Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MortLansky
Dec 17, 2014
1991 C2

Had the PO randomly call me a few days ago asking if I'd sell it back. For a second I thought about being a dick and asking twice what I paid for it, but even that figure isn't high enough to make me want to part with this thing.

And yes, I know it's dirty as hell, I took it to a DE like three days before and didn't have time (or was too lazy) to clean it, so sue me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MortLansky
Dec 17, 2014

Modus Man posted:

Great news, for much, much less than $30,000 you can get a built 500 hp LS and a renegade hybrids conversion kit to replace that junked Porsche motor. It also saves about 200 lbs. I also don't understand how it could ever be worth it to rebuild any 996 motor.

Jesus christ can we finally slow down the whole LS swap bandwagon? Every mechanical vulnerability ever, regardless of make, can be solved by shoving in a pushrod V8 if you went by the way people talk on non-manufacturer specific car forums. The amount of times the suggestion comes up vs. the actual number of people driving around on real-world functioning swaps (in 911s, anyway) must be in massive disparity. Either buy a Porsche and accept what it costs or go get a Corvette or something if you're so concerned about getting eaten by maintenance. Don't drive around in some stupid fake German hillbilly cruise missile with a frankenstein wiring harness that makes engineers cry.

Maybe I'm being hyper sensitive but if you're gonna do an LS swap at least use a 928 or something that kind of actually makes sense instead of hacking up a perfectly good 911.

MortLansky
Dec 17, 2014

blk posted:

Does anyone here watch 997 prices? Are 997.1s still depreciating? 997.2s seem to have held relatively firm.

I would say first gens definitely have depreciated. I've seen fairly nice 05-06's dip into the mid-high 20k range which was pretty much exclusively Cayman territory a year or two ago. Probably because it shares the IMS problems with the 996 cars.

MortLansky
Dec 17, 2014

slidebite posted:

The only reason I could see a 996 more "coveted" than a 997 (and that's generous) is like how Jymmybob stated. Early models (98-99 builds) with mechanical throttle and absolute minimum of electronic controls other than some sort of ABS like any other 80s-90s supercar. If you're going to get an optioned out 996 C4 vs a 997 C4, other than price, I see no advantage to the 6 over the 7. C2? There could be an argument either way.

I don't think I've ever sat in a 991 but I have no doubt it's more comfortable and roomy. Would be sort of a mindfuck if it wasn't considering the 996 style is now 20 years old. That said, there is something about a no frills early 996. Not fancy, not glorious, but still relatively tight, clean, basic and rattle free. In a way, thats kind of is appealing.

Without trying to get too much into the whole subjective argument of which car designs will "age" over the next decade or two better, the trouble with the 996 is strictly where it is in the lineage. The first 911 I ever drove was a base model early 996 and it was the coolest/funnest thing I've ever been in. On it's own it really is a masterpiece of an automobile. But looking back at the 993, and looking forward at the 997, minutiae about the actual driving experience aside, it's just not going to be a high water mark or go up in value all that much (Turbo, GT cars excluded). People are way too nostalgic for the 993 which by all metrics should be an inferior car, and the 997 softened the design and really just out 996'd the 996.

The greatness of the 996 generation is really the other cars that came out of it. Cayennes can be unreliable pieces of poo poo but the ones that work, especially Turbos, can fuckin WORK. The Boxsters/Caymans are loving awesome little sports cars that people are beating up on and racing and often beating 911s. Getting one of those used is way better than getting a dogshit 924 or 944 back in the day.

MortLansky
Dec 17, 2014

willie_dee posted:

Why do you think this out of curiosity? I see the 997 as a sharper, more comfortable and more modern 996, improving on it in every way especially interior wise.

Maybe I misspoke. What I meant is basically what you said, or that from a design point of view the 997 should've been the 996, in that the headlights are more true to form and not a controversial point. Again, for that reason 996's will (probably) be always valued below 997s as they age into collector's cars.

kimbo305 posted:

And on the other end of the 911 market: http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1971-porsche-st-recreation/
Lots of discussion in the comments on how prices for a replica "ought" to be priced, whether the fastidious adherence to period racing build is good in general and good wrt getting FIA historic racing approval.
I think the most succinct comment is "the market has spoken."

Yeah to some people it's pretty mind boggling that these sort of restomod early 911s are eclipsing new 911 Turbo money. It seems like there's such a feeding frenzy for early long hood cars that people are buying old beat up race cars and converting them back to street. And from what I've seen, taking a medium-high mileage car and doing the whole RS/ST/RSR look can pay off investment wise. You gut one of those things, put in some nice vintage Recaros, flared fenders and a trick motor, that's 200k all day long.

MortLansky
Dec 17, 2014

slidebite posted:

Is that an air inlet on the side of the... rear spoiler??

The 911 has a plethora of body kits available, many of them slightly tackier than kits you'll find available for a Cavalier.

It's sort of a throwback to the 993 GT2 racecars in the 90s (see below). A lot of racery 911s have them because it's the biggest fattest wing ever fitted to a factory car. It's still awful on this thing.

Although to be fair, at least the bodykit seems to fit correctly. Bad bodykitted 911s are so common on the cesspool of craigslist, it's almost refreshing seeing one that's not a lovely slantnose conversion on a '77 2.7 or whatever.

In other news, went to the new Porsche Experience Center in LA a few days ago. Did the GT3 experience, which, while expensive, was still loving awesome. I was surprised how much they let you beat on the thing. I whipped that thing around their small but very technical road course and put a couple wheels off more than once and the instructor barely chastised me. Testing launch control a few times, pitching it sideways on a smooth low-friction handling course, and hearing that thing scream at 9000 rpm made it worth the price of admission. Also, I got a 917 t-shirt. Good times.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MortLansky
Dec 17, 2014
Anyone have experience winter-driving a 996? I want to get something I can count on in virtually all conditions but realistically will probably be driven in actual snow maybe 2-3 times a year. I've seen some C4S's in my area that are somewhat affordable and I like the idea of whipping around a 911 in inclement weather. Mostly because I drive my 964 less and less and still want the "911 experience" 12 months a year if I can manage. From what I've seen, the AWD system isn't that great for slippery conditions, and the 997 version is pretty much universally better, but those cars are still a tad too expensive for my taste. Besides that there's the whole thing of getting dedicated wheels and tires, which I don't mind doing, but at that point maybe a RWD Carrera would be fine. I just don't trust it though since there's some gnarly hills in my area and I just KNOW the day will come where there's a light dusting and not having AWD will keep me from going up the hill.