Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

The Taint Reaper posted:

I dunno there's poo poo like Phantasy Star's first person dungeon that contains no map or anyway to record such a map in game. The Early Ultima games really don't stand out anymore as well, and the first three final fantasies are not as good as the ones that came later on in the series.

They're incredibly dated at this point because the mechanics were refined by later games.
Ultima is a good example actually, the first three games definitely aren't worth playing because Garriott was just throwing things at the wall to see what sticks. The series gets worth playing at 4 because of all the interesting poo poo it tries and legitimately good at 5-6, and I wouldn't say that's down to technical advancement so much as just the dude learning how to make his games good. Ultima 5 is still very very old but I think it holds up well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Also I still retain the opinion that The Lost Levels for Super Mario bros. were "lost" for a good reason.

way too much bullshit trick jumps, and if you get a star at certain points in the game it will wind up killing you because some of the jumps require you to bounce on the head of an enemy to gain enough momentum to make it to the next platform. The Star negates this and you just wind up falling to your death.

Also the ending is the exact same as Super Mario bros. 1. Like the People who made this clearly messed up on what made people enjoy the original.

And it turns out that the team who made Doki Doki panic made the engine originally for a mario game before it switched to DDP, which then later switched to Super mario Bros. 2. So SMB2 was the true mario sequel all along.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah the Lost Levels is a sequel for people who had played a ton of and mastered the original game which is fine for them but is really bad and untenable for a game series because if they had continued in that way it wouldn't have attracted new players and Mario would've died with the NES, whereas SMB2 owns

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
It's not like every single game has to be designed for every single person to enjoy. Your average contard probably wouldn't like any game that requires more coordination than a starfish possesses but that doesn't mean all of those games are bad.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Adam Bowen posted:

It's not like every single game has to be designed for every single person to enjoy. Your average contard probably wouldn't like any game that requires more coordination than a starfish possesses but that doesn't mean all of those games are bad.

I think Maybe the three mario games for the NES might still hold up, but a large large large portion of games from the NES and the consoles that predate it are just very very archaic. Like even the first Metroid game is just kinda....there. It's ok for a Novelty factor but compared to what came later like Super Metroid and Zero Mission it's just not very good.

SNES and Genesis era had their poo poo together better. Like Streets of Rage and Final Fight series hold up better as does Phantasy star 2 and 4, Space harrier, and final fantasies 4,5, and 6, Chrono Trigger and a ton more games.

I mean think of all the NES racing games that are good? The 16 bit era was when the racing genre really could take off. The NES games like Rad racer were incredibly limited.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

The Taint Reaper posted:

Also I still retain the opinion that The Lost Levels for Super Mario bros. were "lost" for a good reason.

way too much bullshit trick jumps, and if you get a star at certain points in the game it will wind up killing you because some of the jumps require you to bounce on the head of an enemy to gain enough momentum to make it to the next platform. The Star negates this and you just wind up falling to your death.

Also the ending is the exact same as Super Mario bros. 1. Like the People who made this clearly messed up on what made people enjoy the original.

And it turns out that the team who made Doki Doki panic made the engine originally for a mario game before it switched to DDP, which then later switched to Super mario Bros. 2. So SMB2 was the true mario sequel all along.

Imo if you really sincerely love Mario 1, Lost Levels is the perfect extension of it. I agree with you and Zombies' Downfall to the extent that this is a somewhat misguided direction for a sequel(though not a unique one in those days, like how Wizardry 2 required you to have played the first game or you would have a lovely low level party that can't actually complete the dungeon) but it makes for a fantastic expansion pack and treat for those who purchased All-Stars

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
original Metroid is boss, I like how there's no map

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

I don't think that the fact that most NES games aren't great really proves anything, most PS3/360 games are pretty much complete trash.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

The Taint Reaper posted:

I dunno there's poo poo like Phantasy Star's first person dungeon that contains no map or anyway to record such a map in game.

Draw the map yourself you wiener.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

codenameFANGIO posted:

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

original Metroid is boss, I like how there's no map

Drawing the map yourself for OG Metroid also owns.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

codenameFANGIO posted:

I'm convinced that Phantasy Star fully funded the Sega Hotline.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
what was the first RPG with an automap? was it a might and magic game?

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

I wish I had the right kind of autism for that, drawing maps for games pretty much owns

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Excels posted:

The question is, are we in the Silver Age of gaming, or more like... the Bronze era? Cuz gaming culture was a lot more interesting like 20 years ago, these days it kinda sucks and most people now think gamers are insane terrorists, thanks Dick Wolf.

Gaming culture 20 years ago is fun to read about today but practically nonexistent 20 years ago, since the internet wasn't so ubiquitous and the entirety of the culture was a few magazines and what your friends wanted to talk about (like mortal kombat nude codes). Like today you can read about old marketing and arcade tournaments and poo poo but IRL all that was very few and far between and even gaming apparel was mail order only, and at that you'd have the choice of like two shirts out of NP's catalog. Unlike how today you can just buy a Mario shirt and hat at Walmart.

So we are definitely in a golden age

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
20 years ago MMOs and Gamestop did not even exist.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I'm in journalism and can confirm that we are actively working to destroy gaming culture.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I hope one day they make a new SSX game because getting blazed af and doing a single continuous 30 minute trick down the entire mountain owned, too bad they hosed their own asses by filling the last one with bullshit death pits

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

FactsAreUseless posted:

I'm in journalism and can confirm that we are actively working to destroy gaming culture.

commenting on a redtube video is not journalism

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

The Taint Reaper posted:

you're right, we had nintendo and funcland and that was all that mattered

does funcland even exist anymore? rip funcland...

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

hubris.height posted:

commenting on a redtube video is not journalism
There are literally people who let me make news, and broadcast it, to thousands of people.

hosed up.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
dark ousl 3

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
folliow me on twitch when i stay up for a week without sleeping and stream bloodbrone

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

They called the third Dark Souls the Blood B Orne

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
should have called dark souls 2, darker souls

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Demon's Souls
Demons' Souls
Demons' Souls' 2 Souls

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

How Rude posted:

you're right, we had nintendo and funcland and that was all that mattered

does funcland even exist anymore? rip funcland...

Funco, babbages, Walden Software, and EB were all absorbed into gamestop.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

The proper name is actually Darku Souru

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Souls Up 2 The Streets

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Adam Bowen posted:

The proper name is actually Darku Souru
Doki Doki Souls

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I wish they called it Black Souls so I could have listened to nothing but a smooth jazz soundtrack while playing.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

"souls" "smooth jazz"

This is why nobody likes you, Taint Reaper.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

codenameFANGIO posted:

Drawing the map yourself for OG Metroid also owns.

lol i did this the first time i played, and even wrote stuff like "missile door here, come back with missiles, etc."

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

The Taint Reaper posted:

Next year that won't be true anymore, 19 years ago the MMOs genre, like we know today, was born.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

i used to stare at those big maps with all the armor and monsters and cave that came with the Dragon Warrior cartridges forever.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Bleusilences posted:

Next year that won't be true anymore, 19 years ago the MMOs genre, like we know today, was born.

Depending on what game you count from, they're already almost 25

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Depending on what game you count from, they're already almost 25

Well it won an award and was named along side Ultima Online, EQ, and WoW.

I guess MMos are actually much older

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
Neverwinter Nights 1 is a better game than WoW.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Clay Fighter's coming back, I want to trap the devs of Clay Fighter 64 in a room and force them to explain this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OzM3nGjegQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

Lurdiak posted:

Clay Fighter's coming back, I want to trap the devs of Clay Fighter 64 in a room and force them to explain this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OzM3nGjegQ

did he just say "POOPOO PLATTER"?

• Locked thread