low!

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

655321 posted:

Was hoping you would post that, my favorite car in AI. Just beautiful and the perfect Porsche IMO.

ynotony
Apr 14, 2003

Yea...this is pretty much the smartest thing I have ever done.
How fitting, this thread pops up a few days before taking this guy home:

This 2007 C2S broke many straight years of BMWs. I've seen the light.

Kellefornia
Nov 4, 2010
This thread contains too many new cars. Let's bring it back to the original air cooled Porsche.

1960 356 B (T5). Numbers-matching but slightly lowered and with a big-bore kit. Just put a Reutter luggage rack on it (will have to grab some pictures).

Kellefornia fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Mar 19, 2015

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Always a pleasure to drive my parents 997.1 C4S cabriolet every time I visit them. Yes its a convertible but at least I talked them into getting a stick. Would buy it off them in a second had they gotten a C2S coupe but at least they let me drive it when I'm in town.

Considering a 997.2 GTS or new Cayman GTS as my next car but am reluctant as Porsche's have replaced BMW/Audi/MB as the desired "look at how successful I am" brand around here.

The obvious answer is to buy an air cooled project car when I get the garage space.

EvilBlackRailgun fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Mar 19, 2015

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009

Not a turbo but a huge amount of fun.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Kellefornia posted:

This thread contains too many new cars. Let's bring it back to the original air cooled Porsche.

1960 356 B (T5). Numbers-matching but slightly lowered and with a big-bore kit. Just put a Reutter luggage rack on it (will have to grab some pictures).

Oh hey 356 buddy, this is my fathers number matching super 1600 I helped restore (he insists on dressing it up for car shows.)

If it gets a clean bill of health, he is selling me his 2006 Boxster in a few weeks so that is something I cant think of without smiling.

dubzee
Oct 23, 2008

Exactly my feelings on the matter.

Took some pics at a porsche art exhibit last year, ill post the good ones after work.

E: uh this was supposed to quote nitrospazz.... Awful app strikes again

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

My hope is to one day have a 911 and a beater pickup truck. :smith:

Mar 25, 2004

I am always surprised to see the love for the Turbo. Thanks guys! I will get some more pictures and some details about it soon. The whole story of how it was acquired is pretty fun, and its an absolute blast of a car. I need to start driving it more as it gets unhappy when it sits, and the weather in AZ is perfect if it would just stop raining.

Nice cars, everyone. I love the 356s.

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer

655321 posted:

The whole story of how it was acquired is pretty fun
If you haven't already, please do tell. :allears:

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

655321 posted:

My favorite 911s are the ones with the ridiculous spoilers, mostly from the 80s, I think. If the prices weren't so crazy on them, I'd seriously consider buying one.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I forgot to post it the other day when spotted but i actually saw a split window pre-A 356 driving the other day.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
I'm going to look at (and probably buy) a 99 Boxster this morning. Will report back.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Started out like

Then I found this:

Which pretty much necessitated:

Now with 100% more IROC tail and -100lbs of steel off the rear end:

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

thechalkoutline posted:

One last question for the day: Is it a total waste of time to look into base Cayman's? Or should I go S or go home?

Mostly an issue because the WRX is making 300 brake so I don't want the step down to dampen the transition

Late response but the base Caymans are still worth looking at. I knew a guy who would track his all the time; it was caged and modded (r-comps and so forth) but did a good job of keeping up with higher HP cars. Anecdotally I've heard that the base engine has fewer issues than the 3.4 does at the track, although that sample size is likely a lot smaller

However, that one car was the only base Cayman I ever encountered at the track and the guy ended up putting the car on its side at Thunderhill (last turn coming on to the main straight), crumpling an a-pillar in the process. I still remember I was ordering a burger when it happened and then everybody took off running in the direction of the sound

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

McMadCow posted:

I'm going to look at (and probably buy) a 99 Boxster this morning. Will report back.

I'm a man of my word. :colbert:

'99 2.5 with 92K on the clock. It's pretty much the best condition car I came across, and all the maintenance is up to the minute, including the retrofitted IMS.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

McMadCow posted:

'99 2.5 with 92K on the clock. It's pretty much the best condition car I came across, and all the maintenance is up to the minute, including the retrofitted IMS.

Is that your 924/944 in the garage?

If you've driven a Miata before I'd be interested in a Boxster comparo.

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

McMadCow posted:

how much was it? Just helped one of my guys pick up a 00' base out in hawaii for $7k with 62k on the clock

Mar 25, 2004

krnhotwings posted:

If you haven't already, please do tell. :allears:

I was only a couple years old at the time in 1985 and I had always lived with my dad and traveled everywhere with him. He had been a Porsche guy since his first 356C in the 60s and was never without one since that car. He decided to upgrade and I'm not exactly sure how he did it, but we flew to Houston and got picked up at the airport by a dude who seemed to know my dad. He took us to a warehouse and inside there were a few Porsches, including a hot pink Gemballa that was ugly as hell. Back in the back he pulled off a car cover to reveal the black 930 Turbo, just arrived from Germany the day before. My dad paid the man in cash and we took off and drove back to Phoenix and during that drive was the only time it has rained on that car in its entire ownership. My dad took care of that thing meticulously and I learned to drive in it, and eventually we did a few things like upgrade the headers and the exhaust, turbo and fuel system, and the intercooler. I bought it from him years back when he was talking about upgrading but he still hasn't because the new cars just aren't the same.

So I guess not an amazing story but I always thought it was fun.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

blk posted:

Is that your 924/944 in the garage?

If you've driven a Miata before I'd be interested in a Boxster comparo.

No, the 944 belongs to an acquaintance of ours in the next garage. It's a pretty nice street/track car.

I've driven a Miata once like 10 years ago, and not in anger. I'm not really used to the Boxster yet so I wouldn't be able to tell anyway. I flogged it a bit up a mountain road last night, but I haven't taken it out to a parking lot to find out the grip levels and the balance.

Arione posted:

how much was it? Just helped one of my guys pick up a 00' base out in hawaii for $7k with 62k on the clock

drat that's a good deal. Mine was 7.5K. I'm not upset though, mine is in super good shape.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

McMadCow posted:

...including the retrofitted IMS.

I thought the Boxsters didn't suffer from the IMS/RMS issues?

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

Mat_Drinks posted:

The early ones with the double row IMS bearing have very few failures but it still happens. Once they went to the singe row in around 2000-1 the failures became a big problem. It's still a good thing for peace of mind to retrofit or at least replace the bearing in the older cars.

But yeah, 2001-2006 Boxsters were part of the class action lawsuit over grenading engines. I think they had a failure rate just as high as 911s.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

655321 posted:

I was only a couple years old at the time in 1985 and I had always lived with my dad and traveled everywhere with him. He had been a Porsche guy since his first 356C in the 60s and was never without one since that car. He decided to upgrade and I'm not exactly sure how he did it, but we flew to Houston and got picked up at the airport by a dude who seemed to know my dad. He took us to a warehouse and inside there were a few Porsches, including a hot pink Gemballa that was ugly as hell. Back in the back he pulled off a car cover to reveal the black 930 Turbo, just arrived from Germany the day before. My dad paid the man in cash and we took off and drove back to Phoenix and during that drive was the only time it has rained on that car in its entire ownership. My dad took care of that thing meticulously and I learned to drive in it, and eventually we did a few things like upgrade the headers and the exhaust, turbo and fuel system, and the intercooler. I bought it from him years back when he was talking about upgrading but he still hasn't because the new cars just aren't the same.

So I guess not an amazing story but I always thought it was fun.

:stare:

Wow. It's a beautiful car and a great story, too. I'm super jealous.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Mat_Drinks posted:

Indeed they do, just as much as the 911. March 28 2014 my friends 2003 Boxster S blew up thanks to the IMS bearing disintegrating. That car had been completely babied from new, only serviced at Porsche at basically half the recommended intervals since she didn't drive it during winter.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Indeed they do, just as much as the 911. March 28 2014 my friends 2003 Boxster S blew up thanks to the IMS bearing disintegrating. That car had been completely babied from new, only serviced at Porsche at basically half the recommended intervals since she didn't drive it during winter.

That's pretty much completely in line with what I've heard about the IMS issue... that because of the nature of the design flaw, cars that are babied and/or driven rarely are actually MORE prone to failure. That's because the disintegrating bearing is caused by oil that penetrates the seal and goes rancid. Cars that are flogged and undergo regular oil intervals as a result don't let the bad oil build up against the seal.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Anyway, I'll just quote myself from whenever (long before the car killed itself);

quote:

Well. My friend owns a 2003 Boxster S and it's a very nice car and all, but she's totally loaded from an inheritance. I wouldn't buy a car with the M96 engine in it if I didn't have a really fat account. You've got the famous IMS bearing failures. If/when you change the clutch, you have to change the flywheel as well as per Porsche instructions. Problems with cracked heads, mostly pertaining to the 3.2/3.4s...

To be fair, all the problems [including] the IMS bearing should be classified as very uncommon (but still oh so expensive *if* it happens). Porsche eliminated the intermediate shaft, and hence the bearing, in 2009.

SniperFox
Mar 19, 2015
Personally a BMW M3 owner here, but I love Porsches so forgive me for dirtying up your Porsche thread with my BMW Stink - Specifically I love the GT3 line up. I have drooled over 997.1 RS's for years and hope to someday get one. For now I just deal with friends who have them. I hate Porsche have put in the PDK though. it's an atrocity to the heritage of them and it makes me sad. Rowing gears is so much more fun, regardless of lap times.

Totally jealous of the 944 though... I used to lust after 944's in the late 90's as my first car. 944 Turbo or 944S2 would have been amazing. But stupid for a teenager!

Edit: Here's my buddy's .1 RS, fondly dubbed "Frog.0" for its 4.0L upgrade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3OdfFwnZUs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVuTpL8mgJU

SniperFox fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Mar 23, 2015

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

The joke in the BMW thread is about "Superior German Adhesives", but I just debadged the broken script on my Boxster last night and it took me HOURS. The adhesive foam underneath the letters had to be soaked and scraped again and again and even after taking a clay bar and rubbing compound to the area the faintest outline remains. Well done Porsche on securing the letters until the end of time, but try making the letters themselves a bit more durable...

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

Admirable Gusto posted:

Late response but the base Caymans are still worth looking at. I knew a guy who would track his all the time; it was caged and modded (r-comps and so forth) but did a good job of keeping up with higher HP cars. Anecdotally I've heard that the base engine has fewer issues than the 3.4 does at the track, although that sample size is likely a lot smaller

However, that one car was the only base Cayman I ever encountered at the track and the guy ended up putting the car on its side at Thunderhill (last turn coming on to the main straight), crumpling an a-pillar in the process. I still remember I was ordering a burger when it happened and then everybody took off running in the direction of the sound

Thanks, appreciated but I ended up going with a MY08 Cayman S. Having it shipped and if it passes the inspection I won't return it.

Scant details so I'm not getting my hopes up but it looks like a unicorn on paper: driven 3k miles a year and sitting at 23k miles after 6 years, clean Car Fax, from rust-free area etc. all for 35k.

It's from Car Max so I figured I'd get the extended warranty in case the IMS goes, I spent a lot of time looking for a MY09 base everywhere (since I wouldn't need CPO or a warranty for IMS) but they were too rare, unfortunately.

Hadn't heard of retrofitting the IMS though? Not useful for my situation but curious to hear if this is worthwhile/effective usually?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Look at it like this; the IMS bearing is like a really, really expensive timing belt. WHEN it goes your engine is mostly toast, and even if you change it you WILL have to change it AGAIN (assuming you own the car for a longer period of time).