Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Any of you have the PDF of this?

https://www.excellence-mag.com/resources/buyers-guide

I am feeling an itch for a foreign sports car.

e: \/\/ :lol: I was intending to ask if it was any good, but if someone wants to share, sure.

kensei fucked around with this message at 19:55 on May 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Literally just wanted to know if it was any good or would be recommended. I don't mind buying it, was just curious if anyone had feedback on if it was a valuable resource. I worded my post extremely poorly.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Niacin posted:

Ah. Oops. In that case, Panorama magazine (yes, i know) has a lot of buyer's guides on the web for the various generations and models with the common defects and issues included. There's also extensive coverage of every P-car on rennlist, but it's a little harder to find if you don't already know what you're looking for. For full sperg, the Adrian Streather books are hundreds and hundreds of strongly-researched pages full of things no-one needs to know.

Thank you for this. I will check it out.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

another loser posted:

It wasn't the original plan, but looks like I found car for the summer.

A 2003 Boxster S, who was purchased in 2017 by an old rich guy who was going senile. He took it to a Porsche mechanic and told them "to fix anything it needed". Have documented $12K in work they did on it. After the work was done, he wasn't happy with the paint so he had the whole thing repainted. Then he got sick, and died. It has 87km on the odometer since the work was done. It's the estate selling it, for less than the work done to it, soooooo

It'll do for the summer, and the hunt will continue for a 996/997

Nice, if you change your mind send me the info please :)

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

another loser posted:

Picked up the old man 986 Boxster S that I posted about earlier. Think it's going to be a fun summer.

That's sexy as hell. Nice find!

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

That is sexy

Probably

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

I'm getting closer to pulling the trigger on a mid 2000's Boxster. It would not be a daily driver, but I am interested in a hardtop for it. Is that something anyone here has done?

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Russian Bear posted:

Yes, it's called buy a Cayman.

Snarkiness aside, is it for winter driving reasons?

:lol:

Yeah, pretty much. I would not mind it being able to be driven in the winter, I live in the Portland area so rain is a real thing but it's not the end of the world. This would be our third car, and I would not have to drive it unless I wanted to really enjoy myself.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Ranzear posted:

As someone who has personally seen what our corner of the country does to soft tops, just get a Cayman.

Ugh I really want a convertible. I owned a couple 914 when I was younger and the Boxster scratches that itch.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

I went to Cars and Coffee today outside Carlsbad, saw some nice rides but this one was incredible, 1959 and looked immaculate.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Gorgeous car, congrats.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

I love that the Porsche thread has become about car seats.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

willroc7 posted:

Yeah I realized i had really taken my making GBS threads up the thread to the next level. Sorry about that.

No dude it's fine. I am legit sad that back in 1998 I sold my 1976 2.0 liter 914 when my wife got pregnant. If I could go back in time, I would tell younger kensei to keep that car.

I am thisclose to pulling the trigger on a 2003-2007 Boxster S. I will post pix when I do.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

Do y'all daily your cars? That's one thing giving me pause since I WFH (and the office and groceries are within walking range anyway) so it'd be down to occasion movie/restaurant visit, some weekend trips and maybe a few longer road trips in the 5 months or so when it's not absolutely miserable. So I just haven't convinced myself yet that it's be worth it to have it standing around most of the time.

Mine will be the fourth car for the wife and I, so it will not be a daily driver. Weekends/nice weather only along with an occasional road trip most likely.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Drove a black 2000 Boxster S yesterday with 90k miles. It was nice but felt a little sloppy, had a bunch of work done at 75k but that was in 2013, it has not been driven much since. All the records and they wanted $12,000 for it. I passed because of the feel, but if it is still there when I get back from Las Vegas Tuesday I might offer $11,000 cash. Or, I could keep looking. Looking is fun.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

The transmission did. Also there were little things like, 'Oh that lever fell off? It's right here' and similar that just gave me a strange vibe. It's way under budget, so that helps if something did go wrong, but I want to find one that doesn't give me that nagging feeling.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

I went and drove a 2002 Boxster (with only 24k miles) and the transmission felt very similar to the 2001 Boxster S, so that concern I had is not as big. They have all the maintenance receipts and also an extra set of wheels for it too. I am super tempted to just pull the trigger on it since they dropped the price another $1000 in email today for the 2001 S.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

PPI tomorrow morning.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Hanging out with me overnight before the PPI in the morning

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Sooooo

The upper coolant hose is leaking and needs to be replaced, and the brake fluid needs to be changed. I got them down to $10,500 for it and am budgeting about $600 for the work.

:toot:

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

slidebite posted:

That blue is indeed gorgeous.

Good for you! Doing it on your own? Other than being awkward, shouldn't be too tough. Might be a good way for getting your hands dirty working on your car. If you do, get some new decent hose clamps. The OEM clamps Porsche uses are those sprung type and suuuuck. You'll want one of those clamp tools if you don't have one.
https://www.amazon.ca/Flexible-Clamp-Pliers-Reach-Water/dp/B07H8243NG/ref=sr_1_10?dchild=1&keywords=hose+clamp+tool&qid=1624055593&sr=8-10

While I bought this car with the intention of doing some work on it myself, I am not doing this.

quote:

Also, is it yours now? If so, where the hell are the pics?

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

slidebite posted:

Good job Kensai. :) I've always liked tan interiors.

e: Uh, have you checked your oil level?

Haha yes, it is fine and passed the PPI just fine., I had literally just started it.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

I went and checked, that light blinks for about 30 seconds when I start the car but the light goes off on it's own.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

BigPaddy posted:

How full was the bar? On my old 986 if I turned the accessories on it would give me an oil level read out and then turn off after a while. If it is showing empty even if you pull the stick and see there is oil in it while cold then something is not right.

It's like 2/3 on the dip stick when I check it after it has been running, so I think it is okay but now you are worrying me a bit. Are you saying this should not be on for like 20-30 seconds when I start it?

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Anyone with a Boxster get a new key? Where did you go? Any alternate methods besides giving the dealer almost $300 for a key and $200 to program it?

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

BigPaddy posted:

Only way to save money on that I saw when looking for a key was to find one that was blank for less and then hope the dealer would program it for you. Either way it is not cheap.

Alright, thanks.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

RE: Keys - I found an eBay auction that included codes for $156 so I bought two. Now I just have to find a locksmith who can cut them.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Do you guys have a recommendation for a wash/wax kit? I see all sorts of stuff on Amazon and the paint on this beast is not in the best shape, so I would like to do what I can to help it out. I was debating on getting it professionally detailed first then getting something to maintain it so any and all suggestions welcome...

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

meatpimp posted:

What beast are we talking about? Age, type, condition, history all make differences in what products to use.

Edit: If it's the Boxster you've talked about in this thread, then it's new enough and in good enough shape that any major brand's kit would be fine. Meguiars low end, Griots is okay, I like Chemical Guys stuff... I get Zymol for free, but only use a few of their products, I'm not generally impressed with their paint care products.

(poo poo, I thought I was replying to the detailing thread)

BigPaddy posted:

I use the chemical guys stuff from Amazon that is on sale every prime day. Does fine.

Of course I ask after Prime Day. Thank you both.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Detailing is done. I sprung for the ceramic coating and it's astonishing how much of a difference it makes. Got the seats treated too.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

That looks great, nice work.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

So my custom plate I was going to order is not cool? :ohdear:

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

FasterThanLight posted:

I've considered getting NTAREAL (or something to that effect) for my 924S several times.

I wanted to get PORSHUH like the pronunciation

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

The price is interesting but the rest of the ad screams yikes

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/358653985935275/

Says it is a 1999 and a 2002, no interior pix, might be a tow strap in one, etc

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

For some reason, almost every Boxster I've seen listed on FB says it's an automatic, including mine when it was posted for sale before I got it. I've seen people comment on their own ads that the transmission was wrong lol

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

NitroSpazzz posted:

When you create a vehicle listing on FB maretplace the first and only thing filled in is automatic transmission, a lot of people don't bother to fix it.

Ha, I have never sold a car on FB so I did not know. TIL

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Ranzear posted:

The power difference between Base and S is quite a bit narrower in the 718, especially in torque range. Magic of turbos and whatnot. Base 987s and 981s are wheezy but at least the 981 is ostensibly lighter.

Caymans are cursed to never feel fast and one can appreciate how that affects opinions of them. It goes beyond the 'slow car fast, fast car slow' dichotomy.

Here I was thinking you could do a lot better for $20k, but holy poo poo have things exploded. That was 2010 Boxster prices just over a year ago. The 2001 Boxster S I looked at was $11k and had half the miles (and no cruise control :commissar:).

I have a wicked aversion to soft tops (PNW isn't kind) but that's still a nice one. Maybe a little confused that they would dump a bunch of work into it in January and sell it the next fall. Cashing in on the bubble I guess.

I feel like I got a steal with my 2001 S for $10,500 just a couple months ago. And, I cleaned out half the garage for storing mine because you are right, the PNW is not nice to convertibles. Mine has a newer top with the glass so I really want to make sure it lasts :)

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

As I enter the first winter in the PacNW with my Boxster, as long as I drive it like once a month, do I need to do anything else? It lives in the garage happily, so no extended exposure to the evil rain and snow.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

I went and got keys done already for cheap but where would you recommend one purchase this software and cable if so inclined, since my 01 is older and likely supported?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Residency Evil posted:

The Durametric is pretty much only from http://www.durametric.com/ , or a used one from someone on Rennlist, which occasionally pops up and isn't super discounted.

Ah, thanks. A long time ago I got a wifi OBD reader from a Kickstarter and was able to recently read and clear a code on my Boxster, so I am mostly covered. Looks like I don't need to waste more money on something else.