Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Today, started replacing the bad alternator on the '05 Cayenne I just acquired.

I had no idea that German engineers were insane enough to water-cool an alternator, but here we are, with a broken plastic hose flange that will cost $52 to replace from a Porsche dealer in Atlanta.

It starts.

:homebrew:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

And now, as I beaver away on solving the airbag light on the '05 Cayenne (probably the TSB about a bad / corroded jones plug under the seat), I hit the gas and it felt like the transfer case was eating itself.

Spent a wonderful Sunday learning all about the Cardone driveshaft, featuring the weak center-link insulator!

another $400 after the $100 oil change! Yay! :homebrew:

Still have zero lights on the transfer case switch which is the other error light. Bad potentiometer? Corroded contacts? Who TF knows?

e: I'll probably order the servo unit off of Amazon in case it isn't just dirty contacts. $245.00

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jul 18, 2023

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

What are the odds?

Just did the center link this morning, using the JXB kit. It took less than an hour, and most of that was spent shaving rubber off of the driveshaft. Use brand-new razor blades in a decent scraper. You do not need to free the rear wheels, the center-link is on its own bearing.

Kit comes with a bracket. You can use your old one.

Rubber removal was fairly straightforward, as most had already left the building.

https://i.imgur.com/GN1ojMH.mp4

Pretty sure this was the factory original, with 164K on it.

Cutter got it off in under a minute

shaving it down took about ten minutes

https://i.imgur.com/TG37QD4.mp4

Bolted straight up. Very well-made, very tight machining tolerances.

and fin.

Had the bearing been bad, I would have tried to return the kit (which was $350) and bought a reman driveshaft assembly (~$500 shipped). I thought I'd have to remove the dual exhaust system. As it turns out, the V6 has a single exhaust, & replacing the cardan unit would have been pretty simple (if I could free the connection to the rear diff, that is).

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jul 21, 2023

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Motronic posted:

The kit is really nicely made, but expensive for what it is. It's not priced for what it costs to produce, it's priced just lower than the next cheapest alternative.

Yep. Another bill & a half & I'd have the whole driveshaft assembly.

I used the rattlegun straightaway. Not loving with those bolts. So of course, they all came straight out no problem.

Which leads me to believe that if you just set-up the impact wrench & lay it near the workpiece, it'll cooperate out of fear. Mostly.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Elite Taco posted:

You'll need a breaker bar for this job.

I've nearly got the hub out of the car. For some reason the ball joint on the bottom of the hub doesn't want to come out and give me clearance. Haven't gotten to the point where I'm working to get driveshaft out of the hub. I bought this tool set - so hopefully I can do the pressing myself:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/175476945906

I have the Harbor Freight version, works fine, especially if you have a big fuckoff bench-mounted vise to fix your workpiece.
Even with a vise, you'll be rowing like a galley slave, so wear padded gloves if you ain't already.

I have one of my son's '01 Accord hubs set up to the right.

VVV that little ball-joint separator tool is THE poo poo. VVV

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Aug 13, 2023

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Well done, sir

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I'm mounting the Dension kit in my '05 Cayenne. Have to get tuner cleaner on the volume pot as it doesn't work.

Hopefully, i'll have an Mp3 and BT input.

If it gives me any grief: yours looks like a good unit. Does it work with the steering controls?

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Aug 22, 2023

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Motronic posted:

Great way to get people to effortpost for you when you call slidbites direct, specific and informative reply to you "generic".

I think what he meant was: Is there a specific ticking time bomb for this car? Because that kind of thing makes a car cheap in the used market.

Glass transmission, unicorn parts (like Rolls-Royce's $1800 alternator), etc.

Reminds me of the creative use of 'biodegradeable' insulation on wiring in 90s Mercedes Benzes.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

For what it's worth, you can see a recurring theme here.

I bought an 18-YO 955 because there is nothing I won't take a stab at fixing, I'm a bit nuts like that. Also it was a 1-owner, older-woman-driven car with everything documented from the window sticker on. Even so I'm still $2500 into it beyond what I paid for it. They are certainly not an investment, but I sense that's not your intent anyway.

Just go into it expecting to both have a ton of fun driving it, and that if you get 2-years without something colorfully exploding, you are way ahead of the game.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Coincident with the thread title: the guy I bought my 955 from bought two at an estate sale.

He can clearly afford it now that I bought the one from him

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Aug 29, 2023

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Two things:

1) My buddy wants to unload the Bose audio in his '06 Cayenne Turbo. To that end, he has designed a black box that he's hoping will permit this. He is an IT tech, and he has a firm grasp on why it doesn't swap out, and made a chip. He just got his chip order back last week, and he's fabbing up an interface. I will keep you posted.

2) My '05 Cayenne V6 wasn't sending wiper fluid to the back window. Today, while checking the tubes at the washer pump & finding no problem, I found washer fluid pooling on the front passenger footwell when I triggered the rear washer.

After some digging & disassembly I found a spot at the A-pillar, just above the level of the dashboard, where the hose that travels up the A-pillar is joined to the hose rising from the reservoir by a hard fitting - which was disconnected. The connectors weren't broken or anything. I snapped them together, and hit the washer again.

And this is where it gets weird: it wasn't leaking at the connection at all - but then it started raining down from the ceiling at the back of the cargo area.

Removing the rear ceiling panel aft of the headliner revealed another hard-line connection, also disconnected.

Snapped them together, and now I have a functioning rear washer.

Now, I was prepared for there to be a plastic fatigue issue with this connector - even though they snapped together with some authority. But two? Pressure might part one, but it can't part two.

The PO was the first owner - the wife of a dentist, who was in her 60s when she purchased it new. I have the window sticker, and all of the records. Car was never in an accident, and there is no sign that either of these areas were ever opened before. There was light rust on the unpainted bulkhead end at the firewall, but no issue with the fuse bank, which is right under it.

My guess is that this was not connected at the factory, and that she may never have used it, or rarely tried - and didn't care enough to get it fixed if it didn't work. It could also be some kind of malice, though I can't really imagine such a scenario.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Shop might be able to patch that from the inside. Is it leaking?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

The guy that sold me my Cayenne has a turbo Panamera that he's selling to make room for his turbo Cayenne. He loves it; just wanted a Cayenne more.

He's also been through the punch list and fixed it's illnesses and sins.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Safety Dance posted:

Speaking of which, is there a cheap, relatively decent source for bumper covers for my 06 Cayenne Turbo, or should I go to the dealer with my firstborn?

Dealer or salvage yard. My buddy has the exact same vehicle & he just found one 100-miles away with a decent cover.

My '05 needed the lower valance, scored it for $200. It's navy blue; I didn't care because the old one was about ready to drag on the ground.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

That. Is. Sweet.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

The ride on my '05 (V6, no air ride) Cayenne is extremely harsh in anything but highways.

It has 160K on it and I doubt that any of the struts have been replaced.

I have been hesitant to swap 'em out because my experience has shown that new struts tend to be harsher, but that's not what I'm hearing about these guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

"Tuning Up The Old Porsche"