Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
996 GT2 to RX-8?

:wtf::wtf::wtf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I'm considering trading my M4 for a 2015 Cayman S that a local dealer has left over. I think I can get it for 9-10k under MSRP as they're already advertising it at 7k under MSRP and it's the end of the year.

It's reasonably well equipped, sport suspension and power steering plus, and some cosmetics. 6 speed.

Anything I should look out for? I know it won't feel as fast as the M4 but all that power is pretty useless day to day and I want to try a Porsche.

Edit: apparently one can get massive discounts on prior year new Carreras. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm bye bye money

Jealous Cow fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Dec 27, 2015

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Dislike button posted:

Bored with the M, or just don't like it?

I can rarely put my foot down without toasting tires. There's something rewarding about using all the available power, and you just can't with the M4 on the street.

I'm also moving someplace with lots and lots of snow and bad roads so I'm considering getting a more focused sports car and a separate daily, or an S5 with a spare winter setup.

Or the comedy option: a Range Rover and an Alfa 4C

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
That and goons are notorious for coming back and reporting that they went ahead and bought it because they were really nice and the deal was great and they only charged $1k for the underbody coating and got them a loan for only 11.5% APR and they were really nice and seemed trustworthy and the car was so much fun and seemed fine the check engine like went off after a few minutes and the abs light only flashed when accelerating from a stop I'm sure it's fine.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

DrakeriderCa posted:

:toot:

I'm still loving my Porch dreams vicariously through your adventures

Me too.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Far under their initial asking or far under market?

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I’m going to look at this tomorrow. I’m new to Porsche’s. How does this look?

https://cleveland.craigslist.org/ctd/d/1999-porsche-911-carrera-6/6607788443.html

Little curious as to wtf is going on with the intake here:

Is that strap factory?

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Jymmybob posted:

To be fair almost all the 996 intakes are hackjobs using increasingly expensive materials and are bad. That car has been for sale for over a year and probably has something very bad wrong with it since on paper it should be a great high mileage car for that price. It's also possible that it's ok and has a couple minor things that scare people away but I'd for sure have Steinels or someone else good check it out first. If it has anything really significant wrong you could easily hit 2-3k in repairs to bring it into solid condition and at that point you're into sorted, well documented car prices. If you check it out post about it because I've been wondering about that since it first listed since I had just bought my beaten up C2 and kind of wished I bought that one instead.

In related news, someone is buying my 968 finally so I'll be down to just the 996TT next week. I'm going to miss that one but :homebrew:

Interesting that it’s been listed for a year considering the current owner first titled it in OH last July.

It was first sold in FL, sold in AL a year later, again at auction a year later and registered in NY, a year after that it gets titled in CA and that owner had it from 2005 until 2017 when Ohio dude titled it in July.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Jymmybob posted:

The current owner is a small dealer/flipper. He had a couple early 996s for sale over the past year or so but that's the only one that stayed around.

I just realized he's a dealer when I googled his phone number. The text and images in his craigslist ad really imply it's his private car. This feels really scammy...

edit:

The listing has been up since at least April of 2017:

Jealous Cow fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jun 9, 2018

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Trip report on that 1999 996.

First off, here’s the listing for it from the dealer he bought it from in CA. He didn’t buy it from “a California PCA member”

http://www.autoquid.com/car-detail/911/1999-Porsche-911-1999-Porsche-911-Carrera-153225_262798011819.html

Second, he won’t allow a PPI. Nor is he flexible on price.

Third, upon startup it rattled like crazy. When it tried to settle down to the normal idle RPM it stumbled a bit. The check engine light is on.

It was burning a decent amount of oil. There are collapsed cardboard boxes behind it to protect the bumper from the cinder block walls, and they are pretty sooty. I held my hand in the exhaust and it wasn’t so dirty that my hand immediately got sooty, but I could see a slight blue haze and smell burning oil.

The body is fine if you’re just looking for a fun weekend car. Dings here and there. Interior is in good shape. The rubber seals along the Frunk and doors looked new, and there were no missing panels in the frunk.

He’s looking for someone with 15k to blow who just sees “cheap Porsche!”

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
There’s a 914 on BAT at $60k.

Not 20 years ago there were people trying to get rid of their 914s for next to nothing. I know a guy who bought two for $1k bear Seattle.

What the gently caress.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.carsmithmotors.com/used-cars-fremont-ca?page=3

This seems like too good of a deal. I’m going to be in the Bay Area next week and this seems like something I should jump on. I’d be driving it 2000 miles home.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

slidebite posted:

I assume you're talking about the boxster? Seems good.

Yes.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Bajaha posted:

That toggle switch on the center stack by where the shift boot meets it is a little odd, curious what it's for?

Looks nice and it's got the good looking 3 spoke steering wheel. I've heard these can be easy to spoof the mileage on but if it's got a clean carfax and the mileage recorded on the records have no irregularities it's probably a solid car.

If you get it, are you keeping the hard top or going back to just using the soft top?

I’m actually not sure I’m even going to get a Boxster. My budget covers the bottom end of 996s as well as minty S2000s, and I haven’t made up my mind yet.

There’s something appealing about the reliability and ease of working on an S2000, but the 911 is just so sexy. I’m considering a Boxster because I feel like I should, rather than dismiss it out of hand.

I’d probably ditch the hard top because I’d only be driving it on perfect days and it’d be garaged the rest of the time, so I’d like to be able to drop the top easily.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

thechalkoutline posted:

Great descriptions yeah, my only two cents to add: the hydraulic rack on the 986 is a rarity in this day and age and thus a relative communication bonus, and I once saw an S2000 almost lose it just accelerating as a light turned green because it was really wet out. It's a strange feeling to watch someone almost wreck their car coming from a dead stop, saved it tho.

That’s crazy. Bald tires? They have no torque...

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Gonna get a 912 with PLUS1 for a plate.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Found my next daily

https://fredericksburg.craigslist.org/ctd/d/1999-porsche-911-carrera-4/6642778491.html

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.durangomotorcompany.com/used/Porsche/1999-Porsche-911-bcb6a4490a0e0aea36b84b1d73969c91.htm

Is that actually a C4?

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

:thunk:

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I’m going to look at a new 718 Cayman right now.

They also have a Carrera T in stock.

Pray for me brothers. I must have strength.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Bought this: https://www.manhattanmotorcars.com/new/2018-porsche-718_cayman-trim-181956/

Driving it home to Cleveland tonight.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Hit a pot hole on 80W in PA with 118 miles on the car. Punctured the sidewall as it curves into the tread. Lost pressure instantly. I really hope the wheel isn’t bent.

Porsche roadside assistance had no record of my car since I just loving bought it. So that took a while.

So now I’m on the side of the freeway waiting to get a tow to a dealer 400 miles from home hoping they have a tire in stock. Staying at a hotel tonight.

Totally deflated.

If I have to replace the wheel I’m gonna jump off a bridge. I can’t even find a price on them.

If anyone can find it, it’s a front 19” Boxster S wheel.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
The dealer offered the wheel and tire protection at cost too :shepspends:

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
$1400 hahahahahaha

There isn’t a single mark on the wheel so I think I’m ok. The tire was punctured, it didn’t leak out from a bad seal.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I just spent a lot of money so no more purchasing things.

I really need to start getting the wheel and tire protection.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Wheel is bent on the outer edge with no metal scarring. It balances and holds air but is obviously bent in daylight.

The dealer couldn’t get a new advan sport tire until tomorrow so I borrowed a macan and bought a Potenza re04 from Firestone. Back on the road now.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

kimbo305 posted:

So you drive all the way home in the loaner, drive back in it, and drive home in the 718 with new wheel?

No, I drove about 5 mins up the road to a Firestone to buy a tire they had in stock. The dealer couldn’t get anything that would fit until the next day and I didn’t want to spend another night in bum gently caress PA.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Last time I tried to reach out to a NEO goon was in the homeowners thread and he edited out all his posts and disappeared from the forum.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

willroc7 posted:

Lol this guy just moved out of state to dodge us!

I think it’s because I guessed which house was his. He mentioned the town and a very unique feature of the house and I PMed him and said “oh are you on this street?” And boom lol

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I was out of town for a few days. During that time a bird poo poo some gross as gently caress dark bird poo poo on the rear deck just below the glass. It etched the clear coat in a spot about the size of two quarters. My attempt to clean it left a ton of scratches.

Wtf is wrong with Porsche’s black paint? My black BMW sits right next to it and has been through way worse and nothing like this has happened.

Jesus Christ my loving luck with this car is terrible.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I’m having some issues with the paint on my new Cayman.

Where I park during the day has a maple tree near by and those little helicopter seed pods fall into the car. It then rains, so they get wet on the car, then it dries and they blow away, but it leaves behind a mess on the paint that I can’t clean off with usual means (soap and microfiber towel).

I’m having a detailer take a look at it tomorrow, but if this is typical for Porsche paint I don’t know if I can keep this car. The paint literally looks destroyed already. It looks like this everywhere:

It doesn’t just leave spots in the shape of the leafs, it leaves a trail where whatever is in the lead dissolves into the water.

Does this look like a defect with the clear coat? Or do I just need a good coat of wax? Will this require polishing into the clear coat to fix?

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
The car rolled off the assembly line less than 6 months ago. If it’s been resprayed I’ll have some tough questions for the dealer that sold it to me new.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
That’s the plan. It’s getting stage 2 all over with stage 3 in a few spots today. Will get the ceramic coating in a week or two. It’s going into the garage today.

Edit:

After several attempts with buffing and polishing by a professional:

I’m going to go to the dealership. This isn’t normal.

Jealous Cow fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Aug 10, 2018

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Seminal Flu posted:

Any updates on this? What'd the dealer say?

Dealer said it's "acid rain" and will happen if the car is left with rain water on it for any length of time.

I asked why all their cars that sit outdoors on the lot for weeks at a time are free of these blemishes. No response. I asked why my other black car does not have the same issue. No response.

The service guy offered a free wet sanding of the affected area but said I'd need to show the service manager if I wanted to claim a defect with the paint.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do next. I haven't driven the car much because I think I'm afraid of further damaging the paint. I'll probably do a ceramic coating to try to avoid any further damage to the paint. It's hard to see in the photos, but when you catch the light right you can see big blotches in the shape of pooled water that look deep in the paint.

I'm very disappointed and it kind of turns me off on Porsche as a brand.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I enjoy driving my 718 so much that I kind of want to trade it in for a Carrera 4 and drive it year round. Our roads are too bad and we get too much snow here to just put snow tires on the 718, I think.

It’s a base Cayman with prem and the usual “dealer lot” options. Sticker was about 64k, has 1200 miles, 2018 produced in January I think.

What would it be worth at this point? I don’t trust KBB for such a low production car with so few used comps.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
May 718 is going to be parked in an unheated garage for the winter. It’ll probably be in the 20s F or colder for extended periods of time. Anything I should do other than a battery tender? Will the tires be on left mounted at pressure at those temps?

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Is this amount of condensation inside the headlights normal? 2018 Cayman, 1200 miles. Garaged.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
The S is coming out before the base.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I kind of want a Cayenne Turbo, but they’re still too pricey to accept keeping a constant $5k catastrophic repair budget handy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

kimbo305 posted:

Is this real?:

Never heard of it before.

I’ve also never heard of it. There’s an entire cottage industry around various types of patented IMS fixes. It seems like something like this would also come up in those circles.