Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat

fknlo posted:

What is is about Porsche engines that makes them so expensive to rebuild? Are the parts a lot more expensive or is the labor generally a huge chunk of that? I know even the NA ones are in the $20k range when poo poo goes bad.

Gonna talk to my credit union at work today to see what they can do for me so that if I do find something I like I can jump. I also need to try and find a couple local to drive before I decide that I really want one. I don't think the prices on them are really gonna go much lower than they are now, and I don't think they'll go completely nuts like air cooled prices, but who the hell knows.

Great news, for much, much less than $30,000 you can get a built 500 hp LS and a renegade hybrids conversion kit to replace that junked Porsche motor. It also saves about 200 lbs. I also don't understand how it could ever be worth it to rebuild any 996 motor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat

fknlo posted:

Were 95% of the 996TT's sold silver? Because they're all loving silver.

One Of my saved searches on cars.com is for 996 TT manual, non-convertible. I'd say 95% silver is fair. A gold one showed up locally for $25k and was gone before I could think about it. I think what I like most about the 996 is that Porsche snobs don't like them. That, and it is a metric gently caress-ton of sports car for around 30k.

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat

Jymmybob posted:

996TT hunt complete, just did a thing http://www.ebay.com/itm/172411960039

That's awesome, 650hp in that has to be pants-making GBS threads fast, and those RUF wheels look just right on there. I'm very jealous.

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat

Bajaha posted:

Out with the old, in with the new(ish)

CPO 2015 Diesel (Dealer pic)

They didn't want to take mine as a trade-in for a hitch so I threw it on Kijiji and within two hours it was sold :byewhore: and it ended up being a better deal than trading in would have been.

Apparently the secret to selling a cheap car is posting it on a Saturday morning.

Are they still offering killer extended warranties on the diesels still? I had heard that somewhere and never could find a defenitive answer.

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat

willroc7 posted:

I really love this color but I don't think I can justify the price.

https://baltimore.craigslist.org/cto/d/abingdon-2001-porsche-911-carrera-k/7201278966.html

Holding out for the dream mid-teens priced, well-kept, high-ish mileage 996.

That’s a fantastic color combo for a 996. The price of that car reflects that it has low miles and has apparently been well-maintained, and a proper ims fix. If the seller would take a reasonable offer closer to 20k I would say that’s a great price for what you’re getting. Even at that asking price you would be getting your money’s worth. I wish I was done building my house and had this house sold, I’d be really tempted to jump on that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat

Voltage posted:

Just to throw in a differing opinion - I found the Macan S to be quite boring - it just feels like VAG took a rav4/crv and threw in an incredibly nice interior and gave it more (but still uninspiring feeling) power. I’m not sure what all the journalists were on about when they said it felt like a rally car - I didn’t get that at all.

I’m sure it’s a fine DD - but don’t expect it to feel anything like an actual sports car. Maybe the GTS and Turbo are a different story, but I walked away from the test drive sadly underwhelmed.

Does the Macan have options that would make it behave better, like sport chrono or pasm, like in the 911/cayman? I’m sure any journalist driven macan would have all the bells and whistles even if it was just a base model and not necessarily the gts or turbo.