Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
Hi Porsche thread. After many years of living symptom-free, my family’s congenital porsche obsession has manifested, and it has done so in the worst way. Apparently I now desire a 356 outlaw coupe. I’m not looking to race it, I just want to enjoy the ride.

No, I don’t have the money to order an Emory outlaw. I’ve been vacillating between several other options, all of which I know are terrible. They are:

1. Buy a 356 coupe (yes, some can be acquired for “reasonable” prices) and get some customization done.
2. Buy a replica.
3. Pay a custom chassis maker to build me a rolling chassis, with my choice of suspension and motor, and get a Porsche restorer to do the interior and details.
4. Become much richer quickly.

Here are my conclusions so far:
1. The reality is that I don’t have the time or patience to deal with carbureted engines or a car that rusts whenever it observes a cloud. That makes the first option challenging.
2. Replicas are weird. I’ve already ruled out VW-based replicas. There are a couple of shops that make their own frame and chassis. There does not seem to be a reputable replica maker that will make one with a decent suspension. I know that by default these cars are, uh, not so good, and I find little value in emulating their lousy underpinnings.
3. This seems like an unbounded money pit. It doesn’t look like a well-travelled path except by truly insane people with much more money to burn than I.
4. Outlook not so good.

This is the part where you tell me that I’m an idiot and all of these are terrible ideas. I already know that but go ahead and say it anyway. After that please talk me out of all of these options. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Now I’m noticing this everywhere. I hate you guys

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
Go, drive cars, pretend you have a lot of money and you’re totally gonna buy this turbo, give them a fake phone number, and run away. They’re not going to pressure you to buy at the event, though they are hoping the euphoria of driving these cars is going to make you lightheaded and commit to buying one.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

the spyder posted:

Right now, I just want to drive an old air cooled Porsche. Cars not perfect, don’t really want it to be. I just want to enjoy it.
1) Glass and seals to make it water tight
2) Headlights, wipers, and any other missing exterior pieces
3) Interior overhaul: Gauges, seats, carpet kit
4) Refresh suspension: Bushings, struts, brakes

At that point, it should be ready for a motor. I’ll rewire it based on the engine.

It was being stripped for track use. It needs almost everything, down to the brake booster.

I mean, you need everything. But I’d suggest you do the brakes, steering, and the minimum of everything else you can to get a motor in there and get it driving. The excitement of taking it around the block is the greatest motivator you’ll have to do more work on it, and it will help you figure out what your biggest priorities are.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
Good luck getting anything that isn’t flat into that engine bay.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Residency Evil posted:

Is there a general consensus on which air cooled 911 is the best bang/buck? It's tough for me to get a sense of whether a newer car with the G50 transmission is the way to go over something with the 915, and just how much of a PITA an air cooled engine is for upkeep.

Being air cooled isn’t particularly worse for upkeep and they’re pretty easy to work on. You tend to see more of the oil leaks so it’s harder to ignore, which is annoying.

What’s a giant PITA is distributors and carburetors. Once you have fuel injection and electronic ignition, your life gets much better.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Cars are supposed to be fun, who cares if they perform well if the way that they get to that point is boring.

Exactly this. My daily driver gets up to felony speed so quickly and so smoothly, there’s no joy in it. That’s why I bought an old Porsche.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
Porsche will sell you parts for a 356 going back to 1956.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
Let’s say I’m an idiot and walk into a Porsche dealership. I have a spec sheet for a new Carrera T and tell them I want one built exactly like this (nothing insane but also not the highest specced one you can possibly make). How is that going to go? Are they going to kill me on markup? Tell me to take a hike? Pretend like my money is actually something they desire and give me good customer service?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
There’s a surprising inventory of T’s at dealers here. Of course they all have every option imaginable. I’ll keep wading through those to see what turns up.