Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Battlegoat
Jul 24, 2003

Nap Ghost
2006 997.1 C2S

After replacing the "lobster forks."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Battlegoat
Jul 24, 2003

Nap Ghost
My 2006 has the same issue. The fan switch was already well worn when I bought it with 45k miles.

Battlegoat
Jul 24, 2003

Nap Ghost

The Wonder Weapon posted:

I just bought an 08 Cayman with 30k miles (picking it up this weekend) and a co-worker started telling me about the IMS bearing issue. I had seen mention of it while researching the car but I didn't realize how catastrophic of a failure it was until he explained it a bit.

What should I do? Are there reliable preventive measures? Am I 100% rolling the die on this? Is it so bad that I should cancel the purchase?
The IMS issue is there, but the design was updated in '06 and is a much less common failure on cars of that year or newer.

I wouldn't worry about it, but there is a retrofit if you are so inclined: http://imsretrofit.com/my06-08/

Battlegoat
Jul 24, 2003

Nap Ghost

willie_dee posted:

And you put them on hard mode on the better roads?

As someone who used to have a 997.1 with PASM and now has a 997.2 with Sport PASM: there might be a road smooth enough somewhere for hard mode to be good, but I haven't driven on it.

Battlegoat
Jul 24, 2003

Nap Ghost

Gorgar posted:

I turn on sport mode, including PASM, when I start the car and hardly ever turn it off.

Either I am getting old and soft (probably) or you have much better roads where you live. It's really going to come down to that/personal preference, I think.

Battlegoat
Jul 24, 2003

Nap Ghost

Larrymer posted:

What the hell, where is the engine? They put some paneling over it in the trunk?

wallaka posted:

It's a mid-engine car, the engine is in the middle.

To illustrate:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Battlegoat
Jul 24, 2003

Nap Ghost
https://arstechnica.com/cars/2017/03/the-porsche-cayman-gt4-with-the-magic-carpet-ride/
(written by our own drgitlin)

So, I posted before here about how my C2S with Sport PASM was too rough in the "hard" setting. I actually picked up and installed one of those DSC Sport modules a couple weeks ago, and it has just about transformed the car. I don't know how or why Porsche left so much on the table with the suspension tuning, but somehow it both rides and handles better now.