Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Is the rule still the same on 944's - 5k for a good model or 3k for a car with 2k worth of work to bring it back up to snuff?

I'm pretty sure this rule applies to all Porsche's. Pay $C for one in good condition or pay $A + $B for one that needs things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Tell me about 996 Turbos. They're still reasonably priced enough for me to afford.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

Oh and that engine is about $30k to rebuild so don't do anything dumb.

What is is about Porsche engines that makes them so expensive to rebuild? Are the parts a lot more expensive or is the labor generally a huge chunk of that? I know even the NA ones are in the $20k range when poo poo goes bad.

Gonna talk to my credit union at work today to see what they can do for me so that if I do find something I like I can jump. I also need to try and find a couple local to drive before I decide that I really want one. I don't think the prices on them are really gonna go much lower than they are now, and I don't think they'll go completely nuts like air cooled prices, but who the hell knows.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

make sure to avoid photos of the headlights and you're golden.

One of my biggest hangups with the 996 has always been the headlights, but the ones on the Turbo's really aren't that bad. It's the early ones that had the full on fried egg rounded on the bottom headlights that I can't stand. There really is no saving the narrow body ones though.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Were 95% of the 996TT's sold silver? Because they're all loving silver.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Rakekniven posted:

Saw my first Cayman GT4 in the wild. It's unreal how much more aggressive they look in person than base Caymans.

I'm glad that they immediately sold a couple years worth of these right off the bat because they offer long enough loans where I could realistically afford one if I happened to come across one sitting at the dealer.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

ColHannibal posted:

Went to a show a few weeks ago with my dad and we won second place! The last photo is the old goof ecstatic he finally won something.

http://m.imgur.com/a/jRccN

Nice 356!

Looks like I might have a lead on a yellow 996TT. Got the number from an independent Porsche shop here in town that has been doing work on the car since 2007. According to them it's pristine outside of the spoiler not working and a few "less than tasteful stickers". I'm told it's yellow lamin-x on the headlights and a CIVIC MUSTANG PORSCHE banner on the windshield, so nothing that shouldn't be easily removable. <40k miles and $46.5k asking with some possible "wiggle room" on that. Gonna have to give that guy a call.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

DrakeriderCa posted:

Please save that car from its owner. :ohdear: At least it sounds like it's maintained.

The guy is apparently a doctor(a shock, I know) that has 6 or 7 Porsche's. I'm not sure if this shop works on all of them, but they said he takes real good care of them, so there's that. I'd still get a PPI done, wonder if that shop would be a good choice due to their relationship with the guy?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Drove this bad boy today

untitled-0031 by John Gallup, on Flickr

best shot I got of the interior color

untitled-0019 by John Gallup, on Flickr

Very :awesome:

Gotta decide if it's what I want now. The banner and lamin-x would obviously go. I can live with the wheels. They said this guy does it to all of his cars. So that means the GT4 that is replacing this car will get the same treatment...

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
The interior color seems to be getting the most hate, but I didn't think it was that bad.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

MrChips posted:

It's just saddle brown...nothing weird about it IMO. Except it doesn't really go with the yellow exterior.

Definitely not the best combo. It wasn't terrible or anything.

Just saw my first GT4. God drat. It's a sign. That I need a GT4.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

DrakeriderCa posted:

Also painful: the Cayman R's being sold at awesome prices so people can pay for their GT4's :smith:

I forgot about the Cayman R. I'd rock one of those at the right price. None anywhere near here though.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

DrakeriderCa posted:

Rennlist + one-way plane ticket = :getin:

I'd absolutely travel for a vehicle again. I flew to Minneapolis for a VW cabby one time, so yeah...

Test drove a couple more cars today. C6 Z06 and a Golf R. The Z06 was alright. The Golf R was cool and if I hadn't driven a 911 turbo and the Z06 within a day I would have been impressed. It would definitely be a good daily.

The 996TT had me giggling when I drove it. The Z06 didn't. The sales guy being in the car with me probably didn't help a lot. I liked the power delivery and sound, I just don't think I can see myself in one.

Also stopped by the local Porsche dealership and talked with a guy about the GT4 for a while. He basically told me "good luck" in regards to getting one. Him telling me about driving one didn't make me want one any less :(

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I look at the stupidest things sometimes.

Look, a GT3!. and another!

Just because it's a dumb financial move doesn't make it a bad one, right? Not like they're gonna get any lower than that :v:

e: wonder what is wrong with that second one. That's stupid cheap compared to what other cars are being listed at.

fknlo fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Sep 11, 2015

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

leica posted:

The white one DO EEEEET!

Under no circumstances is a GT3 a dumb financial move, rationalize it any way you can :v:

That white one is loving gorgeous. The payments would be the same as on a 996 just over a couple more years...

It would also be a kickass road trip bringing it back from San Fransisco.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

DrakeriderCa posted:

I came for the GT4, I stayed for the Rennlist slapfight

Yeah, that was pretty good. I called about a GT4 I saw listed in Illinois. "One of our 918 buyers decided to sell it. It's been titled but never driven. $120k." Not interested, sorry.

Did get a lead on another 996TT in state. Trying to get more pictures and info. Black on black with the carbon interior package, so a little less polarizing than the last one I looked at. If it looks good talking to the guy I'll try and check it out next week.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

blk posted:

I really hope the move to turbo only doesn't start driving up the price of NA 997s :(

I was reading a thread on Rennlist about this and I kind of agree that it depends on how good the new turbo engines are. They'll obviously still be desirable, but if they hit it out of the park with the new engines it may not be much of a factor. On the other hand, once they shitcan NA engines in the GT3/4 line you can expect those to go completely nuts. All the more reason for me to buy one!

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Should get to check out another 996TT this week. 2001, black/black, carbon package, <25k miles, $46.5 asking. He says the only issues are a small ding on one of the rear quarter panels and a scratch on one of the wheels. So it's probably a rusted out shell with a salvage title.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Flew an hour to meet a guy from craigslist. Did not get turned into a lampshade. Car was in really good shape outside of a couple dings. Will also need new tires. Probably gonna get a ppi done on it.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

That's strong money for a 996TT but the miles are ridiculously low so I'm betting it's worth the premium. Good luck with the PPI.

If I was staying up in Denver much longer I would definitely be in the market for a 996TT or 997TT. Something odd happened in the last two years: I like the updated 996 headlights and the 997TT almost looks too gaudy with the vents and holes and weird foglights. The 996 interior will always be a challenge for me to appreciate though.

I thought the price was pretty good. Most of the cars I've seen in that mile range are listed for $50k+. It does have those small dings and will for sure need new tires (fronts are original), so I was thinking of offering just under $45k for it. It's also not a high option car, but I'm OK with that because the nav unit in them isn't exactly great. And who doesn't need a tape player? Only other "issue" is that he has done stuff like oil changes himself and just has receipts for oil and filter, but that's how I'll do it too, so that's just a wash. I'll post a few bad pictures in a bit.

I'm kind of with you on the 997tt fog lights. They look really weird since I've been looking at 996 cars. I still can't stand narrow body 996's or the early ones with the actual boxter headlights.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Tremek posted:

Am I totally off base in thinking 996TTs were $10k cheaper a year ago? Is anyone actually tracking this?

I wasn't looking a year ago, but I'm pretty sure that prices have gone up. You can still find cars in the mid to upper $30k range, but there's that standard Porsche thing where a car is going to cost at least $XXk no matter what you actually pay. One of the things that seems to be driving up prices is the air cooled guys buying them as cars to drive while their cars skyrocket in value sitting in their garage.

For the car I'm looking at, both independent shops where I live told me the only place to get the PPI done where the car is is at the local dealership. Naturally the dealership doesn't have any available appointments for a couple weeks. They said if the owner could drop the car off Monday or Tuesday they'd be able to get to it in a couple days at most. So of course the owner doesn't want to do this. Doesn't want to leave it there, it might rain on it, extra mileage, etc... So now it's time to make a bunch of phone calls to get this figured out because I really don't want to wait a couple of weeks.

e: Got a PPI scheduled but it's not until the 29th :negative:

God drat I don't want to wait that long. Hopefully it doesn't rain. It sucks but I really think the car is clean enough with low enough miles to make it worth it.

fknlo fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Sep 17, 2015

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
So the car that I looked at last week that couldn't get a PPI done until next week...

They apparently put it on ebay without saying anything to me and sold it a couple of days ago. What the gently caress? gently caress you.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

howling_mad posted:

Bullet dodged my friend.

I'm hoping he just decided to not sell it. He didn't really seem like he wanted to and was in no rush to do so. I don't know why he wouldn't just tell me that he decided not to sell it though. I sure as poo poo didn't see it on ebay any time I've done searches on there.

e: found the ebay listing. Ended 3 days ago. Why the hell wouldn't you mention that it was on ebay? It was pretty loving obvious that I was interested in the car.

fknlo fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Sep 24, 2015

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

Or that he knew it wouldn't pass after you asked for it. Bullet dodged indeed.

This is all I can really come up with in all honesty. Oh well, I'll just keep searching. Initial list prices for 996TT's seem to be climbing a bit, so hopefully I'll still be able to find something good in the price range I've set. Seeing a lot of cars start off in the $50k range now :smith:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
What's this threads consensus on wood trim interiors in 911's? I generally don't care for them, but have found a red one with the savannah beige interior with the full wood trim and don't hate it in pictures at least. I definitely like the carbon fiber better, but it doesn't look bad in this particular instance. One of the big things I didn't like about the first car I looked at was the wood trim interior, but it was really out of place in that weird color combo the car had. There's a very similar car with the carbon trim in California but the dude is asking $10k more than the car in the picture. Which is loving ridiculous.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

Its not bad, not good either.

This was kind of my feeling. It's doesn't look anywhere near as bad as in the yellow one I looked at. The price and mileage on this one are what has me interested. I could probably live with it? I do like it better than the ones with just plain old plastic pieces, but that's not saying a lot.

e: found a post about that particular car on rennlist from a guy who looked at it. Already has some delamination issues. My garage not being climate controlled won't really help that much either.

fknlo fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Sep 28, 2015

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Gorgar posted:

I think I'd like wood trim, but with a black interior. It looks strange to me with beige.

I'm not a particular fan of carbon fiber for the looks, but it's an improvement over the standard wheel I had before because it doesn't get roughed up by normal use.

I like both trim options better than the standard plastic. I don't think I've seen any cars with the full leather option yet.

This is the only other car I've come across in the past few days that I have any real interest in. I didn't think I'd like that interior color with carbon fiber but I do. I think the price is way too high. Hopefully it will sit and he'll lower it to the mid $40's. There was an X50 car with 10k miles for only $2k more in St. Louis this week. I think it sold almost instantly because that price was good, but this particular car shouldn't be priced anywhere near that.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

What is it about Rennlist that makes members think their car is worth $10k more than market?

It's not just people on Rennlist huffing their own farts. Look at Autotrader and you'll find plenty of 50+ thousand mile cars that aren't anything special listed at $50k+. I think people are trying to force prices up, but I'd say the majority of those cars have been listed since I started looking.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

8ender posted:

Worse is that there's apparantly a sizeable amount of people buying old Porsche's as "investment" cars. Basically fixing them and locking them away.

Have you seen the prices air cooled cars are going for these days? There are people who think that is going to happen ANY MINUTE NOW with water cooled cars. There's also the thing where people buying water cooled cars to fix and lock away need one to drive, so they're buying 996 turbo's which is what I'm guessing has driven the price up on them over the past year. There are still plenty of them at reasonable prices, they just happen to all be silver and I'm trying to not buy a silver one. I'm even fine with 50k-ish miles provided the price reflects that. Unfortunately most people seem to be hitting the crack pipe pretty hard.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

howling_mad posted:

I recognize the differences but have you given any thought to looking at a Cayman S? The performance is relative unless you're tracking.

If the current gen were in my price range I'd give them more thought. The first gen doesn't really do it for me as far as looks go.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Sh4 posted:

Don't know about that but silver is the best color for 996's imo

Not gonna lie, when detailed right, silver does not look bad on them. It's just soooooo common.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

DrakeriderCa posted:

The best Porsche colour is def Ultraviolet

If you can't appreciate this, you're dead inside

For 996's my favourite colour is still their Blue

I always build the GT3 RS in ultraviolet. It's the only real choice.

And yeah, I'd love to find a Lapis or Midnight Blue car.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

M_Gargantua posted:

So since I feel the need to check again, the IMS on a 2001 turbo is the oil fed kind not a ball bearing and doesn't have the common failure. I've always thought this and if I'm wrong I'm going to have it replaced before winter.

The IMS issue is not a thing with turbo cars.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Did early 997s still have ims issues? Specifically the S versions. Considering expanding my search with some C2S action, but probably not if that's an issue.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

997.1 yes.
997.1 no.

997.1 was 2005-2008 and 06-08 had a different IMS bearing design that did not fail as often.*

* 2005 IMS bearing - good on track, bad on street
2006-2008 IMS bearing - good on street, bad on track

Find a 997.1 that had the bearing addressed and drive happy. Or find a shop that does the IMS fix from Flat6 Innovations (http://flat6innovations.com/), it's not that expensive.

Food for thought: The 997.2 base Carrera makes 10hp less but has the newer DFI engine and updated electronics/lights/interior. If I was looking at the 997.1 C2S I'd go with the 997.2 C2 any day. Lots of threads on Rennlist about that debate.

I've been trying to do some reading on the various forums. I asked about the IMS issues because there really is a whole lot of conflicting information as far as 997's go. One of the independent shops I've been to here even told me they'd never seen a 997 have an IMS failure so they didn't believe it was an issue. I'll have to take a look at the base 997.2 as I hadn't really considered them. I'll try and find some local cars and go for test drives to see what I think. They're still all quite a bit of money for what you're getting, but I still want a 911, so whatever. I'm still looking at 996TT's too.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Thanks! I'll definitely keep all that in mind. Knowing all that I guess I really wouldn't have much of an issue getting a base 997.2 if it had most of the options I wanted.

I'm also going to keep an eye out for 997.1 esses with the X51 package. They don't seem to be very common though. There was a bit of a fuss on Rennlist recently as a dealer got a 2007 C2S that the PO had an X51 engine put in at his own cost after the stock blew and nothing else was available. They put it up for $40k and it sold really quick. Basically a brand new engine that cost more than the car sold for to put in... :psyduck:

So doing a bit of searching I've found a 2005 C2S X51 with a touch under $40k miles listed at $43k. I'd seriously consider that if I could talk them down a bit on price.

e: running that car through the VIN decoder doesn't show that car as being an X51...

fknlo fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Oct 31, 2015

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

If you can get an X51 in the low 40s I'd say that's a pretty solid buy. Remember it's 300-400lbs lighter than a 996 turbo and is only down ~35hp. Of course that's painfully ignoring the fact that a Cobb tune can get a 996 TT within spitting distance of 500hp without much work.

What sites do you use to search for cars?

If I get a 996 Turbo I'll honestly be pretty hesitant to do mods to it. Gonna be worth more stock, etc... I'm pretty sure I'd be more than happy with an X51. Not sure how common they are, but there aren't a whole lot of them up for sale at the moment. I'm just assuming it's going to be rare since it was like a $16k upgrade. I wish a GT3 were realistically in my price range as it's basically my "attainable" dream car. Unfortunately I'm just not willing to spend that much money on one.

I've been pretty much using the same sites as you in my search. Autotrader, rennlist, 6speedonline, carmax every now and then, and then craigslist. Get the search whittled down to whatever you want on craigslist and then you can search the region fairly easily by just changing the front part of the address to whatever city you want. There are some that are weird, but most of them are pretty obvious as to what they are and it basically just carries over your criteria to each city.

e: I need to go drive some Cayman's as well. I don't particularly care for the looks of the 987 and the 981's are not quite in my price range yet but I still need to drive at least one.

fknlo fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Nov 1, 2015

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
If I won the lottery I'd be on the phone to Singer pretty much first thing.

I'm still searching for a car of course. Still focusing on 996TT's. Asking prices have definitely increased since I've started looking by at least a couple thousand dollars. I'm definitely becoming less hopeful of finding one in a condition I want at the price point I want.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Found an X50 car on Autotrader. In Illinois so not terribly far from me, <20k miles. Listed for $46k. :crossarms:

Gonna give them a call tomorrow. Rennlist seems to think it's a car that a forum member had that had a bad rotten egg smell from the exhaust. Must be pretty bad at that mileage/price.

There's also a lower mileage X50 car that is obviously a scam since it's listed at $35k and has popped up twice tonight listed with different dealers.

I am also slowly coming to the realization that I might have to go with a silver car to get something in my price range. They're definitely cheaper than other colors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

howling_mad posted:

Just saw this, seems like a pretty decent deal--maybe too good of a deal? https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ram/cto/5284598835.html

I honestly have no idea what kind of deal that might be. I've seen a lot of base 996's in the low to mid $20k range but have no real idea what pricing on them is. Doesn't seem like a horrible price though.

That X50 car in Illinois was definitely bought back by the manufacturer at 11k miles. I'm just assuming that's why it's priced so low? That doesn't seem like a huge knock if you have documentation that it was for a smell from the exhaust, especially if there is now no smell from the exhaust. They're closed today so I can't call them for more info.

Also came across this car in St. Louis. More miles than I've really looked at, but with that service history I might be pretty interested at about $40k if they could be talked down that far. It looks as clean as the black 22k mile car I looked at. In pictures at least. Probably doesn't smell like farts either.