Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
I've got a 2007 987.2. It's got wheels. Yaay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Arione posted:

the 987.2 didnt come out until 2009-2012. 05-08 is the 987.1

Thanks to working 28 hours between Monday and Tuesday, and making that post on about 3.5 hours of sleep. You knew what I meant, though. I have a Cayman. It is yellow. It has a half-dozen problems, half of which are due to Porsche engineering cars to last 5 years and half of which are due to me driving it like racecar. It is decently quick in a straight line and very quick in corners, and a bit boring to drive anywhere except on a track.

The Prong Song fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Mar 11, 2015

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Arione posted:

oh a 987C ? 5 years? something like 80% of cars ever made are still on the road. Sure that gen has an IMS issue but its easily fixable when you do the clutch. I recommend the direct oil feed option. As it turns out the ones driven like race cars have the least problems. Whats the issues with your car?

I'm talking about incidents like the door handles snapping due to heat fatigue after 6 years, door card seals rotting away after 6 years, dash upholstery fading out after 5 years, stretched shifter cables after 6 years, gas cap retaining leash snapping after 5 years, power steering pump failure, and general non-durability of items not critical to "this car moves". The IMS seal issue, and Porsche's non-acknowledgement of it, is an entire other issue on its own, and one I haven't run into, happily. The engine itself has been worry-free other than the occasional belch of smoke on startup.

EDIT: Oh, yeah, and the rubberized coating on the radio and climate control switches coming off like a strippers' clothes at a bachelor party.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Arione posted:

Wow, I have not had those issues. I also keep it under cover when a garage is not available. Shifter cables are a known issue, get the full metal racing ones, they never break. I swapped the gas cap when i bought it for the aluminum one. Never heard about handles snapping or interior fading. Did you tint the windows? smoke at startup is due to oil left from short drives and is perfectly normal. I have 58k miles on mine

I did not tint the windows, and I just passed 70,800 on mine. It has some lightweight aftermarket wheels, sticky-ish all-seasons since I moved to NC, and track-day/street dual-purpose pads.

My point is that, for a car that was originally in excess of $60K (sticker on mine was something like $68K with the options) I should not have problems like this. My Miata and 200SX were way more reliable. (although I will admit I had almost as many issues with the '02 M Coupe I owned, and those were major mechanical issues).

I'm probably going to sell it in the late spring or summer and get something with more seats, practicality, and hopefully a bit more excitement. Don't get me wrong, it's a beautiful car for going fast, but I find it almost completely boring unless I'm at 8/10ths or above.

Oh, I'll also complain about the paint. Aside from the obvious (quite bad) fading of the Speed Yellow color, it takes chips like nothing I've owned before. I guess the response could be "That's what you get for daily driving it!" but that's what a car is for, in my mind, unless it's a specialized vehicle.

The Prong Song fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Mar 12, 2015

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Arione posted:

question now is do I go fabspeed,n/a intake and exhaust or TPC racing turbo?

I can tell you from personal experience the guys at TPC are douches. If that factors into your decision at all.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Motronic posted:

Whenever I see this on a keyboard it's someone who obsessively uses hand cream. Whatever poo poo is in there likes to eat off the paint most manufacturers use on plastic parts.

It actually started happening to my vehicle when I cleaned the interior with some harsh poo poo. The rubberized coating just sloughed right off the plastic underneath.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
I drove 1843 miles this weekend to go get a CPO Cayenne S eHybrid to replace my 135is as a dual-duty DD and race car hauler. Really good price on a very cheaply priced, well-optioned one in a great (rare-ish) color which I love. Got home at the end of the trip, go to unload my bag from the rear and realize the plate is hanging to one side; the selling dealership ripped out the plate mounting plug from the rear hatch as they were prepping it for me to drive off.

Now I get to enjoy fighting dealing with a dealership over 800 miles away as they try to get away with not repairing the body damage to the car they just sold.

On the flip side, my commute to and from work can be done in electric-only mode all week on a single charge, without the wear and tear the engine would get from never warming up on a 1.7 mile commute.

The Prong Song fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jan 13, 2020

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Minnesota Mixup posted:

Hoffman estates in Illinois? Also hope they make that right for you as that really sucks.

Motor Werks in Barrington. No idea why they placed a Hoffman Estates license plate surround on the car. I'm getting a referral from my local dealership to a body shop. MW went overnight from "Oh that just looks like you need a new mounting plug" to "that's going to be several hundred dollars to repair, get it done and we'll cut you a check". Good on them for not trying to make this hard.

The Prong Song fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jan 14, 2020

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Residency Evil posted:

Oh man. Oh man. And that green. :ohdear:

I told myself if a new 6 cylinder cayman came out I’d consider buying my first new car in order to do European delivery and get it exactly how I wanted it. I’m tempted to get back in to a car that’s more practical for the northeast.

This is the last generation of ICE Cayman. If not now...never?

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Residency Evil posted:

Yeah that one that just sold... :ohdear: giving me second thoughts about even considering a new car.

It's almost as if cars aren't good investments.

Cars aren't investments. Unless you're in the seven-figure range.

EDIT: vvvv It's almost like I was playing the straight man. What's a car-comedy forum, maaaaan?

The Prong Song fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jan 21, 2020

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Anti-Hero posted:

Are there any Macan or Cayenne owners here that DON’T garage them? I’m having a hard time pulling the trigger on a Macan S because I live in a place with real winters and don’t have any covered parking. I do have my own driveway and own my house.

It just feels dirty spending so much on a car and not being able to shelter it.

Edit: just to clarify I’m soliciting all thoughts on the subject, even if you garage the car.

?? My race car and equipment stays in the garage, the Cayenne is in the driveway. It's just a car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

IOwnCalculus posted:

30 times a year but mostly by just one guy.

Hey Chuck, you here for service or need the pickup again?

EDIT: Can I interest you in a 2020 911 Cab?