Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

Yeah, my initial thought was straight up how hard it was to keep clean, and if I'd have to keep the visible part of the engine superficially clean as well... ie am I making more work for myself? So far at 2 - 1 I'm leaning in, haha.

And re: cabin engine noise, on any other car it would be a minus but you so rarely travel with passengers in P cars anyhow and it is really quiet, but then my last car had a really loud turboback swap so what do I know about refinement I suppose

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

Jymmybob posted:

Yup, Avery Dennison Light Blue. There's a few areas that need redone and there's a few spots I'm not thrilled with but unless you get right up to it and look for it they're not very noticeable. I can only be so mad about not nailing every one of the million louver edges but I did expect a better job overall.

Having no experience with wraps but loving that light blue, some questions: how hard is it to keep clean? Can you just wash it as usual? How long do they last?

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

Jymmybob posted:

It's sort of cheating but it's ceramic pro coated on top of the wrap which makes it repel just about everything. I rinse it off with a hose and it's better than any wash and detail I've given any car in terms of results. Garaged it should get 10 years at least.

That is the best answer I could have possibly hoped for... been looking to wrap in Gulf for a couple months now but wanted to make sure it was worth the hefty investment

Question for you all: anyone have any experience with replacement keys? I lost one awhile ago and have moved far away since so I just need a replacement cut and programmed to key#1.

Are there any options besides getting gutted by dealer pricing? I'd expect something like $500 but haven't bothered to call and ask, was curious what my other options are before I do?

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

In all seriousness, floor mounted throttles ruined me. That and linear clutch pedal action.

I'm thinking of moving on in a year or two (RF for awhile I'm thinking?) but if there's anything that I'm afraid I'll miss it's those, surprisingly

EDIT: I sat in a co-worker's RF and pressed down on the clutch and let out a deep sigh, I still want one, but I wanted one less

thechalkoutline fucked around with this message at 01:41 on May 19, 2018

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

Tactical Lesbian posted:

Update: have since replaced an IMS bearing in a driveway. We're basically Porsche mechanics now, right? :goku:

u bst

tyrelhill posted:

Are there much differences (aside from prize) between a 2015 and 2018 Cayman? I’m looking at a used one currently but also thinking of just buying new.

Disrupting decades of tradition by going from a flat 6 to a turbo'd flat 4 like a fuckin poor is a significant departure any way you look at it

tl;dr yes

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

That said, it makes NA post-IMS cayman/boxsters that much more desireable

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

Bajaha posted:

It's like the watercooled vs aircooled split all over again. Maybe the turbo 4's will be a good bargain in a decade or so.

Yeah, I meant not that they were good value but like air cooled, the defunct era is apt to be overvalued

Boxster is a candidate for the next car and I wouldnt say no to a turbo 4, still a pity about the exhaust note though

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

ColHannibal posted:

Went to see the old man this weekend, AKA the man that hates coolant.

UMMMM gonna need better pics of this if im gonna jerk off tia

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

guidoanselmi posted:

orange county is trash

qft

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

Yeah nice blue, hope you enjoy the drive! P car talk: are those center caps on the wheels silver or colored?

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

I love colored center caps is all, the contrast really freshens up silver wheels

+1 I'd like some shots of the interior

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

Great descriptions yeah, my only two cents to add: the hydraulic rack on the 986 is a rarity in this day and age and thus a relative communication bonus, and I once saw an S2000 almost lose it just accelerating as a light turned green because it was really wet out. It's a strange feeling to watch someone almost wreck their car coming from a dead stop, saved it tho.

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

Jealous Cow posted:

That’s crazy. Bald tires? They have no torque...

He basically manage to whip his rear end end almost past 45 degrees in 1st gear.

He was going onto a straightaway to merge on a highway so he was probably rev happy when he popped it but yeah I wouldn't expect the punishment for that be "almost spin your car around," also he was freakin pointed straight.

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

slidebite posted:

I really prefer the pop ups of the 968 by far.

If you're not careful weird headlights are going to become Your Thing

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

Cross-posting from the youtubes thread but it's worth it for the close-ups of the interior, the engine display, etc.

Singer DLS at Goodwood

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLlEgTyGpg0

EXPOSED SHIFTER LINKAGES HNGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH

Also the AYYYE that goes up when he stalls it lmao

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

This is the question of a desperate man, but does anyone have any experience with 911's and child seats?

Specifically: even say with a larger 20-40lb seat, can a medium to smaller sized adult still fit in the passenger seat? Or are you functionally losing that seat too?

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

Which generation?

996/997

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

McTinkerson posted:

Former coworker DD's a 997.1 with a child seat in the back. It's a properly beafy front facing one. Fitment is good. He couldn't fit two of the same seats side by side (they would overlap in the center). He also cannot slide the passenger seat all the way back. That being said, a 6'2" passenger can still fit comfortably in the front.

That's way more passenger room than I expected! Thanks for the specific feedback.

Larrymer posted:

Front facing is a lot lower profile than a rear facing.

Just don't let the kid ride with you until they're 1-2 and you're fine. :v:

Yeah, this is me trying to have my cake and eat it too — thinking of dropping the 987 for a 996/997 for a babby. The 987 carries a full line of rear facing child seats, not that there's any justification for turning it into a full-time baby transport carrier, but it did get me thinking about 911 kid seats.

In other news, the 987 is getting a factory short shifter kit once I scrounge up enough for the part. I'm of the strong opinion SSK are a waste in most cars because if your gear ratios are long and/or you have a factory flywheel, shifting will never be your limiting factor unless you're blipping off a downshift (??). But on the 987 they're so tight I can smoothly slam the clutch in/out on shifts and still be a little slow since the synchro sweet spot is not broad. Never have a seen a car that actually needed an SSK this bad, I literally only need about maybe 0.200s off the shift for it to be perfect. I was just thinking about this outside work the other day and next thing I'm googling reviews and they're great so hey, trip report to come.

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

Jealous Cow posted:

I’m going to look at a new 718 Cayman right now.

They also have a Carrera T in stock.

Pray for me brothers. I must have strength.

Manual comes with shorter gear ratios (speaking of), door straps, no gently caress-off wing, LSD... I hope you crack like an egg

Let me know how those carbon buckets feel though, curious how they could be comfortable enough for a 'touring' car.

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

YES, a manual too! I actually fell in love with my Cayman's black, I'm betting you will too. I honestly had the money to wrap it at one point and couldn't think of a better color (the flashy P-car blues don't look as good with the Cayman lines imo)

Congrats, you eggshell man

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

Jealous Cow posted:

$1400 hahahahahaha

There isn’t a single mark on the wheel so I think I’m ok. The tire was punctured, it didn’t leak out from a bad seal.

Hope the wheel is alright, if that's the case you're fine.

Wheel/tire insurance is dumb, take that money and get a) tow insurance and if you're anal they DO in fact sell a spare tire kit for the Cayman/Boxster. However, I believe it can't be used on the rear wheel so if you need to swap front to rear and spare the now empty front.

Total 3 years of 987 ownership I have had 4 flats and 2 tows. I learned my lesson. And I'm not giving up that spare storage space for a tire and a jack.

Residency Evil posted:

Yeah, but:

1) That's awesome
2) I tell myself I can use my wife's car if needed.

Hydraulic steering rack :getin:

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

Jealous Cow posted:

Wheel is bent on the outer edge with no metal scarring. It balances and holds air but is obviously bent in daylight.

The dealer couldn’t get a new advan sport tire until tomorrow so I borrowed a macan and bought a Potenza re04 from Firestone. Back on the road now.

You do have my sympathy, my first ever new car in life some joker rear ended me couple hundred miles out. Getting bodywork done before you've even gotten your plates sucks

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

Jealous Cow posted:

Last time I tried to reach out to a NEO goon was in the homeowners thread and he edited out all his posts and disappeared from the forum.

Yeah that sounds pretty goony

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

slidebite posted:

Was actually a pity I had to do them. TONS of life in the pads left, basically new, but the previous owner cheaped out and didn't do the rotors which were about 2mm beyond spec

Hmm at least with my 987 maint spec is rotors every time with brakes. Nice breezing through it

Trip report on the short shifter kit: it's great! I'll just stick to the useful stuff. Throws are advertised -30% but the user experience feels closer to 50%. Still not as short as say, an STI short shifter, which is great. I'll take the longest throw I can get away with any day in a non-track/autox car. All the aftermarket kits advertise even shorter throws — I absolutely wouldnt unless you auto-x or summat

The feel is 1:1 OEM. However, having experience completely refreshed bushings for the first time (car was only new to me, 1PO put 20k on it) they are very stiff. Can't say for the worse but I'd be kinda surprised if I sat in it on a showroom floor and the bushings were this stiff, almost feels like poly. For perspective, I think a 13 year old girl would have actual difficulty getting it into gear with one arm.

Bit over 3h book time, center console must come out etc. I have a god-mechanic that does everything (engine rebuilds, gundo, everything) and charges me zilch (ok half) for labor so it went to him. Took him 1h 20m, but he said it was pretty close to full speed since he'd just done a Boxster last week.

(If anyone in the cesspool that is the CA Bay area is looking for a P-car mechanic, I cannot tout this guy enough. I know every Porsche mechanic for like 100 square miles and this guy is a dream come true.)

In other fun gossip, we were talking exhausts and hementioned the rise in gundo hacks he 's been doing recently, def the new hotness and everything is reaaaaal happy with the results. Just funny cause I first heard it here from I think kiimbo? and apparently it's really taken off

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

Yeah, this guy will do his own weld/fab and he said no easy solution for the 987. You should see how much the Sport Exhaust costs, sweet Jesus. Aftermarket runs about half. My dream would be to find some used one somewhere but I've yet to even see one pop up sold, much less for sale.

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

slidebite posted:

Yeah, no way those rotors were done with the pads. There was probably a 1-1.5mm ridge around the perimeter of the rotor where the pads wore in. They were Textar pads, so probably OEM and maybe even Porsche (I know PO was not the most mechanically saavy guy) but if he took it to the dealer they would have quoted him $rape$ for doing the rotors so he almost certainly just passed. But they needed to be done. Oh well, simple enough job.

Which shifter is this?

Factory short shifter kit, fits:

Boxster (all versions) 1997-12
Carrera (all versions) 1999-12
Cayman (all versions) 2006-12

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/99742498300.html

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

People believe that B&M is the OEM for it:
https://www.amazon.com/45135-Precision-Sport-Shifter/dp/B000CIIDMM
Given the look of the parts, I went with B&M for the discount.

I think the B&M is still aftermarket but yeah it sounds like if you're willing to do the work the cost difference is basically re-using the housing and people seem to really like it

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/355374-short-shifter-oem-or-b-and-m.html

quote:

I paid $ 399 for the OEM .The B&M is available for ~ $250.
Check around for the best price.

The main difference between the two is that the OEM is a complete replacement unit .You un-bolt your's and bolt in the new unit ( 4 bolts ),
re-attach the two cables and you're done.

If you buy the B&M , you get the stick and a few parts.
You need to re-use the factory housing.
Your factory shifter is permanently installed , so you will need to BREAK
it out of the housing and then install the B&M bushings, etc.
That's why it's a lot cheaper .
It's OK if you follow the directions and are willing to spend the extra time.
(just keep in mind that if you screw something up, you will have no car to drive until you get replacement parts)
You may even want to buy someone's standard shifter , install the B&M and then swap it out (then sell your's to the next guy ) lol

If you plan to install it yourself, B&M has very good install directions.Take a look and see if it's something you want to takle .
If you go with the OEM (which I decided to do afte seeing what's involved )
you can disregard ~ 90% of the instructions.

There is no "quality" difference that I know of between the two. If there is,it's minimal and not worth mentioning. Both are st.stl. sticks and may even be made by the same company.
In any event, I love the OEM Sport shifter . It should be standard equipment .

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

krysmopompas posted:

Did the bottom just fall out of the air cooled market? There’s like 8 on the Bay Area Craigslist for below 30k, and a nice 993 driver didn’t even break 40k on bat.

And if that’s the case, why the hell am I looking at hatchbacks to replace my hatchback when both folding trailers and the willwood system exist?

YTOOL 2018 where a 30-40k air cooled P-car is a fuckin steal of a deal, imagine how much pony car that would get you

I'm always looking though... good to know, if they ever dipped to 25k I'd probably be absolutely in tbh.

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

willie_dee posted:

If the USA market turns out anything like he UK market, buy as many air cooled as you can, and wait 5 years, you'll double your money.

I met a guy struggling to sell his 993 12 years or so ago, for what I remember was not a lot, £25kish. It would be worth £60k now.

Residency Evil posted:

Yeah that was the US a few years back too. I think he's asking whether the craze is over.

Nice 996 btw.

Yeah here 30k is still a good deal relative to the market value of air-cooled P-cars. That doesn't, however, preclude it being comically overvalued.

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

If you have to get it detailed it would be a perfect time to get a ceramic coat on it.

You'd need some amount of paint correction (dealer wash on new cars already fucks it up) in any scenario before you ceramic and brand new car is the time to do it, so you're not out value. I wouldn't hesitate to if I bought a brand new non-econo box.

If you keep it outside you'll need to wash it regularly and ceramic makes that a breeze too, and it's the upkeep tradeoff anyhow (easy washes but frequent-ish).

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

ColHannibal posted:

Porsche paint is supernaturally hard imo, as long as you don’t leave a big bird poo poo on your hood nothing should hurt your paint.

Yeah, I leave bird poo poo on for weeks and I've had my car for years np, and my car is black.

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

M_Gargantua posted:

I'm setting up to personally redo the body and paint of my 996. Wish me luck. Also I need to decide between the original Porsche Yellow or a different color that may also be yellow.

Re-paint to match OEM yellow then wrap it in Mexico Blue

This is actually what I would do if I were you

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

Bajaha posted:

Hey guys, so my 987 decided it's not too fond of its coolant and is making a puddle in the parking lot.

I'm inbetween Tacoma/Seattle and Portland, heading south so I'm going to tow it to a shop in Portland, but I don't know which shop. Any recommendations?

I suspect it's either water pump or the hose off the pump that's failed.

E: found a list of repair shops on the PCA:Oregon website and left messages will all of them so hopefully someone calls in the morning and I can get it repaired :fingerscrossed:

My bet is water pump, had it happen on the tail end of a road trip on my 987, failure of water pump within like 60k miles is not uncommon, just german car things (I mean if youre unlucky, of course)

Ask me about closing out a long road trip by riding in a tow truck for 3 hours at like 2 in the morning

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

Bajaha posted:

We have a winner, it was the pump. New pump, belt, coolant, and 5.2 hours of labor and we're back on the road. RIP my wallet.

Running out of time in the day so the shop gave me some coolant and instructions for the final bleed tonight and sent me on my way. Glad to be back up and running same day at least.

Bajaha posted:

Not much actually, missed a little bit of the northern coast of Oregon with tide pools and skipped Mt St Helen, still made it to the same end point for the day. Tomorrow is back to regularly scheduled adventure. Car is back to running like a top and all in all we made the most of a crappy situation.

Nice! Yeah looks like they got you covered but I was gonna say monitor those coolant levels for awhile, I had issues with some bubbles that I had to eventually top off. Esp. since I was on a trip like you so I didn't have my choice of labor quality, though in my case the Carmax warranty ate it.

It's fun to hear about another person road tripping in a 987, I've taken many with my SO and I'm always surprised how long I can sit in that seat given it's not a touring car.

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

Dave Inc. posted:

So the guy who did the top end rebuild in my 82 SC decided to not torque the rocker shafts enough. They're getting taken care of now, but gently caress, man. You removed the valve covers three times and never figured it out? Already had another shop doing work (in another state), so a few hundred bucks isn't worth going after him for, but there's irregular wear on one of the cam lobes that worries me.

Some shops think they can work on the air-cooleds, but maybe just don't.

Hell yeah, I've had some "5/5" type shops do some really fuckin shoddy work.

I finally found my guy and I asked him how there's so few quality shops given I live in fuckin silicon valley and there are porsches spilling out and he essentially said the insane initial overhead cost of tools creates an impossible barrier of entry that prices most mechanics out of that market. You basically have to already have a lot of working capital (then why are you wrenching for a living) or qualify for a giant loan somehow.

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

MomJeans420 posted:

I love seeing things like this

They sell racks for those too, photos so high res these days I can even make out the tabs

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

Residency Evil posted:

I'm checking that out next week!

Also: oh god oh God I think I'm buying it.

Yea if I had the cash and presuming everything looks alright I'd be so down, desirable specs nice value just win baby

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

MomJeans420 posted:

For Lexus without aux in, there was a guy that specializes in adding an aux in jack to the front or the back, a tiny push button switch on the front that looks factory, and then he solders the aux in directly to the FM radio part of the circuit. Push the button in and it's a direct input to the head unit, press it again and you have radio again. Probably someone doing that with Porsche head units too?

Yeah this is a solution for 987's, you have to take the head unit out and ship it to them or summat though. I remember looking into it and it was too much hassle/cost

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

An '08 S at that mileage will run around or under 20k, so you could argue it's a bit pricey but in theory that value is in the wheels? Are factory 911S wheels really an option for 987s? I'm not a wheel guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

Motronic posted:

Don't buy anything from a place that posts like that.

quote:

MUST HAVE PRE-APPROVED AUTO LOAN TO TEST DRIVE

lol