Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
MP2 had the best boss fights. Quadraxis was rad as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

FactsAreUseless posted:

Counterpoint: The Xbox One is the new Colecovision, which was the console that caused the great video game crash by having the wrong kind of RAM and making every game you put in it just play E.T.
Hey man that was the Atari, the Colecovision did nothing wrong.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Kefka and Emperor Palamecia are far and away the best Final Fantasy villains.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Lurdiak posted:

Didn't a game made with RPG maker base assets make it into the wii shop at one point?

I was really confused to learn FF12 and something called Vanguard Story(I think) are supposed to take place in the same universe as FF tactics, because those games look nothing like it in any way shape or form and strike me as having pretty dramatically different tones.
Vagrant Story, and yeah they all take place in the same world of Ivalice, just many millennia apart.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
It's kind of surprising that EA is still around considering everything that they touch turns to poo poo. Must be all that sweet Madden money.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Or maybe Lucas Arts was sharing part of the burden.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Bugs Bunny Lost in Time for PS1 was a legit good game.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

corn in the bible posted:

i am boycotting ea for their lovely business practice of never releasing any games worth buying
Same.

Ubisoft at least has really good budget games.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Only Platinum Games should be allowed to use QTEs, they're literally the only time I've seen them used to do things which wouldn't be better done as an automatic animation or an actual gameplay sequence
Telltale also did some neat things with them in TWD Season 1.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

PantsBandit posted:

My friend and I need a new badass coop game to play. We finished Divinity, got burnt out on FC4 and though Portal 2 is fun it makes me feel stupid sometimes and I don't like that.

What are some sick nasty coop games. Preferably $15 or under.

Oh and we're definitely gonna get Hotline Miami 2, pumped for that.
Broforce, Battleblock Theatre, and Double Dragon Neon

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Excels posted:

doesn't it turn out at the end of mgs4 that ocelot was never actually hypnotized or controlled by liquid and he was faking it the entire time or something?
He was actually possessed by Liquid in 2 due to having latent spirit medium abilities thanks to his dad, The Sorrow. Before 4 he chops off Liquid's arm, get's a new one, and then just fakes being possessed in order to fool the Patriots.

Yeah...

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Man I played Way of the Samurai 3 because I thought from everything that I read it would be the type of game I'd love but I found it way too disjointed to get invested in.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

A Steampunk Gent posted:

They just did, it's called Codename STEAM. Apparently it's not very good though

^^ what that guy said
That sucks. It looked cool what with looking like a fusion between XCOM and Freedom Force with historical figures.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Final Fantasy hasn't been really good since 9. 12 was solid though.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
6 and 9 are both good games, though 6 is better.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Shadow Hearts is better than Final Fantasy anyway.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's a shame the series died and had a bad third game.
The third game had the best gameplay, it just had worse characters due to being more like a generic JRPG. Still good though.

God, Johnny was a bland as poo poo protagonist compared to Koudelka and Yuri.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

FactsAreUseless posted:

I want a Chrono Trigger remake that looks like DQ8 and gets rid of stupid minigame poo poo like chasing the rat, which is really the game's only issue.
Also give Crono dialogue, he really needs dialogue. His death would have been far more effective if he wasn't practicing for mime school the whole game.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Bicyclops posted:

The seething hatred for silent protagonists in video games has been consistent for about half a decade now, and it still makes absolutely no sense at all. Silent protagonists are fine.
They're not if you actually want to have a story and/or you don't have them emote to make up for their lack of talking like Mario in the RPGs. Half-Life 2 is awkward as hell for example because everybody talks to Gordon and he doesn't say anything.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

elf help book posted:

Stories are dumb.
They are good, video games just have been pretty bad with them. They're getting better though.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

this was my reaction because I unironically want all FPSs to be like Doom and not turn my character into a pussy bitch who loses sometimes
"Oh no I'm surrounded by ten guards, who I already killed dozens of already. Whelp time to surrender."

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Excels posted:

you just described the ending of ffvii crisis core
I thought it was more of a unending wave of enemies.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

A Steampunk Gent posted:

I think some games are good having silent protagonists and others are good having voiced characters. I spent alot of thinking this over and I'm pretty sure it's the best take on the subject
It is.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

gay skull posted:

Shenmue would have been a much worse game if Ryu were a mute
You have to perform a QTE in order for Ryu to pantomime looking for sailors.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Excels posted:

if samus never says another word in all the metroid games, i wouldn't mind at all
The Prime games did a quality job giving her personality without dialogue too.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
How is Nintendo making PC games a bad thing?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Excels posted:

it feels like the last company with a complete focus on quality console gaming has conceded that the console market can no longer sustain the company on its own
Gabe hungers.

This really isn't looking like a good gen for consoles. Like I was expecting PS4 to dominate a year or two back but now its just a whole lot of nothing like the rest of the consoles. Glad I stuck with PC.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Excels posted:

UPDATE: Kojima's Ground Zeroes cameo mission has been patched out of the PC version.

this is some far-reaching poo poo man
7/10, it made me reinstall the game and beat the mission again.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Lurdiak posted:

Sega's going to mobile, not to PC.
They've said they'll be focusing on PC as well.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Bicyclops posted:

Patching his content out of the PC version of a game is bizarrely petty though, although I wouldn't be surprised if that's him asking to be erased out of spite over whatever the disagreement was.
Excels was pulling our legs, the Save Kojima mission is in still in Ground Zeroes.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
If that day ever comes I immortalized Kojima in a Steam screenshot so his part in the game will never be forgotten.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Trochanter posted:

So WRT Kojima, how likely is it now he pulls an Inafune and funds his own games off Kickstarter?
I would be surprised if Sony or some other publisher didn't hire him on the spot. Kojima is a rather big name in the industry after all.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
You can tell Volition has fun making Saints Row. Rockstar, on the other hand, feels like really bitter middle-aged men who desperately want to be cool again.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Pretty much all the Mario Karts are good but I only really loved Double Dash.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
That's why Kefka's great, he's such an loathsome unapologetic rear end in a top hat that'll do anything to worm his way into power. He's a good balance of being a seemingly goofy buffoon and a serious threat as well.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Mar 22, 2015

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

FactsAreUseless posted:

Kefka's amazing because he's the scenery-chewing villain it what is basically an opera. It's why Kuja and Garland don't work as well in FF9. The game's designed to be theatrical but Kuja doesn't get developed until too late and doesn't get a really great scene. And Garland is, again, too late an addition. They both need a big loud moment to be crazy.
Yeah, its also neat how Kefka develops as a villain throughout the whole game. He starts off a goofy incompetent that the main cast just makes a fool of again and again, but then when he murders the people of Domah you realize that he was just putting on a facade and he wants people to think he's a moron. And then as the game goes on he's constantly clawing his way to the top to the point where backstabs the Emperor and becomes the main villain. You really don't get that much in video games, especially in Final Fantasies where the villains are pretty much non-entities or barely appear until the end of the game.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
As JRPG villains go Lavos was cool in the sense of being an ever-present, looming and alien threat. Also the whole storming The Black Omen is like one of the most climatic feeling endings I've played in a game. Chrono Trigger's writing ain't mindblowing at all but they really managed to make it feel like a fun grand adventure that I don't feel a lot of games successfully capture.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Mar 22, 2015

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Dork Souls.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

The Colonel posted:

I stand by my opinion that the first three Ratchet & Clanks are awesome and A Crack in Time is only okay
Tools of Destruction was just as good as the original trilogy which I agree are all great. Deadlocked is the weakest of the four but still solid. I never played anything past Tools.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I really liked the stuff building up to + the end of Planescape Torment, that's my favorite final boss in an rpg
Agreed. Talking down the final boss is also far more climatic and rewarding than just fighting him too.

• Locked thread