Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Greetings distinguished enthusiasts, I am considering transitioning from one type of boxer manufacturer (Subaru) to another, more expensive one, albeit a model without the boxer engine. After telling myself I’ll only drive stick I’ve given up on finding something spacious, fun, manual, and AWD, so I’m looking at used Macans.

It looks like 2015-2018 S models can be had in the mid 20’s with 60-80k on them. Base Cayennes aren’t any more expensive, and they are dirt cheap if I look at an older one, but I’m not really in the mood for something bigger than a Macan and I would assume parts and maintenance will be a lot more on the Cayenne.

What should I look out for? It seems like a leaking timing chain cover seems to be common.

Anything else I should consider? Spend more on newer or less on older?

The car will be a daily, occasionally do some light towing, and sick donuts in the snow.

I have a lift, tools, some patience, and no value for my personal time for simpler things that I can do myself, but I’m looking for something fairly reliable and don’t mind paying for more serious work when it’s needed. These cars seem pretty solid though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

TheBacon posted:

Manual BMW E91 wagon xdrive OP.

I’ve looked at them, as well as manual X5’s and X3’s, and manual Cayennes. My buddy has a manual Cayenne GT-S that is super cool, I’m just really sick of searching high and low for old cars that are super hard to find and aren’t that exciting aside from the stick. I’m coming out of a manual Forester XT which was charming but all of them are rusted as hell and clapped out at this point, no matter how much you want to pay, and my other car/track car is a Legacy GT wagon on its second built motor.

There are just so many used Macans out there it seems like a sweet spot if I relax one of my car nerd criteria.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

kensei posted:

I got the car back on Friday, took it for an extended drive on Saturday and the coolant all came out again when I was pulling into the gas station. I limped it home, topped it off (about a gallon again) and got it into the shop yesterday. No news yet, but I am nervous.

Was the coolant tested for exhaust gases?