Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Even the 944s are starting an upward trend in price if they are decent.

Luckily the 924 will never be a desirable car and will remain cheap.

Quoting this post from the first page of this thread cos... I want to buy a 924.

Anyone willing to admit they have one?

I'm thinking NA or S. Budget is 4.5k gbp for a car I can ideally daily drive. I have zero car mechanical experience so I would need something at least mechanically sound. Feels realistic, but I wouldn't even know what to look out for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Pop up headlights
Porsche
Fun
Midlife crisis
Not so expensive that can't afford to bin it or sell at a loss if I can't afford to maintain it
Need a second car for commuting which doesn't need to be child friendly, so can get something more interesting

slidebite posted:

You don't buy a 40 year old german car without any mechanical experience unless you can afford to pay someone to work on it (and if that's the case you don't buy a largely undesirable 40 year old german car) or a masochist.

The reason it is of interest to me is because it is undesirable, therefore cheap up front. I can then muck around with it if I decide to get spanner happy, or sell it with limited loss potential or just let it rot.

Motronic posted:

Unless you have a lot more money for maintenance I don't think it's a good idea for you to buy a cheap 40 year old german sports car.

I don't know what a lot more is in this context and over what time period - 10k over 2 years no, 5k over 10 years yeah sure. I wouldn't mind spending over the book value in time because it wouldn't really be an investment, its a toy. I can't afford an expensive toy, but a cheap toy might still be fun.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

About to make an offer on a 944 s2

I might make some other bad decisions today as well, any suggestions?

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Engine is sound and belts have been done recently. Sills are sound too.

However, engine cuts out when on clutch at junctions and the power steering is broken, which is why I offered 3k under asking.

He told me where to go, fair enough.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

He'd replaced the steering wheel with one a good couple of inches smaller, which really made the lack of power steering much worse. Still got the original steering wheel and it is in good nick.

Yeah I've read a few things about depowering the steering but it was ridiculously heavy, and in order to use it I would have to do maneuvers to get it in and out. Plus UK parking spots tend to be tight so if I want to take it anywhere I need to be able to move it around.

He is keen to sell, moving house, so I thought I may as well have a go. I'll call him in a month, ask if he sold it and offer another 500 on top as a sweetener.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

What kind of costs am I looking at if I buy a 996 with 150k miles on the clock? Interior looks to be well cared for. Need to ask about the IMS bearing?
3.4 996 Carrera 4 Coupe 2dr Petrol Tiptronic S AWD - £10,000 https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202305257789137
The aim is to store in a garage (once I have emptied it...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Toe Rag posted:

EVs are a whitewash OP. You have to drive 50k-100k km, depending on your country’s power generation, before you break even with an ICE car. In the last 5.5 years I have driven just over 45k km. I am in the US, so presumably the power generation is not particularly clean, and it would take me over 12 years to drive 100k km, possibly longer since I would avoid taking long trips in an EV. And then I’d have to replace the battery, resetting the break even calculus. If we had a green power grid (lol) then it would be a different story, but they are not a magic bullet for climate change. You could probably do more to stop climate change by having empty office towers turn off their lights and ban AC below 85F/30C.

Buddy why even have a car if you don't drive more 10k a year, those are loving rookie numbers. I drive more in a week than you do in month, are you even trying? Get on my level or gtfo

Sorry if you feel bad I just replied to your screed on EVs in the manner it deserved. Just because they aren't a magic bullet doesn't mean they can't be part of the solution, and the impact on local air pollution is an excellent argument in their favour. Replacement rates are 7 years and getting longer, so nearly all EVs will meet their CO2 deficit compared to ICE equivalent and then some.