Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Tremek posted:

What's special about the 78-79s?

Mmm - low numbers in the US, leather dash, bigger brakes / floating front calipers, 3.0 -> 3.3 motor change, intercooler addition.

My dad had an 88 or 89 911 Targa with the whale tail when I was younger, sold it probably ten years ago. If he knew then what he knows now...

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Mar 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
...I'd take it and figure out a way to properly store it until I could afford it. Either way, it's just going to appreciate over time.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Tremek posted:

Yes, buy it.

On a different subject - I'm looking for turbo upgrades for the 2011+ 958 Cayenne Turbo and coming up short. Does anyone know which turbos are used on the 958, and any firms that are doing either turbine wheel upgrades or whole turbo replacements?

Well, avoid EvoMS. My fathers 997TT has their EVT700 kit and it was nothing but a mess.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
They did, he lives near their shop in Tempe.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

Fair enough, no excuses there. What kind of problems did the car have?

They couldn't get the car tuned properly, blamed parts on a car with 400mi on it / threw parts at it, still couldn't make the advertised power by over 100whp, etc. Massively (2+ months) over the initial time budget. It ended up going to a shop in California that tuned it.

Perhaps they are different now, this was years ago.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Arione posted:

holy gently caress, ill stick with fabspeed

Funny, they also blamed the lack of power on the car running the stage 2 Euro pipe over the Fabspeed, despite it being a more freeflowing exhaust. :)

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I have a durametric enthusiast cable. Is there a way to code with this cable? It's a 997.1TT.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jun 24, 2015

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

You mean like a Cobb Accessport? No. It can do things like clear the service reminders and an airbag warning if you install a racing seat but it cannot load new fuel/timing maps.

When did you get the 997.1 TT? How do you like it? I'm going back and forth between a 997.1 TT (fast) and 997.2 C2S (better tech/features and simpler engine) at the moment.

I just take care of it for my father... :) It's a 2007 with 12k miles on it and some goodies (65mm turbos, race europipe with stock tips, etc).

By coding I meant setting things like alarm chirp on lock, which I guess you need their Professional cable kit for. I replaced the battery and it triggered literally every fault in the system, which the cable I have worked for disabling.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jun 27, 2015

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Salvage title.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Check that silver one out carefully, if you do go look. I'd wager it was hit in the front.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

howling_mad posted:

What makes you say this? I'm viewing on mobile granted.

The front fender there doesn't exactly match the door, in my opinion. It's slightly darker. I know it could be the lighting but it's still off.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Is there any news on what is going to happen with the Cayenne diesels?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Hahahahaha.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
So.... what do we think that will go for?

edit: This is a real post.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Oct 6, 2016

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

slidebite posted:

[Bearing guy hat ON]

Ceramics serve 2 main purposes in the bearing world:

1) To prevent electrical conductivity through the bearing
2) To help eliminate rolling element skidding under low/variable loads

[/bearing guy hat OFF]

This is 100% a sidebar, but it seems like they sell ceramic wheel bearings in the motorcycle world to minify weight and rolling resistance. I'm not one to pay the prices they ask for something I will never notice, but are those valid?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
That's... quite the site he has there.
http://www.logankugler.com/

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Jymmybob posted:

I just love the crazy aero Porsches I grew up envying like this
I really hope these stay affordable for another 3-5yr.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Nov 13, 2016

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Yup. I've never been one for time capsules.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Holy loving poo poo.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Elephanthead posted:

It was a joke but it is funny because it is true.

Assuming you buy a $15k 1999 911 and have good credit, your interest expense is $262 in the first year (the most expensive interest year). Two oil changes are going to run you at least $600. If you assume a $40k porsche and a 60 month loan you still pay more for oil changes then interest ($1,800 in interest $3,000 in oil changes) . Even a new $89k porsche (Look I know a good one is $140k) the interest is still cheaper then two oil changes a year over a 60 month term (Lets assume they ding you the full $400 a change for a new one cause poo poo you can afford it $3,015 vs $4,000 for oil). What I am saying is lease and don't change the oil.

What the gently caress costs $300 for an oil change? Quit taking you car to the dealer to do an easy oil change, it's $100 in oil / filter.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Third pedal and 6 gears

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
That's a hell of a cape. :)

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Used Cayennes aren't worth poo poo, I'm seeing some non-turbos for 6-8k locally.

My parents are sitting on their 2015 Diesel with 5k miles waiting for a buyback.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Oh, poo poo, I didn't even parse that it was Canadian moneys. That's insane.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Seconded

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Residency Evil posted:

I'm confused by this. I went from a 6-speed GTI to a 6-speed cayman and had no trouble getting in the car and shifting. I think it's also ruined me for any other manual transmission.

GTI clutches feel like rear end

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Apr 18, 2017

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Paging motronic

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

willie_dee posted:

That's crazy, I wonder how the engine swap affects the handling due to the weight change.

It wouldn't, they weigh basically the same.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
http://bringatrailer.com/listing/2004-porsche-911-gt3-2/

Ughhh.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Wait, how the gently caress did you pick that up for 14.5k

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

My man.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Never really thought about what CIS was before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0gPNJdR2b4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPddzTijlXU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Haha, I marathon'd the entire build series this morning. Speed Academy is a bunch of good dudes.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
drat, that is very nice looking.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
The balls on this dude. Nice :)

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
What the gently caress is that poo poo?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Mother of loving god.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

slidebite posted:

Replaced frunk (no vin/option sticker anymore) but no accident claims on the carfax?

:raise:

Things only show up on Carfax if they are reported

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

kimbo305 posted:

Is Agency Power any good? They feel like a higher quality ripoff brand.

That's the Vivid Racing house brand, gently caress those fuckers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Larrymer posted:

I've had varying luck with these because there are only a few sizes in sets of them, and none of them ever feel like the right size.

I can agree with that. I generally hammer them on and make em fit.