Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Buy a silver one and pay a couple thousand for an obnoxious colored vinyl wrap?

I really really want need to own a Carrera 4S sometime in the future but current Porsche owners are crazy with their valuations. It looks like the best "value" for buying them is right after the initial depreciation hit before they level off because they'll "totally appreciate in value, just you see" (confirm/deny?)

It just means I'll have to wait longer to afford a newer one :(

And yeah, why does it seem like there's an overabundance of silver cars on the road? It's like the streets are monochrome, barely ever see any fun colors around locally, not only for Porsches but in general as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Well, the way it's worded, he might just be stating that it has an IMS bearing as a feature :v:

God drat people, they don't charge you by the letter, put some thought and effort into your multi thousand dollar for-sale ad :argh:

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

SlapActionJackson posted:

Run away. Run away quickly

Yeah, this is a HUGE red flag.

If you're feeling sneaky, take an extended test drive and coincidently drive it to a trusted garage.

But yeah. That sounds like they want to hide something and don't want you figuring it out until after you've signed the paperwork.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Ha, only $1k for the undercoating and 11.5%? That's FAR from the worst I've heard of.

And it's a VAG product, CEL is implied.

On that note, the 09 911 Carrera 4s cabrio we had for the wedding flipped out for a few mins and gave warnings for indicator bulbs out and I don't remember what else. Few minutes later it was all fine and dandy. I'm assuming this was just the usual VAG gremlins, or was there actually something wrong with it?

Also aparantly it had a thirst for oil as they were filling it up before we took it out. :v:

I still want one so bad.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

fknlo posted:

The likelihood of that car being a complete basket case of electronics issues is very, very high.

Well yeah, it's a Porsche :rimshot:

I think I'd be more comfortable with a flood loss if I saw pictures of why it became a flood loss (minor fresh water intrusion into the cabin vs fully submerged in the dead sea) and I think it still might be preferable over a major structural repair.

But a clean title would be much more desirable of course.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

I like it, and the bed seems like it would be so useful.

(Seriously though it does look pretty clean)

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

I don't have too much experience with them, but a friend has one. From what I remember his has (factory I think?) rust proofing on the rockers and underneath, not a spec of rust on his and I haven't really heard about rust issues with them. The only things I can remember he had to deal with over the years are the struts for the rear hatch getting tired (lots of glass so the thing weighs a good amount), some electrical issues with the gauge cluster, and I think the lock/opening mechanism on the trunk and passenger door gave out and he had to replace/finagle with them.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

fknlo posted:

They're galvanized, but that doesn't mean there's not some loving battery tray that collects water and then somehow rusts out the floorboard so I figured I'd ask. I know the general issues with them are belts/waterpumps/tensioners and that the clutch is a major PITA. Sounds like fun to me! I'm sure it's probably rough as hell in person so it doesn't matter.

I just remembered, he had his balance shaft belt snap (It's a separate belt I guess, or maybe its on the accessory belt?). Don't know about the clutch, his is an auto :(
Good luck, and maybe someone else has more experience with them can chime in on regular issues.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Whatever happened to the guy with that white 944 with the small block swapped in.

I think the thread was titled nine fo fo ls juan.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Any opinions on a high mileage (relatively) ,05 boxster base? It's got 165 k km (just over 100k miles) and from the minimalist description and two pictures in the ad, it looks in decent shape. Did a quick search for a buyers guides and beyond the basics I didn't see anything too model specific.

What are the chances it's a basket case and what should I look out for? It's priced reasonably for the market it's in and I want a baby Porsche to tool around in for the rest of summer and sell in a year or two. I'm flying out to Ontario this week and if it looks good I hope to drive it back to Winnipeg, it seems the Porsche prices here are a good couple thousand higher than Ontario so I might actually make out ahead on the desk in the end.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Throw out bearing perhaps? At a particular load it's grinding and only in first could be because the gear changes are quick enough in other gears?

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

From what I've read they don't suffer the IMS issue, and I'm not sure if it's been winter driven, with the mileage I'm leaning towards yes. He says it's never been in an accident and that it's all original. The seller's retired so hopefully it hasn't been horribly abused. It's from the Niagara falls region so not sure what to expect, thinking of trying to go see it tonight, it's an hour away from where I'm staying. Did all Porsches get the fancy full chassis rust proofing dip or is that just the 911 and not the lesser boxster?

Anyway, hopefully I'll be able to see it tonight and it's as nice as it's described. I'm pretty smitten already so I'm trying to keep a clear head as much as I can and not do a really stupid purchase.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

I'm not too well versed on Porsche pricing but trolling kijiji I think it might be a good price. He's got it listed at 17k CAD and I've offered $15k to see if he'll bite and he hasn't said no to that, and I'll see the condition of the car within the next day or two and talk with him in person.

From looking at Winnipeg sale ads, with what I know about it, it would be listed at ~$19k-20k back home.

Hell, there's 98's with ~130k km listed at $14k

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Yeah I still have the Baja, it's been sitting the garage as I've been lazy and kept getting distracted with side projects. Was wanting to paint it this year but I'm pretty behind, hopefully I can squeeze that in before the end of fall.

And I kinda went against the nagging in my head and I left a deposit on the car with an agreement to purchase for a total price of $14.5k CAD. (Just over $11k USD if Google is to be believed)

The good:

Clean title, The body is near perfect, no dents, no rust that I could spot anywhere, the suspension is phenomenal, it's got lots of meat on the brakes, comes with two sets of oem wheels, current owner hasn't winter driven it, all the electronics function, and I mean all of them, it's been maintained for the last few years by a guy who just hands it to a mechanic with the instructions to do what's needed, the top has no rips and appears in good condition, the motor sounds phenomenal, test drove it for about an hour and a half and couldn't find/hear anything wrong mechanically with the car, clutch feels pretty nice.

The so-so:
Interior has seen better days for sure but considering it's age and mileage it's pretty decent. It's got an aftermarket stereo, tires will need to be replaced soon.

The bad:
The driver's speaker is blown, makes farty noises when it's turned up, the vents on the driver's side have detached from the flaps that direct airflow (you can tilt then left right but you can't move them up down, hopefully I'll be simple to reconnect the mechanisms) the window/windshield that sits between the seats vibrates a little at highway speed, I'll have to figure out how to stop that vibration. The two keys are tapped up so they look lovely, both function as remotes still, just look a little crappy.

For this price I talked him down to, I have the choice of slightly lower mileage 98-00 boxsters, or this one, and this body style definitely tickles my feathers better than the previous gen. I can live/fix/deal with it's flaws for the price I will pay.

Also I'm an idiot who doesn't take photos when looking at / buying a car so here's one from the ad:

Reading the replies, well, poo poo... I guess 92% is still a pretty good chance the one I just bought isn't going to poo poo the bed in the year or so I plan on owning it, it made it this far, right :ohdear:

Already talked with my wife and the way she put it is "it's only money" in response to my question of what happens it turns out I buy a dressed up basket case that does a bluesmobile impression after the title is transferred into my name. I love that woman

Bajaha fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jul 19, 2016

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

slidebite posted:

Is it a Canadian spec car or US? Maintenance records?

Did you look for leaks, RMS or anything like that?

Ask to do a cold start, preferably 24 hours+ when you go to get it.

I'd be optimistic that with that many miles the IMS should be OK but it's really a crapshoot. Do an oilchange and get a magentic drain plug if it doesn't have one already.

Take a photo of the build tag underside the frunk for all the option codes.

If it's like the 911, front and rear speakers are supposedly an easy 3.5" fit.

Congrats on porch ownership :hfive:

US Car, Maintenance records are spotty, the current owner seems like he just likes the car because it's a porsche, he didn't really seem knowledgable about cars or what maintenance was done other than it cost him a pretty penny. I found reciepts throughout the car for regular maintenance so it seems to fit his story.

Looked for leaks but the underside is a solid slab of plastic and getting the top into service positon and removing the engine cover was beyond the current owners comprehension. I looked hard for signs of it leaking and didn't see anything although that's no gaurentee. (no oil spots anywhere on his property, no smell, no oily residue on the underside anywhere)

I'll do the cold start before I hand over the rest of the money. I've got some money in a BMO account that I'll withdraw tomorow, and I've got the rest in a PC financial savings account so I've got to do some ATM fuckery to get it all out. Just got the idea that it might be simpler to just pay a $1.50 to do an interac e-transfer from my PC account to my BMO account and just withdraw the full amount in one go. The juices are flowing.

The seller says it had a recent oil change I believe, I'll double check the reciepts when I go with the money. Does it need some fancy german oil or is a full synth good enough? Probably going to do a change when I get home just for piece of mind.

Will do with the build tag. From the looks of it I think it's a base package, or well, I don't know. All I know is that it's not the Chrono package as there's no track timer on the dash :(

I'm gambling a bit by rusing into this, but I've only got until next thursday to pull out the money to buy it, obtain the TOD, send a fax to MPI and purchase a temporary registration from them that they will fax to me so that I can physically drive it off his lot legally, and tell my bosses to cancel my plane ticket back as I'll be driving my new financial dissaster porch! That horseshoe up my rear end better still be lucky.

Planning on buying the fancy CAA package as a just-in-case of dissaster, 320 km of towing should hopefully be enough to get me to civilization if I break down somewhere in rural ontario.

And thanks :hfive:

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Thanks for the info, you've been really helpful. My wallet wants me to flip it but my heart wants me to keep it as it completely reminded me of the 911 carrera convertible we had for our wedding so it's tugging all my emotional heart strings.

I suck at flipping cars because I fall in love with them too easily. I really want to drive it for at least the rest of this summer before putting it up for sale, but I don't think that'll happen. With this one we've now got 4 cars between the two of us so something has to go. The Impreza and this Boxster are the only two where we'll have a chance of making some money by reselling so both might go on the choping block and whatever sells first is the one to go.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

So I, ugh, lucked out. Car has the owner's manual, and a partial service history with about half a dozen receipts for various work done to it dating from 06 to 12.

Just drove it back from Niagara falls to Cambridge and it's definitely a great cruiser, top down got a little chilly by the end but was worth it.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Yeah, I've got to snap done good pics tomorrow, just have my phone so pics will be meh at best.

This thing needs a major detailing. PO was terrible at cleaning and I'll need to spend a whole weekend bringing all to showroom clean.

Also came with a set of Porsche twist wheels, I think that's what they're called, pics tomorrow, with winter tires so it's definitely been winter driven, just not by this PO. The carproof also came back squeaky clean which is nice.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Picture time!

And it's practically paying for itself!

Where is the option code sticker? Or what does it look like, couldn't find it on the fronk lid.

E: and these are the second set of wheels it came with:

Bajaha fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jul 21, 2016

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Found the option sticker, wasn't on the car, was in the maintenance manual:

this is what I was able to decode:

Internal production code related to tyres

Headlamp washer

Seat heating

18" Boxster 987.1 S wheels

Wheel caps with colored Porsche crest

Produced at Valmet plant in Uusikaupunki, Finland

Wind deflector

Storage box on engine cover

Xenon

Any ideas what CO2 means in there?

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

First CEL! :toot:

Brought my obdII scanner with me, so I know it's a small evap leak, went and refitted my gas cap and cleared the code. Hasn't come back yet so hoping that was the cause.

Sitting in a diner in Perry Sound and the car is just a dream to look at when it's parked on the street :allears:

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

My lips are sealed until I'm safely back at home tomorrow evening lest hubris be my downfall

E: shutting up didn't work. I'm 340km away from home and I'm assuming the alternator belt broke. Heard a snap, and the dash gave a charging system warning. Pulling off onto a side road off the highway and the steering was stiff so that's another clue pointing to the accessory belt. Already asked a friend to buy a belt so I'll replace it tonight once I make it back.

CAA covers me for 320km so I'll have to figure something out for the last 20km...

Bajaha fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jul 29, 2016

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

You'd think the model would look down and be confused as to why there's all this metal and plastic junk in the trunk.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Cross post from my project thread:

Anybody have recommendations for Porsche exhausts? I'm used to the Subaru world where you're drowning in options, it seems it's not so for Porsche. It's either $400 for an eBay cat back that has poo poo fitment and fab, or $2000 for the "cheap" cat backs, or $4000+ for companies I've never heard of.

There's got to be some middle ground, looking just for a dual tip look and a little more noise above 4k rpm.

I'm looking for a 987 Boxster, but general information is good too.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Do it. Boxster/Cayman should be a pretty great daily as far as two seater sports cars go.

Anybody know any good Porsche used parts classifieds? Trying to see what's out there in terms of used parts and it seems like the renlist and planet 9 classifieds move really slow.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

That thing is pretty :allears:

The chrono package is seriously on my top favorite things about porsches. It's such a small thing but I lust over that feature whenever I see it in a car.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

I'm getting used to older German car ownership. I just fixed the elastic tensioners on the top that ensure the fabric tucks into the window frame, and today I open my top and I hear a snap.

And the top won't close without me helping it but the clamshell goes up and down.

Quick research leads me to believe it's just the top push rods, specifically the plastic ball socket that breaks on them. Under $100 is parts and I should have a working to again. Just needed to vent.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

slidebite posted:

Hey Bajaha, when you did your waterpump what did you end up using for coolant that is compatible with the Porsche unicorn blood? Or did you just save the old stuff?

I am doing my AOS in the coming week(s) and I'm sure I'll lose some, but Pentosin goes for something like $20/L which is crazy.

I used the prestone one from Canadian tire and I did a full drain and fill. Bought the concentrated and mixed it with their deionized water.

http://www.pedrosgarage.com/Site_5/Coolant_Antifreeze.html

The coolant that came out of mine was the same green yellow like the prestone so I'm not sure if it was OEM to begin with.

I hope I didn't do anything wrong :shrug:

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

"IMMACULATE"

"recently had a deer strike"
"rear tires are bald" @ 11k miles.

He's definitely got an interesting take on immaculate. Can't comment on the price, but yeah 100% owned by a certified douche, named Logan. Any idea how robust the drivetrain is? Burnouts does seems like the most likely cause of his tire issues.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

MrChips posted:

Oh god the more you read into that, the bigger the trainwreck it becomes

Miata windshield...

I assume it's only ever driven in perfect weather as the seller has neglected to show any pictures with the top up (does it even have one?)

And what's with the whole 65 / 66 debate in the comments, some major difference between those two years?

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

They have a shitload of coolant and double the oil of what most cars have which probably accounts for the longer warm-up.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

My money is on abused cars if 30k is their clutch change interval.

Probably owned by owners with little mechanical sympathy or left leg skill. I can't imagine that 911 drivers to be comprised of a large number of idiots who'd hoon about in them considering the cost of admission.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

For the 986 you should be able to access it from the top under the convertible top access panel.

You may be able to get to it removing the cover behind the seats, but it's cramped there so I doubt you'd be able to see much on top of that engine from there.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Anybody have experience with the knock off durametric tools? I'm a little annoyed that the drl's are the main HID lamps and would want to switch them off and do some wiring so that the foglights become the drl's. Also would be nice to be able to turn off the service reminder when it inevitably comes up.

The $1000CAD for the pro tool that can do the drl's is a little hard to swallow, especially since I still can't decide how long I want to keep the car. From reading rennlist and planet 9 it seems the knock offs are either the cats rear end or they're liable to be faulty and can fry the ecu upon being plugged in.

Any suggestions? This would be for use on a 987.1 Boxster.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

The more maintenance I do, the more this thing is nickel and diming me. Changing plugs ( very much easier than on Subaru's) and the coil packs look like this:

Ran fine before, but definitely swapping these out while I'm in there. Surprised they're still working without any hiccups.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Oh man, I've only done the one so far because of the cold (weekend is back on the teens so I'm being lazy and waiting) and the plug took some playing back and forth to get the threads loose enough to remove without fear of shattering the plug. I'm hoping the rest I'll be able to weasel out with the same loosen-tighten-loosen rinse repeat pattern.

Snaked an endoscope into the hole and I've got a little bit of carbon but it's not terrible I think, there's a decent area on the piston that's clean where I'm assuming the incoming air/fuel mix cleaned it out. Pictures will come later.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

So uh... Yeah :gonk:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbpWozx2A6A

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

That is one purdy 944, the interior looks really good. Nice pickup!

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Awe gently caress.

I put up my boxster for $stupid thinking it'll sit for a while then I'll drop it down to more reasonable by next spring and now I've got a messaging me and I'm meeting up tomorrow to show him the car.

Was not expecting that...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Elephanthead posted:

drat it kimbo you are going to get me in trouble buying a non ppi 996 that will blow up in a week.

But it would be a very fun week.