Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009
How's the 996 GT2 on maintenance and upgrades-wise ? My stepfather is really pushy about me buying his so he can buy an RX-8 but I'm not sure I would be able to keep it running, his is a 2004 model clubsport. Drove it a few times and it's brutal, not sure how the old guy managed to survive but that can also means he babied it and that can be bad for the engine ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

That's an odd jump. The 996 GT2 can be a bit of a handful as its only assistance is ABS so maybe that's why he wants something more sedate?

Any Porsche, I don't care what you're getting, should have a PPI run on it with a complete DME report to show overrevs prior to purchase. The 3.6L Mezger turbo engines are pretty solid overall. Way, way overbuilt. The bottom end on it can take insane power and stock internals is good for quite a bit more power. They're one of the few turbo cars from that era (heck, even today) that can stand up to track abuse without overheating. If he's giving you a good price on it, I'd jump. 996 GT2 values have climbed up in the last year or so. They were severely undervalued at 75k and most are trading hands in the 80k range now.

As far as maintenance... yeah it's going to cost a bit. The engines and gearboxes are reliable but if a $25k engine rebuild would be financially devastating I'd pass. Brakes and tires are fairly standard costs. I guess it's all about what seems normal to you. I don't know if all GT2s came with carbon ceramics but if you track the car, take them off immediately to save for future sale. They don't last long on the track and are insanely expensive to replace. Most track guys switch to steel brakes and don't miss out much on performance or weight. Even ceramics on Porsches today are just awful on the track unless you have an unlimited budget. They always say "the new ceramics are better than the last generation" and a year later someone that bought into the bullshit is complaining about a $16k brake job after a year of tracking.

Anyway, good luck with the decision. For my money it'd be hard to turn down a 997 GT3 but I've idolized that car for far too long to be objective about it.

Thanks for all the useful information, I don't know either why he would change for an RX-8 but he is an asian guy in his sixties so take that as you will, regarding the buying price he made it semi-clear to me that he planned to give it to me (or give me a loan on it) as a wedding gift but I was trying to tell him that there's no way in hell I'd keep it in good condition because of the cost of ownership. You're talking about 25k engine change, that's what I make in a year. It's a fine car tho and probably the last porsche I like but yeah I think I'll pass.

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009

Tindjin posted:

(Sorry for the xpost from 'Awesome' thread but thought this should come here as well)

Saw this little thing running down the road few days ago here in Abq. Not sure if it is a real 'rallye' car or if just a tribute but it looked like a hell of a lot of fun to drive. I love older 911s.

Guess he tried to do a replica of this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tR5rzdZkNfY but it's wrong on so many levels

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009
Don't know about that but silver is the best color for 996's imo