Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

ColHannibal posted:

By 2006 has this problem on the fan controller, I think it stems from the paint being a rubberized finish on a smooth plastic part.

My similar vintage Audi has the same problem and likely shares the same superior german soft touch plastics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

fknlo posted:

It's not just people on Rennlist huffing their own farts. Look at Autotrader and you'll find plenty of 50+ thousand mile cars that aren't anything special listed at $50k+. I think people are trying to force prices up, but I'd say the majority of those cars have been listed since I started looking.

Worse is that there's apparantly a sizeable amount of people buying old Porsche's as "investment" cars. Basically fixing them and locking them away.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

Jack Baruth weighed in on the Singer phenomenon:
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2015/11/no-fixed-abode-singer-song-sixpence/

I mostly feel the same way, but he really took it too far with the 2-Porsche ownership appeal to authority. I kinda made me want to buy two just to comment.
There was a mix of opinions in the chat thread about what if any obligations an owner has to the perceived car enthusiast community over a car.

The problem with the "these cars are thin on the ground you need to restore them to original" attitude is that it's a slippery slope that leads to a lot of cars perpetually on a trailer or under a sheet. When I was restoring my 66' Yamaha I went to some vintage meets and that attitude was creeping in fast. Some were aghast that I was mixing and matching period parts, and others that I was even riding it. That type of thinking brings in people who treat lovely old vehicles like a Lego Star Destroyer; A thing to be built and displayed, but never touched. They're not car people they're museum curators.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Bajaha posted:

On that note, the 09 911 Carrera 4s cabrio we had for the wedding flipped out for a few mins and gave warnings for indicator bulbs out and I don't remember what else. Few minutes later it was all fine and dandy. I'm assuming this was just the usual VAG gremlins, or was there actually something wrong with it?

My Audi randomly turns on the windshield wipers on their own for just one swipe every couple of months, and occasionally will sit flashing all its hazard lights after I try to unlock it, which goes away if I hit the unlock button again. If I turn on the car after this happens the power steering warning light will be on for a minute or two. This and other gremlins were really concerning initially but it's been almost 3 years now and I've accepted them as just a part of VAG ownership.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

The bag is full of tools and that man is trying to figure out if he can fix it without dropping the engine

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

slidebite posted:

Crappy Tire has premix VW/Audi/Porsche for $20.00 for 3.78L. I'll probably just try that stuff if I need to top-up.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/oem-vehicle-specific-coolant-volkswagon-audi-pre-mixed-0293085p.html

I use this on my Audi and, at least colour wise, it seems virtually identical to the magic pink coolant it came with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

slidebite posted:

Thanks for the reply on that good to know. I was toying with draining the entire system but I don't think I'll bother at all now and just top it up for sure.

I haven't had any ill effects over three years but the 2.0L TFSI isn't known for coolant issues, only it's unending hunger for cam followers and chain tensioners.