Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Elite Taco posted:

Am I dumb and there actually IS a realoem.com equivalent for porsche cars?

I need to replace the little skid trim in front of my wheels at the bottom of my front bumper.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/ is good at suggesting cheaper-but-made-in-the-same-factory alternatives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

PainterofCrap posted:

Today, started replacing the bad alternator on the '05 Cayenne I just acquired.

I had no idea that German engineers were insane enough to water-cool an alternator, but here we are, with a broken plastic hose flange that will cost $52 to replace from a Porsche dealer in Atlanta.

It starts.

:homebrew:

I just dropped $40 on a new fuel cap for mine because the little tether on the old one had broken. :homebrew: indeed.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

More like, "cardan shafted"

e. I'm still not entirely clear if the previous owner of my cayenne upgraded the cardan shaft bearing when they had it replaced a few years back, so I should probably put together a kit for an impromptu Jimi Fix.

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jul 20, 2023

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

hmmxkrazee posted:

The front tires on my Macan are at about 4/32" (not quite level with the little wear bars) but the rears are at 7/32". I assume the better course of action is to just get new ones for all 4 and not just the front?

Generally speaking yes, new tires all around are going to be better if they don't cost $balls. The Macan doesn't have staggered tires, does it? The next set will last longer if you rotate them every few thousand miles.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

PainterofCrap posted:

n't part two.

The PO was the first owner - the wife of a dentist, who was in her 60s when she purchased it new. I have the window sticker, and all of the records. Car was never in an accident, and there is no sign that either of these areas were ever opened before. There was light rust on the unpainted bulkhead end at the firewall, but no issue with the fuse bank, which is right under it.

My guess is that this was not connected at the factory, and that she may never have used it, or rarely tried - and didn't care enough to get it fixed if it didn't work. It could also be some kind of malice, though I can't really imagine such a scenario.

Maybe the interior dipped below the freezing point of the washer fluid once in the history of the truck? That's so weird.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I saw Goody Painter with the Devil!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Two 911s?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

If they barge carrying my Cayenne sinks, I'll put in a bid

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Speaking of which, is there a cheap, relatively decent source for bumper covers for my 06 Cayenne Turbo, or should I go to the dealer with my firstborn?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Toe Rag posted:

EVs are a whitewash OP. You have to drive 50k-100k km, depending on your country’s power generation, before you break even with an ICE car. In the last 5.5 years I have driven just over 45k km. I am in the US, so presumably the power generation is not particularly clean, and it would take me over 12 years to drive 100k km, possibly longer since I would avoid taking long trips in an EV. And then I’d have to replace the battery, resetting the break even calculus. If we had a green power grid (lol) then it would be a different story, but they are not a magic bullet for climate change. You could probably do more to stop climate change by having empty office towers turn off their lights and ban AC below 85F/30C.

None of this is true. Do you sit around with an anti-EV screed cocked and ready to go whenever you think you awkwardly jam it into a conversation?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

TheBacon posted:

And especially so as Toe Rag mentioned if the electricity is from loving coal or natural gas anyway.

Here, from the Union of Concerned Scientists. https://www.ucsusa.org/sites/default/files/2020-05/evs-cleaner-than-gasoline.pdf

When comparing the emissions involved in the extraction, refining, transportation, and combustion of gasoline vs powerplant emissions (including the mining of coal or extraction of natural gas or the birds murdered by wind turbines), the worst grid in the US is the Midwest Reliability Organization, East. The average EV in Wisconsin has equivalent emissions to a 39MPG gasoline burning car. If you live in upstate New York, the average EV has equivalent emissions to a 231MPG car. 94% of people in the US live in a region where the average EV outperforms a hypothetical 50mpg car.

Mining the metals to produce an EV battery is bad, but there are promising new developments in battery technology that will allow us to do more with less toxicity. Once a battery is produced, it is useful and reusable. Even after its capacity drops below what EV owners consider acceptable, the individual cells don't just enter the waste stream. They can be reused for stationary electricity storage.

I am less bullish on the future small ICE engines and synthetic fuels than you are. We're running into the limits of thermodynamics. I think synthetic fuels have a future for powering enthusiast cars when gas stations go the way of the dinosaur, but I think battery technology has a lot more room for research and improvement over yet another 2.0L turbocharged inline four.

TheBacon posted:

Yeah whatever I am in a bad mood because I was told this week that my department (IT/Ops) is not part of the future of the vision of making our company successful so we will no longer be company employees.

loving shortsighted assholes. I'm sorry.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Cayennes rule and macans drool, hth.

Seriously though, if it makes you feel any better, I've heard that the manual transmission in a Cayenne feels truck-like and isn't a lot of fun to drive.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Out of curiosity, is there a scan tool I could use to calibrate the speedometer / odometer on my 2006 Cayenne, in addition to usual scan tool stuff?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Do you frequently find yourself going 50mph in parking lots? :grin:

E. I know what you mean. I'll ask my independent Porsche mechanic if he can calibrate the speedo

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Apr 14, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Isn't a cracked coolant tank one of the 986's fun gotchas?