Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

EvilBlackRailgun posted:

Visiting my parents and they are offering to sell me their 997.1 C4S 6 speed with the power upgrade. Like I mentioned earlier in the thread the huge caviat here is that it's a cabriolet. Makes sense in the tropical paradise they live in but not in the city where I live. Flip side of course is how cheap they will sell it to me and the knowledge that the car has been a garage queen its whole life.

Would you buy a black 15k mile 2006 C4S cab for SIGNIFCANTLY below market value, or wait till a good 997.2 GTS pops up on the market and just accept that it will be a lot more expensive?
If you're concerned about the roof, why not hunt down a hardtop for it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Motronic posted:

I suppose......but while I was obviously being sarcastic, dropping a 911 motor isn't really all that bad.

(oh god, I actually believe that. Is that what stockholm syndrome feels like?)
Stuttgart syndrome.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
You can find them in the £3-4k region here now. They're probably a little suspect at that price, though.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

slidebite posted:

To all the crackwhores on this forum, I sincerely apologize for my immature and outdated metaphor.
I thought you knew it was outdated and immature, but chose to use it sarcastically, the nature of it being such making the use of "crack whore" funny on a secondary level.

A meta-whore, if you like.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
That looks horrible.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Motronic posted:

Whoops......

'04 turbo, stacks of dealer records to 70k, 86k but needs it's 80k service.

It followed me home, I swear.

It really fits in next to the 944 that I DD.
Hmm. I don't really like them, but they're becoming available at prices that seem like a hell of a lot of car for the money. Be interested to see what they're like to live with.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Motronic posted:

No bluetooth, not even an AUX jack, so that thing has got to go.
Any aftermarket options? I've used those boxes that plug into the changer port in the past, and they're pretty good.

Edit: TBH, what would put me off one is the potential for ridiculous bills if something shits the bed.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Motronic posted:

Yes, the potential large bill if something shits is exactly why a $120,000 truck is worth $15k private party 12 years later. This is kinda what I do, so I'm used to it. Would not own things like this if I didn't do my own work, and also wouldn't own only ONE thing like this (being in a hurry to get parts is a great way to spend WAY too much money).
That's pretty much my philosophy too.

Related: It really annoys anti-EV people when they bring up a shortcoming of current tech, and your response is "Well, just drive one of your other cars".

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Motronic posted:

It also seemed to annoy several tree hugging prius drivers who don't like what I drive
GOOD.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Elephanthead posted:

Don't you fools know that the horizontal cylinders will wear oval and be junk in 5 years? (Actual pitch from Honda guy next to subi dealer but hilariously true for 996s but for different reasons.)
Please tell me you told him that pistons aren't round anyway.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Bajaha posted:

Snaked an endoscope into the hole and I've got a little bit of carbon but it's not terrible I think, there's a decent area on the piston that's clean where I'm assuming the incoming air/fuel mix cleaned it out. Pictures will come later.
Italian tuneup?

Italian tuneup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CancerCakes posted:

Quoting this post from the first page of this thread cos... I want to buy a 924.

Anyone willing to admit they have one?

I'm thinking NA or S. Budget is 4.5k gbp for a car I can ideally daily drive. I have zero car mechanical experience so I would need something at least mechanically sound. Feels realistic, but I wouldn't even know what to look out for.
£4.5k is not an unreasonable price point to get a generally ok, running/driving 924, year's MOT etc.

But there will be ongoing maintenance, and if you say you're starting from zero in terms of car maintenance and repair knowledge, I'd probably not be looking to get an old Porsche as a daily.

Even if you up the budget and get a pretty good one, putting daily driver duties on a 40 year old car is not easy mode at all.

As a second car you don't have to rely on (your later post seems to switch to this paradigm), it's perhaps more realistic an idea.