Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Dave Inc. posted:

Cross-posting from "What did you do to your ride today" because Porsche.

Angry air-cooled flat six with new headers and such.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhWPfONFbnk
God drat that sounds great!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

kimbo305 posted:

IMS Stuff
That was really interesting to read and very informative, thanks for quoting it here. Reinforces one of the earliest lessons I was taught when I was in service - Document. loving. EVERYTHING.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

kimbo305 posted:

I'm honestly thinking of calling up and asking about that 996 before the Boxster issue is even cleared up. They're a pretty legit shop, with a lot of Porsche project cars and one F40 (the last NOS F40 gearbox was being put in it when I went there to check out an M5).
Seems like a good deal, and hell, you probably won't lose much, if any, money on it.

statement not guaranteed for accuracy

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Elephanthead posted:

Is that the guy that makes a million bucks selling the solution?
Nope, that car is owned by Doug DeMuro's best friend. If you'd like to know more, you can check out his latest column on autotrader dot com slash oversteer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rr2dzAZEhk4

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Kijiji buyers hate him! Click here to find out his one dirty trick to buy cars for just the deposit!

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Blue On Blue posted:

'05 997 with 140,000km on the clock , aside from the fact both the transmission and engine are probably due to be replaced

What else should one keep an eye out for ?

Are you saying a 2005 Porsche with 87000 miles is looking at an imminent engine and transmission replacement? Or are you joking?

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Blue On Blue posted:

My bad I'm tired maybe I'm missing the pun

No I'm not joking .... lots of similar year lower mileage cars I've looked at have had engine replacements due to one problem or another

Are you saying this shouldn't be an issue to be concerned about?
I actually don't know a lot about these cars, and was surprised to see your post. Had no idea these were biting the dust at those mileage numbers.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

guidoanselmi posted:

the saddest porsche

orange county is trash

I had to look that up, and well, it's something! I had no idea some company was making those.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

kimbo305 posted:

The S2000 is a very pure and more opinionated driving experience.
The Boxster is a more opinionated design -- "we should make the car MR to produce neutral handling characteristics at the cost of production/packaging complexity."

But the S2000 is all about delivering on a very specific feel. You seat rearward, the steering and power-on oversteer are not linear and become more sensitive toward their limits, and the shifting is 9/10.
The Boxster in comparison is mellow and neutral up to 8/10, but the S2000 exposes its handling characteristics at lower intensity. It's not necessarily hard to drive, you just get more communication from the car that driving it a certain way will better match its design.

Anyways, around town, probably the biggest things you'll notice are the slightly stiffer steering (and occasional weird magnety-ness of the electric power steering at parking lot speeds) and lack of torque. The 986 S has pleasantly usable shove, while the S2000 has to (and really, should) be brought up to 4k before you can get moving.

Something about having two trunks really appealed to my warped sense practicality. The rear one is very shallow but great for a suit bag.

That is an awesome description. I'm starting to get a list of cars to look at toward the beginning of 2019...how's your experience of the 996 vs the 986 s? Or did you not really get to drive your 996 that much before you sold it?

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
When marketing people use terms like "...consuming your mobility..." it makes me want to pull a Bullet-Tooth Tony on them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYEzhmJgQdc

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Residency Evil posted:

You wouldn't even feel bad driving it.
Don't buy a car you'd feel bad about putting miles on.

Also another vote for the green Turbo.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
OP have you considered a Mercedes Benz G55 AMG?

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Ranzear posted:

You're in here talking about 'throwing away' $25k like a single mechanical problem would total the car or he's gonna drive it without insurance.
Those points were made in the context of financial situation, not reliability.

As in, is it wise to buy a third car for $20-$25k, which if it does break down, or if you do lose your job, would cause you immediate financial stress due to the fact that you now have a $20-$25k car, and not that same money in savings to tide you over since you just lost your job in the middle of a pandemic.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Pull an Ed Bolian and offer them $9k?

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

gvibes posted:

OK, I did it.

Going to try to DIY the passenger window regulator, wish me luck.

Slight coolant smell as well. Has new radiators but has the old design expansion tank cap and looks like there is some white residue around there, so hopefully that is it.

Beautiful car, enjoy it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Residency Evil posted:

There is something very therapeutic and satisfying about replacing old poo poo on my 993. This past weekend, I replaced 24 year old speakers. My 80s/90s rock and Blink-182 has never sounded better.

Is this what being a dad is going to be like.
I guess this is growing up