Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Kellefornia posted:

This thread contains too many new cars. Let's bring it back to the original air cooled Porsche.

1960 356 B (T5). Numbers-matching but slightly lowered and with a big-bore kit. Just put a Reutter luggage rack on it (will have to grab some pictures).

Oh hey 356 buddy, this is my fathers number matching super 1600 I helped restore (he insists on dressing it up for car shows.)

If it gets a clean bill of health, he is selling me his 2006 Boxster in a few weeks so that is something I cant think of without smiling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
After 9 years with my Integra, and 2 different careers I decided to upgrade.

2006 (late 2006), 72,000 on the clock, new rear tires and front brakes.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

Nice! Base or S? Manual? Is it your daily or do you have other plans?

Daily, base model. I don't have much a commute and I live in so-cal. It was my fathers car and when he upgraded to the 2014 I offered to buy it off him so he wouldn't have to do the song and dance of selling it himself. This thing was his baby, only ever services at the dealer with Porsche parts.

I also got a killer deal on it.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
By 2006 has this problem on the fan controller, I think it stems from the paint being a rubberized finish on a smooth plastic part.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Mat_Drinks posted:

Sure blame it on the paint, not your obsessive compulsive moisturizing ;-*

Am I correct that fixing the switch requires replacing the climate control panel?

I don't think it's worth it, rubberized paint will always do this the second there is an imperfection introduced like a scratch.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

MrChips posted:

OK you can't just post something that beautiful and leave us hanging like that. :stare:

Looks like a Singer from the quality of the paint job.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
Went to a show a few weeks ago with my dad and we won second place! The last photo is the old goof ecstatic he finally won something.

http://m.imgur.com/a/jRccN

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Remember to practice safe Porsche and wash your car. As I defy the law and wash my car in California.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

iwentdoodie posted:

Just don't buff it or you'll break it.
Is this an in joke or something?

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

iwentdoodie posted:

Pretty sure dude posted in this thread. He used a mechanical random orbit buffer on his Cayman and it shorted the ECU.

This seems like such a one in a million thing to happen, I almost cant believe it unless there was something really dumb like on a split that was also plugged into the cigarette lighter.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
A steal for only 7k!

http://www.beverlyhillscarclub.com/1967-porsche-912-c-5027.htm

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
So the 24 hours of Le Mans just proved that your Porsche is more reliable than a Toyota.

Please keep that in mind with your next purchase.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

slidebite posted:

Yeah.

e: What do you think a realistic knock-off for asking price for the alternator and headlight lenses (inside part of lens, not the outside) would be? I'd also want to do the water pump/flush as he said he hasn't done it himself.

$2-3K?
[/

[quote="MrChips" post="461421111"]
The headlight lenses in those cars are not replaceable; it's all one unit and they're $$$$$$$, even used. Brand new they're $2-3k Canadian each from Porsche, and used probably at least $5-600 each (after shipping, duty and exchange rate) off of eBay or elsewhere.

Actually they can, you have to find the right guy to do it though. Dealers don't want to do it, but do some research for headlight restoration in your area.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

slidebite posted:

Just to be clear, it's not the outside part that flows with the body, it's the vertical "lens" underneath it immediately next to the bulb. I haven't been able to find that "lens" with my short amount of searching either. An ebay used assembly might be the best way to go.

It's one assembly that is sealed and actually glued in some parts that pops out containing the bulbs and lenses with socketed connectors on both side, think quick change lights for Le Mans racing.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
There is no greater feeling of relief than when your check engine light turns off after a few start ups.

Friendly reminder that we'd drive fickle machines that get upset if we accelerate to hard before a warm up or let our gas get too low.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
Also I feel our thread title should be: check engine like steady? Race ready, check engine like blinking, you should be wincing.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
Well it’s the end of the line for my 06 Boxster, there is a problem with the Cam in that it won’t adjust the bank on one side.

My guy thinks it’s a stretched timing chain as there is no toast to my oil or metal shavings meaning I did not lose a tooth or anything.

It’s a $7000 problem at the minimum, time to trade it to a dealer before the check engine light turns on.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

slidebite posted:

You ruled out the, uh, adjusters themselves?

Yea, they checked the solenoids and they where trying to adjust the bank but they could not successfully do so. What was happening was the car would rarely toss out a check engine light if you drove it too hard when it was cold then clear it quickly after a few restarts and you could never get it to replicate it if you tried.

The car was a early 987 with over a hundred thousand miles on it, chances are it would have been an easy fix ... after you drop the engine. I traded it into a Dealer to avoid feeling like a bad person by selling it to somebody and got a newer 987 with almost no miles on it.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Went to see the old man this weekend, AKA the man that hates coolant.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

thechalkoutline posted:

UMMMM gonna need better pics of this if im gonna jerk off tia

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
Porsche paint is supernaturally hard imo, as long as you don’t leave a big bird poo poo on your hood nothing should hurt your paint.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
Well a low grumble turned out to be the water pump About to fail.

And to add insult to injury he tells me I am one good stop away from my brake lights coming on.

So ...

Water pump replacement and associated kit
Drive belt (over 10 years so it needs to be replaced when they take it off!)
Rear brakes
Oil service

Over 2k spent today 🥳

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Residency Evil posted:

And I just found a lovely silver 2015 Cayman GTS. Someone tell me I'd be dumb to buy essentially the car I just sold.

:suicide:

I traded in my black 2006 black boxster (107k miles) for a 2008 black boxster (19k miles).

I actually bought the same car and don’t regret it.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

TheFonz posted:

That is super helpful! I’ll check out the wiki and do some more generic term searches like above. Does anyone here own a newer Targa or is it a strange look to like compared to the coupes?

There are a lot out there, it’s one of those things where it was expensive and exclusive when it came out so not a lot where leased so that’s why they are a bit harder to come by in the used market right now.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
So long Porsche crew, sold my 45k mile 987 boxster for a wrx after a $4600 check engine light.

I will be back some day but for now I traded in my leather jacket for a flannel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

willroc7 posted:

What happened?

Seal deep In the engine was causing a vacuum leak and the shop had to pull the transmission.

And while there they found a bad axel.