Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
I'm going to look at (and probably buy) a 99 Boxster this morning. Will report back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

McMadCow posted:

I'm going to look at (and probably buy) a 99 Boxster this morning. Will report back.

I'm a man of my word. :colbert:

'99 2.5 with 92K on the clock. It's pretty much the best condition car I came across, and all the maintenance is up to the minute, including the retrofitted IMS.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

blk posted:

Is that your 924/944 in the garage?

If you've driven a Miata before I'd be interested in a Boxster comparo.

No, the 944 belongs to an acquaintance of ours in the next garage. It's a pretty nice street/track car.

I've driven a Miata once like 10 years ago, and not in anger. I'm not really used to the Boxster yet so I wouldn't be able to tell anyway. I flogged it a bit up a mountain road last night, but I haven't taken it out to a parking lot to find out the grip levels and the balance.

Arione posted:

how much was it? Just helped one of my guys pick up a 00' base out in hawaii for $7k with 62k on the clock

drat that's a good deal. Mine was 7.5K. I'm not upset though, mine is in super good shape.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

Mat_Drinks posted:

I thought the Boxsters didn't suffer from the IMS/RMS issues?

The early ones with the double row IMS bearing have very few failures but it still happens. Once they went to the singe row in around 2000-1 the failures became a big problem. It's still a good thing for peace of mind to retrofit or at least replace the bearing in the older cars.

But yeah, 2001-2006 Boxsters were part of the class action lawsuit over grenading engines. I think they had a failure rate just as high as 911s.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Indeed they do, just as much as the 911. March 28 2014 my friends 2003 Boxster S blew up thanks to the IMS bearing disintegrating. That car had been completely babied from new, only serviced at Porsche at basically half the recommended intervals since she didn't drive it during winter.

That's pretty much completely in line with what I've heard about the IMS issue... that because of the nature of the design flaw, cars that are babied and/or driven rarely are actually MORE prone to failure. That's because the disintegrating bearing is caused by oil that penetrates the seal and goes rancid. Cars that are flogged and undergo regular oil intervals as a result don't let the bad oil build up against the seal.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

The joke in the BMW thread is about "Superior German Adhesives", but I just debadged the broken script on my Boxster last night and it took me HOURS. The adhesive foam underneath the letters had to be soaked and scraped again and again and even after taking a clay bar and rubbing compound to the area the faintest outline remains. Well done Porsche on securing the letters until the end of time, but try making the letters themselves a bit more durable...

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

thechalkoutline posted:

That's a good analogy. I was referring specifically to stories I've heard of people taking a used purchase in and having upgraded IMS bearings put in before any issues occurred. I was just curious how much longer the improved bearings lasted, I assumed much longer otherwise why go through the prohibitive cost of replacing it in the first place...?

From what I understand, the LN Engineering bearing isn't sealed and it uses engine oil for lubrication. So it actually uses the design flaw to perform its function and completely bypasses the issue of keeping the OEM sealed bearing clean. Plus it uses these crazy ceramic bearings so my guess is it lasts quite a bit longer. Even though my engine has a replaced bearing, I'll probably do the LN piece with my next clutch job (which is hopefully about 3 years from now).

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

Admirable Gusto posted:

TLDR: good things to do are frequent oil changes, high RPM driving (when the engine is warm), using oils with moly additives (e.g. Liqui Moly 5w40)

I've owned mine for two days and I've already banged it against the limiter on a mountain run. I'm gonna be a good owner. :3:

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

I just did a de-snorkel on the Boxster and put in a K&N air filter. The intake noise is amazing now, even without loading. Best $50 upgrade ever.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

...with a complete DME report to show overrevs prior to purchase...

Why is this? Do you mean in the case of money shifts? I've owned my Boxster for a little less than two weeks but I've already run it up to the limiter. Is it somehow a bad thing to do that or are we talking some sort of action that causes the engine to rev beyond the computer limit?

I ask because I was under the impression that hard revving was one of the ways to stave off IMS issues.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

fknlo posted:

Not gonna lie, when detailed right, silver does not look bad on them. It's just soooooo common.

When I was looking for my 986, my only set-in-stone color choice was "not silver". Way too common, as you say, and not particularly interesting on it even if it wasn't the model's signature color.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

4-1/2 years later and my Boxster is up for sale in the Bay Area. :(
Up-to-date on nearly everything, the car has been well-taken care of but also worked like the sports car it is (lots of AutoX with the local PCA). Needs a new rear glass sewn in and I don't want to DIY that so the price reflects that at $4.5K. I could probably do a little better if a Goon or a friend-of-Goon was interested.
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/d/oakland-1999-porsche-boxster-forest/6979605007.html

EDIT:

McMadCow fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Sep 18, 2019

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

meatpimp posted:

Hold on to it until August. I'll be in Oakland and drive it back to Ohio.

You mean as in next August because this August just ended 17 days ago? Sadly, I can't do that because just like every other person in the Bay Area with a career in the Arts, I'm leaving. The car has to go before then. :(

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

Russian Bear posted:

Dang that's tempting. Also, quite the knob you got there.

It's called the "Billy Club". It's delrin and it's AWESOME.
The Boxster's shifter pulls two cables, which lets you micro-adjust the position of the gate. I have mine pulled over to the left. Between that and the bigass shifter, I can get off the wheel and shift at a super close distance. I did a custom shifter like that on my old '74 BMW 2002 as well. I like a tall, close shift! v:shobon:v

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

meatpimp posted:

That's too bad. I'm in the market for something exactly like that. I could tap on family to keep it in their driveway for a year, but that's a big ask. :(

As much as I'd love love love to sell it to an AI Goon, letting an M96 engine sit for a year is like inviting an IMS failure. Even though mine is the "safe" engine with the double row bearing.
You'd want to do a clutch/IMS job the moment you got there next August.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

Voltage posted:

If you still have it in December I'll be in Oakland for work, would be a fun trip back to NY

It certainly would be exciting to drive cross country in December in a mid-engine RWD sports car with summer tires! ALL SALES FINAL! :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

Well, the Boxster sold. First person who saw it, actually. Bah, mixed feelings here. Hold me, Goons. :(