Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

The 996/fried eggs are starting to grow on me, but the lights are really make or break - the ambers look bad and while cloudy, yellowed lights ruin any car it's especially true on the 996. Also buy that 911

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Yes but iTs NoT aN oRiGiNaL PoRschE aNyMorE

god I hate BaT people but I guess it's good for deals that the collector/speculator types don't want

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

That pic is a 991.1 (that the hood slats are horizontal, where 991.2s are vertical is the easiest tell). All 991's will basically look like that. The 2nd pic is a 997. 991s started in the later months of 2012. Targas might be later but 2013+ should filter out the 997s. You can nerd out on all this on the "991 911" wiki page.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

US configurator for GTS 4.0 is up https://www.porsche.com/usa/models/718/718-gts-4-0-models/ not that I can justify buying one :smith:

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Residency Evil posted:

https://www.porsche.com/microsite/porsche-code/default.aspx?c=/PM57BIR6

Ooof, 100 thousand American dollars.

A used GT4 is looking pretty good in comparison.

Hello gold wheels european delivery fren http://www.porsche-code.com/PM96RXB2

Man they really kick your rear end on the deviated stitching stuff.

I kinda see the GTS as the equivalent of the GT3 touring pkg version of the GT4, no stupid wing and although the gt3 touring isn't detuned (I don't think?) I'd want it a little softer to drive every day.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

C&D said euro market only, US stuck with the GTS.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

I thought my "reasonable dream car" was gonna be a 997/991 C2 for ~40k a few years ago, who knows if that'll ever happen again. Seems like the entire generations of basic NA porches got sucked out of depreciation land into an inflation/supply chain driven squeeze, and now are gonna catch an updraft into collector nostalgia territory in the turbo and ev era.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

The 991 carrera T was interesting but not for the reasons porsche marketing said. No one is going to notice it weighs 30lbs or whatever less and it’s not a mini gt car. But, it has the base engine, which apparently is more revvy/fun of the turbo era, manual (the 991 had a closer ratio trans, not sure about this one but previously manual was not even available on base 992), LSD (again not avail on base), and a couple little goodies and differentiated interior options. It would be stupid not to get rear seats in these, no one is going to notice the weight loss and it makes the car more usable which is the whole 911 thing anyway.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Deletion of Model Designation on Rear means ditching the “Cayman GTS 4.0” sticker on the back bumper.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

991 was actually lighter than the 997. The answer is always the current generation or maybe the previous is when it all went downhill.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Hadlock posted:

Like, why is the 996 cheaper than a late model Miata?
The headlights are wrong for most people and it’s from the cost cut era, doesn’t have “charm” like an air cooled and subsequent water cooled models just got better objectively.

”Hadlock” posted:

Is $1800 at all reasonable or is that completely wrong. Assume no track days

No one can answer this without a specific car description along with its maintenance history and a PPI report

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Miami blue looks sooooo good in person

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

I honestly don’t think porsche are deliberately underproducing. I mean that is laughable on its face obviously. But they make as many as they can, the sports cars have their own line that Im sure is maxed out and they can’t just trade a cayenne for an extra 911 on next Tuesday or whatever. And they need to be careful about overall production because if the market shifts and they can’t make enough suvs, they’ll be back to the 90s when they almost went under. And they have overall production emissions standards to meet. If anything the speculation market annoys them, which is why they keep coming out with slightly tweaked versions of special cars that cost a stupid premium (and sure, make a bit of cash of course).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

I thought they all specd those cars for golf bags, to the point of putting "how to load X sets of golf bags" placards on. You would think with the back seats folded a 911 would have way more room than a cayman due to the way the rear hatch is kinda shallow.