Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

The price and the description :wtf:

quote:

Fully water cooled engine, replacing air cooled engines. Great condition. Text me if you’re interested.

Might be a good deal, might be a scam or might be a ticking time bomb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

quote:

Fully water cooled engine, replacing air cooled engines. Great condition. Text me if you’re interested.

Isn't exactly confidence inspiring but for it be around for this long there has to be some major issue. Or the seller doesn't respond for crap. Or it's sold and the seller can't figure out how to delete the listing and is getting bombarded with calls.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Can confirm 987 Cayman S is a great sporty daily driver. Since mid-June when it was delivered I've had to use a different vehicle because something wouldn't fit in the car one time in about 5k miles. It even gets decent mpg, 24.5, when driving it like a boring commuter.

Signed up for a track day in March, probably taking the Cayman if I make it to the event.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

bird with big dick posted:

Local Carmax has a 2018 C2 for 95k with 20k miles. Not really sure how well equipped it is (which is one of the daunting things for a newbie for Porsche shopping, identifying and valuing they seventy trillion options) but I'm guessing on the lower end of the spectrum. These are also kind of my least favorite 911 wheels, and I don't like the dark blue that much tbh

Get the VIN and plug it into here - vinanalytics.com/ I used the hell out of it when I was cayman shopping.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

I started last year thinking I could find a nice driver quality early 911 for <30k if I was patient. I'm driving a cayman if that tells you how well that search went...so much rust and so many cars in need of engine rebuilds being passed off as running great and no rust.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Ether Frenzy posted:

Does any major manufacturer even build a 'difficult to drive' car anymore? I feel like you'd have to go out of your way to even find a 20 year old car that is..

Think that's more the small production number companies now and mostly British examples come to mind like say Caterham or TVR. Not difficult to drive in that they're setup weird or in some strange way but more in the this car will do nothing to stop you from killing yourself and offers no driving aids. Otherwise you're likely looking at 30+, if not 40+, year old cars because 20 years ago was 2002 and all the driving aids were pretty standard by then.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Nice buy, 987's look real nice in white. For the suspension I have B16s on my pasm car and they are excellent for daily use in regular mode as well as running through the mountains in sport mode, the PPS9 should be even better.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Paint correction and ceramic coating is worth it IMO, makes keeping it looking clean super easy. If my friend ever gets a free weekend he's going to finish the paint correction, polish the headlights and toss on a ceramic coating.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Same with the E30 M3 but that isn't super crazy low miles at 81.5k. I keep upping my agreed value insurance but I'm still nervous driving it around and can't really enjoy it how I would like to, it's getting submitted to BaT this week. If I ever have another it'll be a street legal track rat. Low mileage, high value cars are fun in theory but when their values get close to your pre-tax income or their sale could potentially pay off a mortgage it kind of sucks.

Still loving my 'high mileage' Cayman S which is a bit over 99600 miles. 100k miles it's getting a center radiator and a new AOS then paint correction and headlight polish followed by full ceramic coating.

Wife's started playing with the idea of trading in the Highlander for a Cayenne or Macan when she finishes nursing school next spring, probably 2015-2017 range based on prices. I'm trying to explain how on a Porsche EVERYTHING is an option and we need to look at what was available then find the options that matter to her.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Jul 25, 2022

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Russian Bear posted:

Have you had any issues in the last 30k miles mechanically? Sometimes higher mileage Caymans pop up and the prices on them are almost something you'd think about. I never really hear about higher mileage issues on the internet, but I think there's just not enough of them out there being driven around past 100k+.

I bought it with 92.5k but from the records of the previous owner the only big thing was the shift cables failed somewhere in the upper 80k miles. He bought it with mid-70s and got hit with the bill for the big 80k service.

As the miles go up you're a lot less likely to see issues with the IMS, already rare on the M97 engine, but you may see bore scoring. Find a high mileage one with good records and enjoy.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

knox_harrington posted:

Those 80s plaid/check cloth seats are still so cool. My mum had similar on her mk1 vw golf gti.

Have there been any recent trims that have that kind of cloth? A base Carrera with check cloth seats would rule.

There's a few companies that will make seat inserts for your Porsche in whatever color, material or pattern you can dream up. Prices generally range from mildly expensive to lol. I'd love to do something outrageous for the cayman but haven't pulled the trigger yet, I think the stuff looks better in older cars.

Just a few examples:
https://www.classic9leathershop.com/
https://p1designs.com/
https://www.heritagetrim.com/porsche/
https://justinplacek.com/en/

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Anyone else hear about this Porsche gas emissions settlement? Previous owner forwarded me the email he received. Looks like it's more for original owners but may be worth looking into, $200 buys a few tanks of fuel.

https://www.porschegasolinesettlementusa.com

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

"Former owners, lessees, and non-original owners may be eligible to claim compensation"

Worth filling out some paperwork imo

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Encor3 posted:

'20 Taycan Turbo S. Absolutely love it, and relatively inconspicuous for a 2.6 second 0-60 car.

We saw one of those, same color and trim, at Tractor Supply the other weekend. My wife pointed it out then I geeked out for five minutes until the owner came out and we talked for a while. If I ever get to the point where I'm limited to one car and start driving more that is my pick.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

willroc7 posted:

How much does that sort of thing set you back and how do you not become hopelessly addicted to the experience? How does it compare to events where you bring your own car?

If there are tracks in your PCA region see if they do HPDE, great way to get on a track with instruction for $3-500 a weekend. Otherwise there are a ton of HPDE and track day companies that run all over the country. Ideally do a few HPDE first so you don't teach yourself bad habits then after you have a solid foundation you can look at open lapping.

HPDE, racing and track day thread - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3490129

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

That blue is such a good color. Good find!

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

The red top and interior works so good with that black/grey/whatever. Wonderful looking car.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Buy an oil filter cutter if you''re worried about it, I have this one https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N156ODN and check every other filter.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Didn't see the ramps question but what slidebite said is correct, the quickjacks are excellent and I highly recommend them. Much cheaper basic ramp alternative is the plastic rhino ramps you can get pretty much anywhere, I have these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0117EETEK that I bought on sale years ago.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

I usually store it where the wife parks, it'll catch under the 987 if I don't pull in just right. There's also wall hangers that seem fairly popular. When they're collapsed they're three inches tall.

Wall hangers $60 - https://www.quickjack.com/accessories/wall-hangers-set/

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Hi I don't know jack poo poo about Porsches, but I'm curious: if money is no object, why would anyone buy a Cayman over a 911

Do you want a sports car or a sporty grand touring car and do you need/want four seats? My brother and I did six hours, including a half hour of gravel, in the cayman yesterday and it was excellent.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Elite Taco posted:

Am I dumb and there actually IS a realoem.com equivalent for porsche cars?

I need to replace the little skid trim in front of my wheels at the bottom of my front bumper.

From the RealOem start page, their link for Porsche parts brings you to https://nemigaparts.com/cat_spares/pet/porsche/ which is pretty decent.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

No worries, I should have mentioned it took me months to realize that was there until some magic search phrase brought me there.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

https://www.killboy.com/ is the "original" and most well known one but there's a few companies doing it now. Thanks for buying photos from any of them, several friends work for those guys.

Car looks great.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Was talking to a friend last weekend about his Porsche collection and he remarked that his early build date 996 was his favorite. I had no idea the super early cars had differences but apparently it's quite a list.

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/1270550-what-makes-the-1999-so-special-anyway.html

tl:dr

quote:

I. General MY1999 Uniquenesses overall:
1. Dual-row original IMSB, that is eminently more durable than the later single-row design introduced mid-2000 production.
2. Legacy 911 cable throttle (C2 only, not C4).
3. Manual actuation front and rear trunk latches.
4. No "nannies" (TC/PSM/PASM etc...).
Therefore the Traction-Control-Delete MY1999 is the only 100% "analog" water-cooled 911 ever made! (IE cable throttle + hydraulic steering + NO driver's assistance technology)
5. "Buffalo Hyde" dash and "Granite" interior materials.
6. Optional LSD (limited slip differential).
7. Legacy 993 headliner material; uses original 911 lightweight vinyl
8. No OBC (on board computer) as standard.

***FYI, pair an OBC-Delete with TC-Delete (see #4 above) and you have the "holy grail" of zero-nannies, analog modern 911's in the United States. Find one with #408 "Technology" wheels fitted (see #4 second list just below) and you're likely looking at an ultra-lightweight: "one-of-one"

II. Specific Early-Build '99 (Ambers) Uniquenesses: Subset of MY1999 with build date stickers from 11/97 - 08/98

1. "Hand assembled" in sequence with the outgoing 993 production cars on their assembly line.
2. Amber-lenses head and tail lights.
3. Color-thru "Granite" interior materials (nicknamed "Sparkle").
4. Ultra Lightweight #408 BBS "Technology" wheels

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

AWWNAW posted:

I don’t need backseats and now the CEL light has come back on, thinking about a stick shift cayman
Do recommend, find a higher mile Cayman and enjoy it.

Mines (987.1 CS) sitting a bit under 104k miles, did 200 miles in the mountains this morning and didn't miss a beat. Need to find some pads that don't fade as bad but the car is honestly great to drive. I keep thinking about replacing it with an Elise but it's been so good I'm not sure. I would also consider a Boxster, if I had realized Wife would get claustrophobic in the Cayman I would have gone that route.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Elite Taco posted:

Still ironing out kinks for wiring, but this is what it look like:

Which unit is that and can it support something like torque app and a bluetooth obd2? I really need to upgrade mine.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Speaking of old Porsche breaking the 987 now has a pretty distinct front end clunk. Mostly noticeable at parking lot speed so I'm guessing it's the top mounts. Also coming up on 10k miles since I purchased and still very happy with it.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You can also have the car shipped, it isn't that expensive in the scheme of things. Ideally you fly out, test drive and get a PPI done in person but I have bought without seeing the car in person.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

knox_harrington posted:

I want to try an Emira.

:same: Even though I can't justify it and will probably end up with an Elise instead.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Hallett is great fun, what direction are you running it? One of the few tracks they allow to be run in both directions.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

The rubber plugs/fittings on the washer fluid tank like to age out and crack. PO of mine told me the tank leaked so I ordered a whole new tank only to find it was a cheap rubber plug ... which is still sitting on the workbench two years later :smith:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

I use autotempest mostly for car searching, lets you search all over the place.

I can see moving from a Lotus to a P-car if you want something a little more usable for normal stuff. If it was an Elise I'd be interested but Exige is out of my price range.

edit: page snipe, have a picture from last weekend doing 105k oil change

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

May I suggest a Cayman/Boxtser and a second set of golf clubs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Friend is selling his excellent 964 street-legalish race car if anyone is in the market.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1992-porsche-911-carrera-2-coupe-17/