Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Awesome! posted:

buy a $2 plastic game case from ebay that holds 20+ 3/DS games

i have a tiny tool box that some candy tools came in and i ate and now 3ds games live in it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Awesome! posted:

buy a $2 plastic game case from ebay that holds 20+ 3/DS games

Yeah but I need a cover that will fit so it doesn't look like rear end on my shelf.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

The Taint Reaper posted:

Yeah but I need a cover that will fit so it doesn't look like rear end on my shelf.

we've seen your shelf. trust me it doesnt matter

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Awesome! posted:

we've seen your shelf. trust me it doesnt matter

I have shown nobody my Nintendo handheld shelf.

I have all my GB/GBC stored in 3DS cases because the old gameboy games fit perfectly in there while the GBA games fit into the regular DS cases.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
luftrausers

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Mario Galaxy remains Extremely Good. I'm looking forward to Mario Galaxy 2.

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

I just throw all my DS games into a box made for trading cards and they just kinda sit in their loose and bounce around but it's worked for me for years

Don't buy bullshit games you never intend on playing just because they're cheap, and if you're that much of a variety gamer then just get a flashcart instead

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I want to cry because Shovel Knight is so good.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

The only good game coming out in March is Mario Party 10. Everything else is a stream of garbage or bejeweled clones.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Is gaming dead? I say yes.

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

The only good game coming out in March is Mario Party 10. Everything else is a stream of garbage or bejeweled clones.

Don't sign your posts!! 🍑💨💩

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

FactsAreUseless posted:

Is gaming dead? I say yes.

Gaming better than it's ever been and the only people who disagree are idiots in their 30s or older

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Gaming better than it's ever been and the only people who disagree are idiots in their 30s or older
Counterpoint: The Xbox One is the new Colecovision, which was the console that caused the great video game crash by having the wrong kind of RAM and making every game you put in it just play E.T.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Tomorrow is my birthday so I need to figure out what to buy myself as a gift. I'm stuck between Dragon Ball: Xenoverse or forking out extra and getting a N3DS. I haven't owned a DS since 2009 so I've missed lots of games on it.

I'm buying Bloodbourne regardless.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

seiferguy posted:

Tomorrow is my birthday so I need to figure out what to buy myself as a gift. I'm stuck between Dragon Ball: Xenoverse or forking out extra and getting a N3DS. I haven't owned a DS since 2009 so I've missed lots of games on it.

I'm buying Bloodbourne regardless.
N3DS. There's a ton of good 3DS and DS games out there.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

hmm yes tough choice between buying one game where you can pretend to be goku's downsy cousin or a whole system that plays some of the best games in recent memory

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

FactsAreUseless posted:

Counterpoint: The Xbox One is the new Colecovision, which was the console that caused the great video game crash by having the wrong kind of RAM and making every game you put in it just play E.T.
Hey man that was the Atari, the Colecovision did nothing wrong.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Accordion Man posted:

Hey man that was the Atari, the Colecovision did nothing wrong.
Uh, I think you're misremembering. It was Thomas Atari himself who buried E.T. in the desert to try and end the curse, but it was too late, the virus had already spread.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Colecovision was really good and so was intellivision.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Colecovision was really good and so was intellivision.

I dunno I bought both Atari Collections and the one Intellivision collection for the PS2 and I was less than pleased.

they all felt like bad NES games.

before the NES we were a Magnavox family, I never played an atari or a colecovision.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

I personally liked the vectrex because it was so weird and had a starwar Death Star game (or off brand).

I mean most games before the NES won't hold up and really only SNES games kinda do.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The last good video game was Pilotwings 64.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The first good video game was also Pilotwings 64.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

The one on the 3DS was kinda neat in a relaxing way.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

I personally liked the vectrex because it was so weird and had a starwar Death Star game (or off brand).

I mean most games before the NES won't hold up and really only SNES games kinda do.

Yeah anything prior to the 16 bit era plays in an incredibly dated way.

I only have around 30 NES games and I really have not been all that interested in expanding my collection because most of the games just are not worth playing. The collector's market also has everything be way up there in price. I wanted to get both NES Zeldas and Final Fantasy just for completions sake but they were commanding higher prices than the Limited Edition gamecube Zelda collection that I already had, and Final Fantasy was more expensive than the PSX re-release.

So I wasn't going to pay far more than i was expecting for games I already own in some form.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

I mean I still enjoy a lot of old games but wouldn't recommend someone play them now.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Eh there's old games that are better than newer ones, like The Legend of Zelda and ALTTP are still better than pretty much every Zelda game that followed because instead of being up their own asses with bad story and tutorial garbage they're actual games you're meant to play and even occasionally die in

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

I enjoyed a link between worlds and while I may say LttP is better I'll chalk it up to nostalgia

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
Retards gamers hate any game that isn't 90% cutscene and 10% QTE

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Old games are still good and good things do not "age badly" except in very exceptional and specific ways.

Good games still come out today but so do a lot of garbage games. I would be very sad if all I could play was new games because even the good ones tend to be bad in a lot of ways compared to old games. But I am not sad, because I still have old games, and my brain isn't garbage and broken so I still discover ones that passed me by and love them all the time even fi they are not as cinematic and majestic as The Order: 1886. I started playing Quest for Glory last week and it's really good :)

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah there have always been a bunch of bad games that just find new and exciting ways to be bad, and always new good games. Such as 2015 GOTY Bloodborne

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Old games are still good and good things do not "age badly" except in very exceptional and specific ways.

look at this human being, he probably watched Citizen Kane even though it's old and Guardians of the Galaxy has way better graphics

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

That is literally how retarded people sound when they say older games aren't worth playing

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I dunno there's poo poo like Phantasy Star's first person dungeon that contains no map or anyway to record such a map in game. The Early Ultima games really don't stand out anymore as well, and the first three final fantasies are not as good as the ones that came later on in the series.

They're incredibly dated at this point because the mechanics were refined by later games.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
The question is, are we in the Silver Age of gaming, or more like... the Bronze era? Cuz gaming culture was a lot more interesting like 20 years ago, these days it kinda sucks and most people now think gamers are insane terrorists, thanks Dick Wolf.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Excels posted:

The question is, are we in the Silver Age of gaming, or more like... the Bronze era? Cuz gaming culture was a lot more interesting like 20 years ago, these days it kinda sucks and most people now think gamers are insane terrorists, thanks Dick Wolf.

Penny Arcade was right, Beware the Dick Wolves.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Wow, if you're going to post the name of the creator of Law and Order could we get a loving trigger warning first? Thanks.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
infected mushroom is good gaming music

you
are
welcome

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

lol it's some horrible techno garbage, kill yourself please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Sorry that was pretty loving harsh, just beat yourself up a little or maybe break a finger or two

• Locked thread