Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Sigma X posted:

I'm talking about incidents like the door handles snapping due to heat fatigue after 6 years, door card seals rotting away after 6 years, dash upholstery fading out after 5 years, stretched shifter cables after 6 years, gas cap retaining leash snapping after 5 years, power steering pump failure, and general non-durability of items not critical to "this car moves". The IMS seal issue, and Porsche's non-acknowledgement of it, is an entire other issue on its own, and one I haven't run into, happily. The engine itself has been worry-free other than the occasional belch of smoke on startup.

EDIT: Oh, yeah, and the rubberized coating on the radio and climate control switches coming off like a strippers' clothes at a bachelor party.

At least you haven't had the front control module and related issues that I had after I made the mistake of buffing the damned car. It set off a cascade of failing modules and random electrical gremlins--who knew that each door had a control module?

I also had one of the ends of the shifter cable break, and it needed a clutch at 65,000 miles. It looked fantastic, no abuse, but was just worn enough to be out of spec. Right before this, at about 55,000 miles, the transaxle had to be rebuilt because third gear chewed itself up.

No engine problems, though. I do miss the handling but I couldn't take that at least once a month it wasn't going to crank. I traded it in for a nice reliable Dodge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Sadi posted:

I've tooled around in my brothers 2013 cayman s and that's about how I felt about it. It's an awesome car but I feel like day to day I have more fun driving my e46 m3. The cayman was like my miata with too much grip (I'm coming from thinking a NA miata with lovely all season tires is a ton of fun to running 225/45/15 RS3s and thinking those made the Miata boring). Fast (well the miata isn't fast) and fun but the limits were way away from what you'd want to do on the street. I bet it's a loving blast on the track though.

I agree with my Cayman S feeling sort of like a Miata with more power, stability, and grip. It was easier to drive like a dong than the e46 M3 I had but not as easy as the E55 AMG, and more problems than both of those put together.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

SlapActionJackson posted:

Run away. Run away quickly

Hahahahaha Jesus gently caress run away.

Leopold Stotch posted:

Word, that was fast. Thanks everyone, I'm gonna keep looking.

Holy poo poo, somebody took advice. It's a fuckin' miracle. Good on you.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

guidoanselmi posted:

Had a feeling you guys would appreciate the ad. It was interesting reading some of the stories he wrote. Though TBH, you could expect someone who would write that ad would be really responsive and full of details. He also sent a sizable PDF on taking care of the car, I might post that later...

He reported, collected, and put the car for sale before heading abroad.

Yupppp. The first thing I noticed.

I figure I'd get a rebate or some fractional discount to a new set on tire-wear warranties? I've never taken my tires back for that, anyway.

A tangentially related story that might belong in another thread:
I did have a recent tire issue. I had a flat on a new tire and used fix-a-flat to hold it over until I could get it to a shop. I later noticed there was a nail through the crown, ok, should be an easy plug fix? As far as I know the tire never got lower than 20 (or even 25) psi, should be OK. I took it to Dobbs Tire, where I got the original tire, maybe two weeks after using Fix-A-Flat.

The first tech who looks at it said it should be easy to plug, but I get a call a little while later saying they need to replace it because there was significant damage and that the tire was totally torn up. They didn't have any of the same tires available and that the only one that was in stock was ~$75 more, after warranty. I'm pretty surprised but agreed to a replacement under warranty. I later go in and ask to see it, the tech and then the manager pointed to the Fix-A-Flat residue as the tire damage.

I told the manager that it was clearly Fix-A-Flat and not rubber. I scraped off the residue, offered him to feel it, and showed the tire below it. He deflected, said that Fix-A-Flat is a liquid and cannot be a solid, and said that the inner side wall was damaged. I asked him to show me and he had trouble finding the few creases, ~1 mm deep and a few cm long, from sitting at low pressure. I said that that sort of mark isn't structurally compromising, to which he said that the nail had not gone in the crown. It was pretty unbelievable listening to him come up with new things that we could clearly see weren't the case.

I imagine tire shops get refunded if it's a warranty replacement? If so, this seems like a classic bait and switch bilking the manufacturer & customer. I imagine hardly anyone going through that shop asks to see their old tires. I contested it with the credit card because the tech who informed me of the damage on the phone was a loving moron and misinformed me.

They were saying that because fix-a-flat is a huge mess and makes it so patches and plugs don't adhere worth a poo poo without scouring the inside of the tire. It's an enormous dirty pain in the rear end and wipes out any money they would make on fixing the hole. In short, buy a plug kit for $5 and gently caress fix-a-flat forever.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Larrymer posted:

What the hell, where is the engine? They put some paneling over it in the trunk?

It's a mid-engine car, the engine is in the middle.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

I serously want to get a 2010-ish Cayenne Turbo S and redneck the poo poo out of it. Mud Grapplers, fabricated bumpers, winches, lightbars, the works. I think it would piss off almost everybody and still be pretty quick.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Motronic posted:

Mine pisses off the purists, but generally gets a lot of "hell yeah, I've never seen one actually dirty before" comments. I haven't gone as far as bumpers, because it's really not the kind of vehicle that you want to/will be good at crawling. I'm taking home hints from Taureg guys in attempting to fit a hidden winch, but it's kinda tough on the turbos because the front is slam full of intercoolers and poo poo.

And you definitely want a 2010 or older (955 or 957) for this, because the 958's down have a low speed transfer case.

I definitely want low range.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

kimbo305 posted:

Figure 6?: https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Porsche-996-997-Carrera/37-TRANS-Transmission_Removal/37-TRANS-Transmission_Removal.htm

The short shifter install doc notes:
"Unfortunately, at this time the only way to renew the transmission-end bushings is to replace the entire cable. Replacement is pretty straightforward--it involves disconnecting the cable from the shifter and then feeding it through the engine compartment to the transmission."

I didn't like the shifting before I install the short shifter. After, the shift timing was much better, but feel wasn't great.

When that plastic socket retaining clip on the shifter cable broke on my Cayman, the only replacement cable I could find was a $600 aftermarket one with billet aluminum ends or the $600 OEM one from the dealership.

I used two zip ties to hold it on and carried spares in the car with me. I had to replace the zip ties once before I got rid of it.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

McTinkerson posted:

I'm about couple months away from pulling the trigger on a Durametric. It seems to be the best in regards to cost/capabilities.

I have an Enthusiast Durametric that's been sitting in my garage unused. I'll sell it to you for $150 shipped. PM me if interested.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Russian Bear posted:

Good to know and agree that the cabrios look bad.

My attainable dream car is on BAT, wonder what this will end up going for:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2007-porsche-cayman-s-35/

Those gauges look like they’re a nightmare to read.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Motronic posted:

They're fine. It's the picture that sucks. When the car is on the numbers are backlit well.

Makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

What’s the consensus on the 1G Panamera? The prices are low enough to be pretty tempting. I have to have room for 3 and 911 prices are insane right now. I figure most Panemeras were bought by olds and lightly used so should be in decent shape.