Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BabyArm
Mar 29, 2005

Like I give a crap!

howling_mad posted:

Beautiful. Year and specs?

Gracias! It's a '69 912. Numbers matching car. She's actually more of a driver paint-wise than the overly dramatic night time garage pic shows.

Bought it from a guy out in SoCal a few years back. Unfortunately, I don't know much else as the car didn't have any records prior to his ownership.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
Not quite in line with the other cars in this thread but we just put our order in for a '16 Macan S for late September delivery. It can't come soon enough :ohdear:

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Jymmybob posted:

Not quite in line with the other cars in this thread but we just put our order in for a '16 Macan S for late September delivery. It can't come soon enough :ohdear:

Hark, a mythical "new Porsche buyer" spotting! Thank you for doing your part for the betterment of society and taking a depreciation hit for those of us that want one down the road. :)

Seriously though, congrats, that stands to be an awesome car. Very curious to hear your take on the performance of the TT V6.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

Tremek posted:

Hark, a mythical "new Porsche buyer" spotting! Thank you for doing your part for the betterment of society and taking a depreciation hit for those of us that want one down the road. :)

Seriously though, congrats, that stands to be an awesome car. Very curious to hear your take on the performance of the TT V6.

It's a company vehicle so buying new isn't as terrible, otherwise I always buy used. My previous car was an S4 so the PDK + V6TT is a really close analog to the DCT + supercharged V6 and the PDK is miles smoother and more refined but it also doesn't seem as aggressive when pushed. The V6TT is good but not up to par with the effortless power from the S4 3.0. I haven't gotten to play with a Macan with PASM so it's not completely fair to compare the 2 directly but as a DD Porsche I can't imagine being disappointed. I took a hail mary on the air suspension too so that should at least make it look better even if it doesn't affect performance that much. Either way not much my problem since it's going to be my wife's and still the 2nd fastest SUV in the household

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

BabyArm posted:

Gracias! It's a '69 912. Numbers matching car. She's actually more of a driver paint-wise than the overly dramatic night time garage pic shows.

Bought it from a guy out in SoCal a few years back. Unfortunately, I don't know much else as the car didn't have any records prior to his ownership.

I am super super jealous. Your car is beautiful and I had just started looking at 912's this week. I would absolutely love an Irish Green 912. They're so beautiful in every way.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Hi Porsche thread, I remembered some old photos I took that could probably be rehosted here unless anyone has issues with that.

E: forgot a couple

Anyone recognize this? It.....it wasn't a clone.

INCHI DICKARI fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Jul 20, 2015

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

14 INCH SLIT posted:

Is that the actual car from Le Mans?

*edit*

It was for a sale a couple of years ago, looks like I missed my chance

http://www.latimes.com/business/autos/la-fi-hy-autos-porsche-917k-mcqueen-auction-20140622-story.html

MomJeans420 fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jul 20, 2015

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Holy poo poo that #26 GT1 is the Le Mans winner...

BabyArm
Mar 29, 2005

Like I give a crap!

DrakeriderCa posted:

I am super super jealous. Your car is beautiful and I had just started looking at 912's this week. I would absolutely love an Irish Green 912. They're so beautiful in every way.

If you haven't done so already, jump in to the 912 Registry site and look around. Some really good cars to be found in the "for sale" section.

http://www.912bbs.org/vb/forumdisplay.php?20-912s-For-Sale

You looking for a project or a well-sorted car?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

MomJeans420 posted:

Is that the actual car from Le Mans?

*edit*

It was for a sale a couple of years ago, looks like I missed my chance

http://www.latimes.com/business/autos/la-fi-hy-autos-porsche-917k-mcqueen-auction-20140622-story.html

Yep, it was in fact the real deal. Gave me shivers, and was the most interesting car there for me considering there were also 3 seperate 250 GTO Testarossas there.

BabyArm
Mar 29, 2005

Like I give a crap!

:drat:

A friend of mine's uncle showed up to a PCA event with a similar 904. Holy poo poo it sounded glorious!

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

BabyArm posted:

If you haven't done so already, jump in to the 912 Registry site and look around. Some really good cars to be found in the "for sale" section.

http://www.912bbs.org/vb/forumdisplay.php?20-912s-For-Sale

You looking for a project or a well-sorted car?

Thanks for this. I'm sure I'll be divorced shortly and then I can finally get a 912. :unsmith:

But as much as I'd absolutely love one I really can't do it right now. The wife isn't open to fun cars until we have more garage space and money.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

14 INCH SLIT posted:

Hi Porsche thread, I remembered some old photos I took that could probably be rehosted here unless anyone has issues with that.

E: forgot a couple

Rennsport Reunion? I am still deciding whether to go this year as it's the weekend after COTA but I am sorely tempted.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Monterey Historics at Laguna Seca, with the highlight being Porsche for their 50th anniversary a couple years back.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

DrakeriderCa posted:

Thanks for this. I'm sure I'll be divorced shortly and then I can finally get a 912. :unsmith:

But as much as I'd absolutely love one I really can't do it right now. The wife isn't open to fun cars until we have more garage space and money.

Come back... never!

:smith:

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road
which makes death a fulfillment.
(Sorry for the xpost from 'Awesome' thread but thought this should come here as well)

Saw this little thing running down the road few days ago here in Abq. Not sure if it is a real 'rallye' car or if just a tribute but it looked like a hell of a lot of fun to drive. I love older 911s.

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009

Tindjin posted:

(Sorry for the xpost from 'Awesome' thread but thought this should come here as well)

Saw this little thing running down the road few days ago here in Abq. Not sure if it is a real 'rallye' car or if just a tribute but it looked like a hell of a lot of fun to drive. I love older 911s.

Guess he tried to do a replica of this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tR5rzdZkNfY but it's wrong on so many levels

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
https://www.facebook.com/slammedenuff/videos/915542518494723/

lol boxsterowners.mpeg

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Tell me about 996 Turbos. They're still reasonably priced enough for me to afford.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:

fknlo posted:

Tell me about 996 Turbos. They're still reasonably priced enough for me to afford.

They are inherently reasonably reliable. The motor is running relatively low boost and understressed compared to what it is capable of. That said, the real world reliability of them is a complete crapshoot as it depends entirely on the maintenance of the previous owners. They have been cheap enough for a while that they may be in the hands of people not following the maintenance schedule (to include time-based service intervals).

Someone just sold a black 996TT with over 500,000 miles on it and the list of things that had to be replaced (outside of consumables) was quite low. The one I drove had a springy clutch and the shifter was not great. Power was "okay" but it probably needs a tune to wake it up. Find one with extensive maintenance records and have a blast.

Oh and that engine is about $30k to rebuild so don't do anything dumb. Also watch out for the coolant lines, they like to give up. This affected all GT1 Mezger-based cars (996 GT3/Turbo, 997.1 GT3/Turbo, 997.2 GT3) and costs about $3k to fix.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

Oh and that engine is about $30k to rebuild so don't do anything dumb.

What is is about Porsche engines that makes them so expensive to rebuild? Are the parts a lot more expensive or is the labor generally a huge chunk of that? I know even the NA ones are in the $20k range when poo poo goes bad.

Gonna talk to my credit union at work today to see what they can do for me so that if I do find something I like I can jump. I also need to try and find a couple local to drive before I decide that I really want one. I don't think the prices on them are really gonna go much lower than they are now, and I don't think they'll go completely nuts like air cooled prices, but who the hell knows.

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat

fknlo posted:

What is is about Porsche engines that makes them so expensive to rebuild? Are the parts a lot more expensive or is the labor generally a huge chunk of that? I know even the NA ones are in the $20k range when poo poo goes bad.

Gonna talk to my credit union at work today to see what they can do for me so that if I do find something I like I can jump. I also need to try and find a couple local to drive before I decide that I really want one. I don't think the prices on them are really gonna go much lower than they are now, and I don't think they'll go completely nuts like air cooled prices, but who the hell knows.

Great news, for much, much less than $30,000 you can get a built 500 hp LS and a renegade hybrids conversion kit to replace that junked Porsche motor. It also saves about 200 lbs. I also don't understand how it could ever be worth it to rebuild any 996 motor.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Modus Man posted:

Great news, for much, much less than $30,000 you can get a built 500 hp LS and a renegade hybrids conversion kit to replace that junked Porsche motor. It also saves about 200 lbs. I also don't understand how it could ever be worth it to rebuild any 996 motor.

I wish I had $25k right now. There's a 996 and a Boxster near me that are cheap because of needed repairs. It would be awesome to LS swap either of them. Mostly the Boxster though. Mid engine LS Porsche. :getin:

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

fknlo posted:

It's a direct descendant of the GT1 racing engine. Literally ripped from their endurance racing production. In GT1 trim in the 90s it was making 592hp with twin turbos so the 415hp in 996TT trim is not even close to stressing the engine. It's expensive to rebuild because it's based off of an actual race engine. Different methodologies there but they're very reliable and can be rebuilt an unlimited number of times.

Also, I found a complete, working 996TT engine on rennlist today for $7500 (http://rennlist.com/forums/parts-marketplace/891234-996-turbo-engine-complete-without-turbos.html) so apparently I was full of poo poo. Get a Cobb tune, make sure to avoid photos of the headlights and you're golden.

Oh and if you don't like the clutch, shifter, or any number of things they can be replaced. It has a strong aftermarket. And I really don't mind the headlights these days, I wish I could get over the interior though. Yikes. At least most (if not all?) 996TTs came with the full leather interior; in black it looks a lot better.

I feel like I just talked myself into a 996TT.

MortLansky
Dec 17, 2014

Modus Man posted:

Jesus christ can we finally slow down the whole LS swap bandwagon? Every mechanical vulnerability ever, regardless of make, can be solved by shoving in a pushrod V8 if you went by the way people talk on non-manufacturer specific car forums. The amount of times the suggestion comes up vs. the actual number of people driving around on real-world functioning swaps (in 911s, anyway) must be in massive disparity. Either buy a Porsche and accept what it costs or go get a Corvette or something if you're so concerned about getting eaten by maintenance. Don't drive around in some stupid fake German hillbilly cruise missile with a frankenstein wiring harness that makes engineers cry.

Maybe I'm being hyper sensitive but if you're gonna do an LS swap at least use a 928 or something that kind of actually makes sense instead of hacking up a perfectly good 911.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

MortLansky posted:

Jesus christ can we finally slow down the whole LS swap bandwagon? Every mechanical vulnerability ever, regardless of make, can be solved by shoving in a pushrod V8 if you went by the way people talk on non-manufacturer specific car forums. The amount of times the suggestion comes up vs. the actual number of people driving around on real-world functioning swaps (in 911s, anyway) must be in massive disparity. Either buy a Porsche and accept what it costs or go get a Corvette or something if you're so concerned about getting eaten by maintenance. Don't drive around in some stupid fake German hillbilly cruise missile with a frankenstein wiring harness that makes engineers cry.

Maybe I'm being hyper sensitive but if you're gonna do an LS swap at least use a 928 or something that kind of actually makes sense instead of hacking up a perfectly good 911.

Agreed. The narrow body 996 looks like a lump of poo poo anyway, there's no saving it.

The real ticket is buying a 987.1 Cayman or Boxster with a blown engine and ship it to BGB Motorsports in FL for a DFI swap. Those wizards figured out how to adapt the old EFI wiring harness and ECU to the newer (and much more reliable and powerful) DFI engine/ECU. Most people go crazy with the 997.2 GTS engine (3.8 X51) and can pretty easily hit 400whp. With the standard 3.4 you can hit 320-340whp without much trouble. Best of both worlds really.

I think I just talked myself into a new track car.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

make sure to avoid photos of the headlights and you're golden.

One of my biggest hangups with the 996 has always been the headlights, but the ones on the Turbo's really aren't that bad. It's the early ones that had the full on fried egg rounded on the bottom headlights that I can't stand. There really is no saving the narrow body ones though.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

MortLansky posted:

Lol you mad

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Were 95% of the 996TT's sold silver? Because they're all loving silver.

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat

fknlo posted:

Were 95% of the 996TT's sold silver? Because they're all loving silver.

One Of my saved searches on cars.com is for 996 TT manual, non-convertible. I'd say 95% silver is fair. A gold one showed up locally for $25k and was gone before I could think about it. I think what I like most about the 996 is that Porsche snobs don't like them. That, and it is a metric gently caress-ton of sports car for around 30k.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

MortLansky posted:

And so PADL begins...

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

Larrymer posted:

And so PADL begins...

I've needed a new avatar for a while now...

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I know that the next 911 Carrera and Carrera S are going to be turbos, but have there been any rumors how long Porsche is going to hold out making at least some of their cars NA? Any word on MY2017, 2018?

:ohdear:

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

Residency Evil posted:

I know that the next 911 Carrera and Carrera S are going to be turbos, but have there been any rumors how long Porsche is going to hold out making at least some of their cars NA? Any word on MY2017, 2018?

:ohdear:

The GT3 and GT4 are safe for now. Looking at other cars in the range, the GTS models stayed N/A a little bit longer and a lot of people preferred them over the Turbo trim because you could actually hear the engine. It's possible the 991.2 GTS would stay N/A. Porsche is very good about serving every little micro-niche and that would keep the doomers from saying "Hold on to your N/A 911s!!"

I don't have a lot of faith that Porsche will make their entire turbo range exciting. It's probably going to suck for a couple generations. It sounds like the Boxster/Cayman will go 4 cylinder and that's really, really disappointing.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
You mispelled the words 914 and awesome.

Rakekniven
Jun 4, 2000
Forum Veteran
Saw my first Cayman GT4 in the wild. It's unreal how much more aggressive they look in person than base Caymans.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Rakekniven posted:

Saw my first Cayman GT4 in the wild. It's unreal how much more aggressive they look in person than base Caymans.

I'm glad that they immediately sold a couple years worth of these right off the bat because they offer long enough loans where I could realistically afford one if I happened to come across one sitting at the dealer.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

MortLansky posted:

Don't drive around in some stupid fake German hillbilly cruise missile with a frankenstein wiring harness that makes engineers cry.

but this is exactly what makes them so appealing??

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
Went to a show a few weeks ago with my dad and we won second place! The last photo is the old goof ecstatic he finally won something.

http://m.imgur.com/a/jRccN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

ColHannibal posted:

Went to a show a few weeks ago with my dad and we won second place! The last photo is the old goof ecstatic he finally won something.

http://m.imgur.com/a/jRccN

Nice 356!

Looks like I might have a lead on a yellow 996TT. Got the number from an independent Porsche shop here in town that has been doing work on the car since 2007. According to them it's pristine outside of the spoiler not working and a few "less than tasteful stickers". I'm told it's yellow lamin-x on the headlights and a CIVIC MUSTANG PORSCHE banner on the windshield, so nothing that shouldn't be easily removable. <40k miles and $46.5k asking with some possible "wiggle room" on that. Gonna have to give that guy a call.