Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Bicyclops posted:

I'm finally playing mother 3 through for the first time and i just got to Leder's big exposition dump. okay, I guess. :shrug:

I think overall, it's a good game, but not as good as Earthbound for a lot of reasons. Like, the kind of game that the series is riffing on sort of didn't exist anymore when they made it, they tried to be hugely emotional right out of the bag, a lot of it is inappropriate creepy rather than weird and cool creepy. I dunno. It's still a really good game in my opinion and i am glad I played it. I like getting the 16 hit combos. I shouldn't have waited so long so i would have appropriate expectations.

It has a coherent, well written story, which Earthbound really didn't, in lieu of having a bunch of poo poo lying around riffing on Dragon Quest games. Earthbound told the same story more or less, but was less structured about it. I don't think either one is superior to be honest. And I'm not sure how you can use the lack of reference to its genre contemporaries as a negative when those don't exist for Earthbound either. Nobody playing either game in 2015 is going to be operating in the same context that Earthbound was when it was released. You're using 1995 standards of artistic relevance for Earthbound and 2015 ones for Mother 3

also as for the inappropriate vs cool creepy, you're aware Earthbound is the game where the final boss fight is you going back in time to abort the fetus of an evil alien god-monster, right? i'm not sure what definition of inappropriate, weird, creepy or bad that wouldn't fall under

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Mar 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

capitalism is cool and good, especially when combined with a left-liberal reformist regulatory schema

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Bicyclops posted:

I guess you never played Civ IV

video games are for children

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

what's happening with FE and SMT is that nintendo is peeling its mask off and revealing that it was an anime company the whole time

• Locked thread