Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rakekniven
Jun 4, 2000
Forum Veteran
Saw my first Cayman GT4 in the wild. It's unreal how much more aggressive they look in person than base Caymans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rakekniven
Jun 4, 2000
Forum Veteran

fknlo posted:

I'm glad that they immediately sold a couple years worth of these right off the bat because they offer long enough loans where I could realistically afford one if I happened to come across one sitting at the dealer.

When I stopped to take the picture a nearby construction worker said that owner was bragging about how it cost him $150,000 when he got out. Even going crazy on the Porsche options list, that sounds like it was carrying a pretty hefty rare car markup from the dealership.

Rakekniven
Jun 4, 2000
Forum Veteran

Jealous Cow posted:

I'm considering trading my M4 for a 2015 Cayman S that a local dealer has left over. I think I can get it for 9-10k under MSRP as they're already advertising it at 7k under MSRP and it's the end of the year.

It's reasonably well equipped, sport suspension and power steering plus, and some cosmetics. 6 speed.

Anything I should look out for? I know it won't feel as fast as the M4 but all that power is pretty useless day to day and I want to try a Porsche.

Edit: apparently one can get massive discounts on prior year new Carreras. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm bye bye money

If you don't need the back seat, I'd say go with the Cayman. I've autocrossed the M4, and driven a few laps in the 991 and the Cayman, and nothing come close to the joy and the [auto journalist words about immediacy, feeling and thrill of driving go here] you get with the Cayman. Who cares if it's slower, unless you're racing them the Cayman is the most fun.

Rakekniven
Jun 4, 2000
Forum Veteran
Just joined the club, picked up a 2014 base model Cayman (PDK) on Monday. Did my first autocross in it yesterday, such a fantastic car.

Rakekniven fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Sep 29, 2019

Rakekniven
Jun 4, 2000
Forum Veteran

Now I'm going to have to check this.

Rakekniven
Jun 4, 2000
Forum Veteran

Blue On Blue posted:

Well the event they invited me to was a "Welcome to Porsche" , basically a campaign they have going to get new people into the brand

Unfortunately the 2 cars I wanted to test drive were smack in the middle of the showroom floor and unable to be moved , so kind of dampened the spirit

I've arranged to come back next week and give them a spin though

Thoughts for the porsche goons , as I know the brand is VERY loyal and divided on this aspect

981 Cayman S
Vs
718 Cayman S
Vs

I'm told 718 beats the 981 in every aspect aside from exhaust note and engine sound , due to the loss of 2 cylinders

I'm still very much interested in a 911 , but to ease myself and my wallet into the brand, the 718 seems like a hell of an entry level car , but I also dont want to sound like a civic with a fart can all the time

My decision to get a 981 came down to the fact that while the 718 may be better on paper, buying a Cayman isn't actually a practical decision. There is something magical about the flat-6 engines, and I'll happily give up some 0-60 bragging rights for the car I felt more connected with.

Rakekniven
Jun 4, 2000
Forum Veteran
Can't wait to put the summer tires back on my Cayman. It's been a pretty mild winter in Boston and obviously ground clearance is the enemy (especially once things ice over) but it's been a surprisingly good winter car with Michelin Alpin's on it.

Rakekniven
Jun 4, 2000
Forum Veteran

blk posted:

Do the non-PASM cars have the same nannies?

I should probably figure out how to store winter tires, but I live in a 400 square ft studio apartment. It hasn’t been an issue so far since I’ve been in my Saabaru with PS A/S3+ which do fine in inclement weather.

Sometimes you have to look out to the suburbs to find them, but there are tire shop that will store tires between seasons, or mobile services like this one https://mytireguys.com/. It's worth it to have proper performance tires in the summer.

Rakekniven
Jun 4, 2000
Forum Veteran
If you can live without the backseats, 997 money buys a nice 981. Yes, EPS isn't as good as the old hydraulic setup, and "it's not a 911" but it the mid-engine cars are arguably the better driving experience.

Rakekniven
Jun 4, 2000
Forum Veteran

Russian Bear posted:

Ahhh ok, then yeah a 718 S for sake of trying something "new". The 4 cylinder gets poo poo on, but if your emotional needs don't require the 6 cylinder exhaust note, then there are deals to be had I'm sure.

The 718 is objectively better, but the purchase of a mid-engined two seater is an emotional purchase, not a rational one. 2017 718's are already selling for less than 2016 981's.

Rakekniven
Jun 4, 2000
Forum Veteran

Scionix posted:

Acquired my dream car. 2014 Cayman S. gently caress a turbo

Congrats!

Rakekniven
Jun 4, 2000
Forum Veteran

Motronic posted:

Looking more closely at the shifter, yeah it's actually a PDK. This makes it marginally better, but ewww....

It's a PDK, but it's got the terrible push button shifters on the wheel. If you ever want to manually shift the PDK, I'd highly recommend budgeting a steering wheel swap to one of these

Rakekniven
Jun 4, 2000
Forum Veteran

mobby_6kl posted:

Thanks! Since this is also base/S, did you feel the extra power made a significant difference?

I've driven both, and ended up going with a base 981. Yes, it's slower than the S. It's still a very fun street car that you can wring out for slightly longer than the S, and I'm just getting started with Autocross in it. More horsepower wouldn't change the fact that my skill level is currently the biggest limiting factor in my run times.

And agreed on the surprisingly luggage space and practicality of the Cayman. It's our only car, and while you have to be a little creative, I've done some pretty big Costco runs with it.

Rakekniven
Jun 4, 2000
Forum Veteran
Nice car!

Rakekniven
Jun 4, 2000
Forum Veteran

meatpimp posted:

If you're willing to take a 570S, you can get a 3 year lease with $12k down and $1850/month with the same 2500 miles/year.
https://www.mclarenofgreenwich.com/new-vehicle-2020-mclaren-570s-c-3463/

I wonder what they put the residual at...

To understand McLaren residuals, for another $250 a month you could straight up by the cheapest 12C on Autotrader for $12k down and $2100/month for three years.

Rakekniven
Jun 4, 2000
Forum Veteran

gvibes posted:

OK, I did it.

Going to try to DIY the passenger window regulator, wish me luck.

Slight coolant smell as well. Has new radiators but has the old design expansion tank cap and looks like there is some white residue around there, so hopefully that is it.

Nice!

Rakekniven
Jun 4, 2000
Forum Veteran

slidebite posted:

Only performance tires I have any recent experience with are RE71Rs and they are great, but I don't think I'd want them on my daily, all weather driver. :shrug:

Sadly those are being discontinued, and the new RE71RS's aren't coming to the US.

I need to replace the OEM Goodyear F1s on my Cayman, which I don't love, leaning towards the Michelin PS4S's.

Rakekniven
Jun 4, 2000
Forum Veteran
62/145 from Montrose to Cortez via Telluride is a stunning drive.

Rakekniven
Jun 4, 2000
Forum Veteran
Incoming Recall for some 981's - https://www.autoevolution.com/news/your-previous-gen-porsche-boxster-cayman-are-being-recalled-in-the-us-169227.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rakekniven
Jun 4, 2000
Forum Veteran

Residency Evil posted:

For sure. Caymans/Boxsters tend to be loud and a lot of the engine noise gets transmitted to the cabin.

Part of the joy of the Porsche ownership experience is thinking "gently caress what is that noise!? Was that there before? Is something broken? Do I need a new engine?!"

Or the first time a leaf gets sucked into your intake and starts rattling against the filter and the sound makes you think something terrible and valve related is happening.