Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
the opening to mario vs DK is a still image of dk stealing a girl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

pretty sure they only made that game to get some use out of the Pauline model they made for Smash 4.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

The Taint Reaper posted:

The only system with Games coming out for it is the PS4 it seems.

Wii-U and Xbox One releases are sparse or in limbo.

Flower is one of the top 3 bestsellers for PS4

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

The question is, are we in the Silver Age of gaming, or more like... the Bronze era? Cuz gaming culture was a lot more interesting like 20 years ago, these days it kinda sucks and most people now think gamers are insane terrorists, thanks Dick Wolf.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Neverwinter Nights 1 is a better game than WoW.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

Clay Fighter's coming back, I want to trap the devs of Clay Fighter 64 in a room and force them to explain this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OzM3nGjegQ

did he just say "POOPOO PLATTER"?

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Wasn't there some kind of controversy about a recent HM game? Two Towns or something?

i seem to recall some ordeal about having to change the name of the series or

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

I never noticed or cared about any problems FFVI had on GBA, it's still mad fun. if the Woolsey script triggers your autism or something I dunno what to tell you.

the GBA one has the Dragon Den and all of that and seems to play fine from start to finish.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Ambivalent posted:

the GBA color saturation feels bad and looks bad on a monitor, and the music is messed up because my head knows what it should sound like but it doesn't,

Fortunately, there are actually patches for both of these

i guess. i had the same confusion at everyone telling me how HORRIBLE BAD AWFUL gba Tales of Phantasia was, I still enjoyed it.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Chrono Trigger and Mario RPG are the only JRPGs that are good and could be recommended.

All other JRPGs may be fun to play if you're cool with JRPGs otherwise they're garbage

I can name a lot more you're forgetting, like uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh the first two Suikoden games??

gay skull posted:

9 is good but slow as poo poo to the point where it's really bad unless you're dying of cancer and are on a morphine drip so you're high the entire time and don't mind the horrible pacing of the entire game

maybe you're slow. mentally

slow pacing is not a bad thing, because every second of that game is perfect

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

you can do so many things in FFIX.

it's been almost over a decade and square still hasn't made another rpg as good as ffix. no one has

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

FFIX is insanely good I just wish it had character-specific sidequests at the end.

it does but only for quina

and garnet

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

also apparently there is a completely pointless sidequest where every time you defeat a boss in the final dungeon, you go all the way back through the final dungeon and then fly back to Lindblum and watch one of the pig guys pop out of your hideout

and then after like nine times you get a lovely ring

FactsAreUseless posted:

Wait, which one is Garnet's?

You find out her real name in Madain Sari. It's a pretty convoluted sidequest for a tiny payoff

Excels fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Mar 4, 2015

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

Oh, yeah, I forgot about that. I mean like a full Chrono Trigger-style quest for each character, with its own boss. Would have helped the fourth disc.

I like how if you kill Ozma, when you fight Hades he considers fleeing from you.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Adam Bowen posted:

FF9 is actually in a very tight competition for worst Final Fantasy game along with 8 and 13.

i'll fuckin cut you bowen

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

gay skull posted:

There's slow pacing and then there's waiting like 20 seconds for every single battle to start and conclude with long animations for every tiny little thing in battle and it makes the game a chore to play, it really needs a remastering where the battles pick up the pace a little bit. I mean the game is good and all but God drat dude, pacing wise, FF9 makes Breaking Bad look like an episode of Aqua Teen Hunger Force

That's why getting Ark as a summon is so fuckin sick cuz that poo poo feels like it goes on for 15 minutes

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

this is like atrociously wrong opinion central around here, what the gently caress.

people poo poo-talking kuja AND chocobo hot'n'cold. christ almighty

FactsAreUseless posted:

Kuja gets interesting toward the end but he's just some guy for most of the game. The story and characters are mostly really good though. I just want some endgame sidequests to give some closure to characters who get forgotten early on (Freya) and who have a lot of loose ends in their backstory (Freya) or who are Freya.

they hook up at the end even though he never gets his memory back.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

Like I wish we saw more of Kuja early on, especially since he kills the character you spend the first two discs fighting.

he rides a bitchin dragon, which we also should have seen more of.

Accordion Man posted:

Kefka and Emperor Palamecia are far and away the best Final Fantasy villains.

it's hard for me to take a pixelated villain seriously. he's pretty badass in dissidia, gives off a sort of david bowie vibe.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

I always stuck with the Alexandria Crew because i didn't want to break them up. also their skills alll meshed well together. i even took garnet to oeilvert because i'm hardcore.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

I felt pretty ripped off when the hidden megaboss turned out to be a beach ball.

it's actually some weird mash of the two planets. Ozma's top half represents their planet and the other is Terra. whatever he is, even the lord of the underworld answered to him

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

im being triggered

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

i will concede FF8 had a way better airship than 9 did. psychic town destroying blimp is cool and all, but crazy red spaceship full of gator aliens is the epitome of a Sweet Ride

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Trochanter posted:

I have a question regarding Hideo Kojima, and this seemed like the best place to ask:

I've heard in interviews that Kojima has been trying to distance himself from Metal Gear and do other things, but Konami keeps putting him back on. What's the likelyhood that he follows Inafune and starts his own project, either through private funding or Kickstarter?

he has gone on record saying MGSV is the last MGS game "in his eyes", regardless of whether the series continues with or without him

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

honestly i don't think meme run or the trollface person getting it taken down is remarkable enough to even discuss.

the only thing i'd ever want to know is who approved it for the eShop to begin with

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

A Spider Covets posted:

this is what i'm wondering. is there any standard for games that get on there? what other kinds of bizarre titles have made their way into the previously-unsullied e-shop

the e-shop has lots of indie games but they are typically actual games, and not... whatever meme run qualifies as

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Sleeveless posted:

Maxis died when Will Wright decided he was more interested in building robots and fundraising for Republican politicians than making videogames. EA is just finally getting rid of the corpse.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

I'm finally playing mother 3 through for the first time and i just got to Leder's big exposition dump. okay, I guess. :shrug:

I think overall, it's a good game, but not as good as Earthbound for a lot of reasons. Like, the kind of game that the series is riffing on sort of didn't exist anymore when they made it, they tried to be hugely emotional right out of the bag, a lot of it is inappropriate creepy rather than weird and cool creepy. I dunno. It's still a really good game in my opinion and i am glad I played it. I like getting the 16 hit combos. I shouldn't have waited so long so i would have appropriate expectations.

first you poo poo on FF9, now you're making GBS threads on Mother 3. you're pushing your luck with me, bicyclops!!!!!

at least you like it, but really, it's so much better than EB and much more coherent

also does EB have kids doing shrooms?? no!!

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

reminder that shigesato itoi said that porky will still be alive after the heat death of the universe

he got the worst fate of all

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

you guys should be playing Eric the Unready, this game rules

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

gay skull posted:

How did he get that capsule anyway?

Or was that the same thing as he had at the end of Earthbound that I guess he bought with all his Monotoli money?

he forced jeff's dad to make it with science. he just never told porky that once you get in, there's absolutely no way to get out, and it's completely impenetrable. so he'll be floating in non-space long after the universe dies

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

i can't believe you guys are talking about patches for Mother games.

pussies

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

I liked Castle Crashers, the tedious beat-em-up TMNT clone with cartoon poop jokes for 4 players which went overpriced once it hit steam. maybe it was always overpriced, i dunno, I had a roommate who bought it for his x box. I would like more games like that, though, where you ram buttons and level up with friends.

I remember my friend and I being all excited to fill up all those weapon slots with hilarious items, too bad like 99% of them have lovely worthless stats. there are like a handful of swords actually worth a drat. also pick electric guy, always pick electric guy

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Whenever I see Bayonetta all I can think about is Hideki Kamiya trying as hard as he can not to jerk off to her but failing miserably, and then talking about blocking people on twitter or something.

It's the glasses that do it for him.

wikipedia posted:

She was additionally given glasses at Kamiya's insistence, intended to differentiate her from other female characters as well as give her a "sense of mystery and intelligence", though Shimazaki attributed it to possibly his preference for women with glasses.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

i wish people would get over her height. there was a perfectly normal reason for it

wiki again posted:

She was given longer legs and arms to make her more appealing as an action-game character, countering what Shimazaki felt was a trend of female characters in such games having short and thin limbs. Her limbs and the rest of her design were appealing to Kamiya, and development proceeded on the character's attire.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

that said we played through the whole game like 20 times, but that may have only been because of the boomerang level up glitch

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTPTYn01_h8

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

why don't people realize steam is a massive scam, oh boy another sale, can't wait to put 20 more games on my list of poo poo I'll Probably Never Even Install

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

roughly a third (about 36%) of all steam games are never played even once. fact

• Locked thread