Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

655321 posted:

I was only a couple years old at the time in 1985 and I had always lived with my dad and traveled everywhere with him. He had been a Porsche guy since his first 356C in the 60s and was never without one since that car. He decided to upgrade and I'm not exactly sure how he did it, but we flew to Houston and got picked up at the airport by a dude who seemed to know my dad. He took us to a warehouse and inside there were a few Porsches, including a hot pink Gemballa that was ugly as hell. Back in the back he pulled off a car cover to reveal the black 930 Turbo, just arrived from Germany the day before. My dad paid the man in cash and we took off and drove back to Phoenix and during that drive was the only time it has rained on that car in its entire ownership. My dad took care of that thing meticulously and I learned to drive in it, and eventually we did a few things like upgrade the headers and the exhaust, turbo and fuel system, and the intercooler. I bought it from him years back when he was talking about upgrading but he still hasn't because the new cars just aren't the same.

So I guess not an amazing story but I always thought it was fun.

:stare:

Wow. It's a beautiful car and a great story, too. I'm super jealous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
All of you guys getting handed Porsches from your parents are driving me crazy :(

I doubt I'll be able to one within the next 25+ yrs, but I come in here just to dream

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

thechalkoutline posted:

I bought an 08 Cayman S for 38k after tax, that's like optioned Camry money

LIVE THE DREAM you can do it

buy the camry

There's an 02 on kijiji for like $30k right now plz stop tempting me

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

BabyArm posted:

Gracias! It's a '69 912. Numbers matching car. She's actually more of a driver paint-wise than the overly dramatic night time garage pic shows.

Bought it from a guy out in SoCal a few years back. Unfortunately, I don't know much else as the car didn't have any records prior to his ownership.

I am super super jealous. Your car is beautiful and I had just started looking at 912's this week. I would absolutely love an Irish Green 912. They're so beautiful in every way.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

BabyArm posted:

If you haven't done so already, jump in to the 912 Registry site and look around. Some really good cars to be found in the "for sale" section.

http://www.912bbs.org/vb/forumdisplay.php?20-912s-For-Sale

You looking for a project or a well-sorted car?

Thanks for this. I'm sure I'll be divorced shortly and then I can finally get a 912. :unsmith:

But as much as I'd absolutely love one I really can't do it right now. The wife isn't open to fun cars until we have more garage space and money.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
https://www.facebook.com/slammedenuff/videos/915542518494723/

lol boxsterowners.mpeg

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Modus Man posted:

Great news, for much, much less than $30,000 you can get a built 500 hp LS and a renegade hybrids conversion kit to replace that junked Porsche motor. It also saves about 200 lbs. I also don't understand how it could ever be worth it to rebuild any 996 motor.

I wish I had $25k right now. There's a 996 and a Boxster near me that are cheap because of needed repairs. It would be awesome to LS swap either of them. Mostly the Boxster though. Mid engine LS Porsche. :getin:

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
Please save that car from its owner. :ohdear: At least it sounds like it's maintained.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
:stare:

Whooooaaaaa

It's jumped the shark and I actually kind of like it. Without the banner I'd like it even more.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

fknlo posted:

Definitely not the best combo. It wasn't terrible or anything.

Just saw my first GT4. God drat. It's a sign. That I need a GT4.

There's one on Kijiji in my neck of the woods that has caused extensive self-flagellation

Also painful: the Cayman R's being sold at awesome prices so people can pay for their GT4's :smith:

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

fknlo posted:

I forgot about the Cayman R. I'd rock one of those at the right price. None anywhere near here though.

Rennlist + one-way plane ticket = :getin:

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

I came for the GT4, I stayed for the Rennlist slapfight

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Dave Inc. posted:

Cross-posting from "What did you do to your ride today" because Porsche.

Angry air-cooled flat six with new headers and such.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhWPfONFbnk

JESUS

That sounds awesome.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
The best Porsche colour is def Ultraviolet

If you can't appreciate this, you're dead inside

For 996's my favourite colour is still their Blue

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
I also have to pay respect to Irish Green, my favourite air cooled colour. :allears:

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

various cheeses posted:

Got the last 2016 Cayman allocation at my dealer. I've wanted one of these cars since they started making them and now... now I'll have one. Well, in like 5-6 months I will. :henget:

:toot:

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
If there's no receipt for the work, I'd never consider it done. Discount the asking price by the cost of the IMS replacement and get dat porch :toot:

That's the best deal I've seen on a 911 in AB for awhile now, so if he'll deal on the IMS issue I'd do it for sure

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
Too bad. I can't remember the numbers on the IMS failure, but it was high enough that I'd definitely be concerned, and if they were already doing the trans I'd be choked that they didn't do the IMS as well.

That coupe is a pretty solid looking 996. I'd agree with you that coupe > cab.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

slidebite posted:

Big work day on the 911. Biggest shockers were (in no particular order)

Needing a 3' breaker bar to break loose the transmission drain and fill plug. Supposed to be 22ft/lb but probably hasn't been cracked for god only knows how long.

Also needing a breaker bar (and an impromptu trip to the store for a 32mm socket) for my IMS chain tensioner.

NOT needing a breaker bar on the motor mounts.

Fuel filter was drat near impossible to maneuver and what I thought would be a 45 minute job turned into a multi hour epic with all sorts of colorful words and gasoline everywhere. Pretty sure parents were covering ears of children walking by.

I was prepared for the 9.25 liters of oil the engine held. What I was NOT prepared for was the efficency that the motor drained. It was all out in about 10 seconds overwhelming my pan giving me an accurate recreation of Prince William Sound in my garage and Porch doing a very covencing Exxon Valdez. I am not too sure how to do it in the future.

The underside sheet metal on 911s are magic. Literally not even the slightest hint of corrosion at all. Anywhere. Brand new.

I am fat and out of shape. Yeah it was 32c and a little hungover but I sweated like crazy, through my shirt, through my coveralls, leaving wet spots on the floor as I worked. I have never sweat so much in my life working on a car and had to actually change my clothes under my coveralls in the middle of the job.

Also screwed myself by not following my own rule. When you think you have it jacked high enough, go a few more inches. I couldnt even use my creeper.

E: Also no weeping or anything to indicate an issue with ims or rms. I could however see some wet dirt around the bottom of the aos so I think I will be doing that in the coming weeks. I did buy one just in case but it's a bear of a job.

drat son

You've earned yourself a beer

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

slidebite posted:

I would have given myself heatstroke yesterday if I was drinking :(

Besides, like I said I'm fat and out of shape. You're trying to off me, aren't you?

NO THATS RIDICULOUS HOW COULD YOU EVER SAY THAT

:smug:

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

I'm still loving my Porch dreams vicariously through your adventures

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

slidebite posted:

LS was pimping ceramics for years with questionable benefits. Their plain bearing solution should be good though.

e: But surprisingly seen a few failures of even those. I'm not planing on touching my OEM 2-row as long as I have the car. If I had a single row, I don't know what I'd do; probably look at changing it. Jake Raby said himself if he had an early year dual row car at this point he'd just leave it.

I think he meant the Chebby kind of LS :v:

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
D:

The suspense is killing me!

We sold our Lincoln recently and I've been encouraging the wife to get whateeeeeveeer she wants, with the implication that if she gets a nice little SUV now, I get a nice little sports car a few years from now.

So what I'm saying is:

Don't sell dat porch until I'm ready because it's the exact intersection of price/car that I need. :unsmith:

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
Is that a Turbo or Turbo Look?

I love the 996 spoiler. Almost as much as the 993. :allears:

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Jymmybob posted:

Just the standard aero kit, Sport Design wheels, and someone painted the calipers at some point but it's missing the turbo's scoops in front of the rear wheels and lower bumper vents which are the big giveaways.

Cool, thanks!

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Jymmybob posted:

I'm pretty sure they are since I see them swing between countries surprisingly often.

In 911 news I might just take that one for 18k since it seems reasonable vs similar cars but first I'm going to check out a local turbo that might be a Car of Poor Decisions.

:toot: let's be honest with ourselves, buying a Porsche is rarely an objectively good decision anyways

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
:toot: now drive it up here and let me borrow it for 10 years

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
Holy poo poo that Turbo. That's an awesome colour. Slidebite, buy it and lease to own me your coupe

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
Is that Ultraviolet in front? Because I loooooooove Ultraviolet

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

slidebite posted:

Had to move some poo poo around in the garage so I thought I should move the cars to be safe so I didn't drop stuff on them. Backing out the porch turned into a 90 minute drive with a mix of highway and town. It was pretty cool this am but the roads are absolutely clear and dry and it just loved the cold dense air. It was almost unbearable keeping it at only 10-20K over the speed limit. I wanted to open it up so badly it was torture. It was an auto equivalent of getting blue balled.

hahahaha oh man I should have seen this coming

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Congrats, man! It looks good, from the ad.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
Because they're comedy-levels of cheap?

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Pryor on Fire posted:

Come on, it's not 1992, grow the gently caress up.

ITS 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

slidebite posted:

So even though I just bought a house and I'm watching disposable cash, I am about 1 inch away from buying a genuine Porsche PST-2/Bosch KTS-500 dealer tool, which will give me total and complete computer control to the Porsche.

doooooooooooooooooooooo iitttttttttttttttt