Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Those Taycan numbers are a lot higher than I thought they would be.

Not surprised the Panamera doesn't sell.

Yeah, I own a Turbo S Executive, its cool and all, fast as well, but it costs absolute gently caress you money brand new. And to be honest the ride is rather rough and not nearly as quiet as an LS or S-Class which both cost half the price. The direct competitors in the 200k range are the Maybach and the Flying Spur. a ghost is too expensive to be considered a true competitor as its 350k+. And lets be real, for a luxury sedan isnt the point a smooth quiet ride? I'd also say a Maybach or a Bentley has more cachet for arrivals as well. That being said, I don't know how they sell Panamera's. let alone Taycans. As soon as I even mention (well yeah but its fast) I'm always reminded a tesla model 3 dual motor is just as fast and I can buy 4 of them for the price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

Blue Footed Booby posted:

But then you'd own a Tesla.

id rather walk

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The Panamera never quite made sense to me (other than as a lineup filler). I drove a colleague's Panamera 4S and it was pretty fast and handled pretty well but there wasn't anything all that special seeming about it. I couldn't figure out what the real value prop was - as you posted earlier, you can get more luxury and comfort for similar money. I feel like it was for the dude who already owns a 911 but has two twelve year olds they have to take to school during the week. Other than brand loyalty, I didn't get the appeal.

Thats really the only appeal. Needing a 4 door, not wanting an SUV and still wanting to tell people you "own a porsche"

The only practical use would be in germany where you can commute at 150+ and need a sedan that can actually handle the speed.

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

Residency Evil posted:

I'm with Kyoon: idgi. Cayennes and Macans are a dime-a-dozen in comparison to Panameras, and they outsell the Panamera worldwide including in China. Clearly, the world prefers SUVs over sedans for daily driver/family cars. The Panamera doesn't make sense to me in 2024, doubly so with the Taycan existing.

Yep, but the Panamera is positioned as a premium option over the Taycan according to my local dealership. They expect that as Porsche goes electric, petrol powered cars will turn into the real status symbols.

Macans and Cayennes are likewise simply status symbol cars as well. But I mean gently caress it, now they got Lambo, Ferrari, and Aston making god drat SUV's so clearly there's a market for status symbol SUV's.

Gonna get some hate for this, but I'd say the same poo poo is true of most GT owners, you never see the loving things anywhere but at the service bay and at cars and coffee. It's another "look at me" car for "look at me people" who cant afford italian cars that do the same thing. I think the real enthusiast cars only have 2 doors, and S, GTS, Spyder, Turbo, and Turbo S. Everything else is a wank.

Arione fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Sep 21, 2023

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

TheBacon posted:

You think GT products are for posers but not Spyder? Like literal GT only not all GT department cars? Overall I agree but the Spyder inclusion seems inconsistent.

People buy GT 3/3rs/4/4rs for the 'GT" You know how many god drat people have snubbed my spyder because its not called a "GT4 Spyder"? It's always, "isnt it just a boxster?" So no, if you dont know what it is, its not special, it doesnt have some giant rear end "look at me" wing on it. It's also not perceived as a "track car" Also only the 718 is from the "GT" division, despite the 981 being the same car as the old gt4, differing only in suspension components and steering rack. The 987 spyder's peer was the Cayman R.

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

Elite Taco posted:

I think more people should be 2004 986 S cars, tbh.

I think I'm going to aim to get a hard top for my 986 in 2024

theres 2 better options for the 986. Either get a Z top to make it look like a cayman, or you do a 986 spyder conversion, but that requires you to send / take your car to coral springs.

https://tunersmall.com/product/trs-porsche-986-spyder-conversion-kit/

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256...ayAdapt=kor2usa

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

Residency Evil posted:

I think the group that overlaps between "has the time/desire to track a GT car" and "can afford to write off a GT car at the track (track insurance notwithstanding)" is incredibly small.

From my time in southern california, anyone actually tracking Porsches usually mods out a spec boxster 986 or just buys a preowned 911 cup, or one of the new options from porsche motorsport direct, like a gt3R or a GT4CS.

GT3's are just road cars. a base boxster can be taken to a track just as well as a gt3, and it doesnt sting as bad when you write it off.

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos
loving Panamera is throwing evap codes again. It's blown 4 evap vent tubes so far. Porsche said this time its showing Large Leak, reset it and put a new gas cap on it and tried to give it back. Fortunately I've reset the drat light multiple times and it usually takes awhile to pop back up, so they are keeping it for testing..... Pretty drat sure its a valve failure somewhere overpressurizing the system, idk. starting to hate this car. also gently caress the EPA.

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

lol no. The biggest NARP ever produced? its a toaster....

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Neuropathy, ataxia, retinitis pigmentosa?

Not A Real Porsche

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

Motronic posted:

Oh, like my 944?

At one time, probably. 944's have gained alot of nostalgia and acceptance as of late. But when I owned my 85 absolutely it was considered a narp. I wasnt even welcome in the local pca back then

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

Motronic posted:

I think we're hearing that a "real porsche" can only be determined later by history.

I feel like its immediately judged upon launch, then gets a parole board every 10 years if deemed a NARP.

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Has there ever been a real Porsche on launch other than occasionally the 911?

I feel like the only 911 to be declared a NARP was the 996, but it was eventually forgiven and accepted. (muh air-cooled!)

Boxster definitely got a lot of NARP. But that seems to have waned at least among most of the Porsche community. The guy pushing a 90's Honda will still call it a NARP tho.
718 4 cylinder gets poo poo on alot by 6 cylinder owners. Porsche even changed the 718 GTS to the 4.0 6 cyl so maybe they have a point.

Cayman has always been accepted, to the point of people thinking its a totally different car than the boxster.

Gen 1 Cayenne's seem to have shaken their NARP stigma due to their off-road capabilities and now have a pretty good enthusiast following, but not the later models... The Cayenne Turbos are generally all well received.

Panamera has a massive following, especially in Europe.

Somehow 914 is well regarded, but mostly just the 914-6.

Macan is definitely a NARP.

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

Elite Taco posted:

The 996/986 have come into their own - really proving to be iconic in their own ways.

I love my 986 so freakin much.

Agreed, 986 sees massive representation on the track / autocross events as well. I've heard a lot of guys claim they'd rather have a 986 base over a 4 cyl 718 gts.... weather that's ego padding because they cant actually afford the latter I dont know... but to their credit, at least it has a flat 6.

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

Motronic posted:

They sound better and on the street you can have fun without being in "whoops, felony!" territory so quickly. Same reason I like the base over the S of the same gen as a daily driver. Sure, the S is a blast, but on a day to day basis......

I dont even think my 944 was capable of felony territory, one time I got pulled over by a (woman cop) for "horsing my engine" when I was downshifting, apparently she didnt know what a rev match was. My mother was in the car and couldn't believe how stupid the cop was. But then again that was Florida.

I caught like 4 tickets within a few months with my 987S. But that was also hawaii where the freeway is like 45 mph. She wasnt happy with 2nd gear.

Unfortunately I'm still in hawaii, but the island is so small wayze is up to the minute accurate so I can play a little with the panamera TSE and the Spyder. Still wish I was back on the west coast tho. When I retire hopefully I'll still have the cars and can enjoy them when I leave the island.

Being said I have dailied a 944, 987S and 997C2, I cant do it again, the car is just too drat small and they dont commute well.

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos
Picking up the panamera today, 6th time, they replaced the gas cap, but pretty sure its gonna flag for an evap leak within a week or two. Spyder going in today for oil and hood struts.

loving dealer added a 2.5% service fee on all transactions, as if they dont gently caress me in the rear end enough as it is. (no theres no god drat indys on this island). Finally got pissed enough to write PCNA about it. We'll see what they say.

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos
So the engine light turned back on 2 blocks from the dealership, back it goes tomorrow.

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

Elite Taco posted:

It's not a real porsche. Doesn't count.

I cant fault your logic, my most problematic porsches have been the 944, cayenne turbo, and the panamera turbo s exec. My boxsters and 911's have never had such issues.

Arione fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Oct 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

Elite Taco posted:

I need new tires for upcoming track events (and street driving lol). I can start to feel the wear nubs on my continental surecontact. My set up is 225/40 ZR18 up front and 265/35/ZR18 in the rear. I've got two more track events this fall and then it's whatever for next year.

NTB says it's harder for them to get continental tires - and I don't have any problem switching to PS4s. I'm assuming I can just proceed with these? Any real reason to look at the PSS?

I'm 98%/2% street/track and this is my daily.

No complaints on the continentals, just looking for input.

PS4S is what ive used since it came out. I got to track them at the 2017 Porsche Parade. They are also amazing for back roads. decent wear life. if you are going to track spend the extra $100 on the N0 version. I get mine from tire rack and have my dealer install them. Contact your dealer first, but they shouldnt have any issue with you drop shipping them directly to them.