Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

some games releasing this month which i have mild interest in but will probably not purchase include mario v. donkey kong, mario party 10, and sid meier's starships.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

are there any good 4X space games released recently so they are all pretty? i only know about the sid meier one because of brand recognition and i am guessing it will probably be a bit mediocre.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Problem Sleuth posted:

Endless Space was pretty good

Hm, thanks. Maybe that's one for me to consider once i get through some more hyrule warriors and beat mother 3.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

whoa! Page one and we've got a Brad Wardell game. starting off with a bang here. :munch:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

he had access to bees because he is an amateur beekeeper, and a goober.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Brad: To the beemobile!!

*brad leaves to the parking lot, only to find his car was towed because he parked it in a handicapped space and proudly posted pictures of it on twitter*

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Stardock application, question 7: Was you ever bit by a dead bee?

(Question is accompanied by a clip of quagmire grabbing the breasts of a woman in a bee suit, on Family Guy)

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Original context of that photo is that one of the spaces our man Brad is taking up is a handicap space iirc

And he's proud of it, because he is literally a seinfeld character.

Stardock bought the rights to Star Control and have been twiddling their thumbs about it, which isn't really a surprise, but I maintain the vague hope that they'll sell it to Toys for Bob and get Ford and Reiche off their NFC figures obsession (it will not happen)

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Adam Bowen posted:

Who the gently caress cares, GalCiv games are good games

the bee thing is real funny though

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Gal Civ looks okay from a glance. My issue with 4X space is that they all do, and it's kind of hard to tell which one I should really go for if I'm targeting one.

i still don't trust Stardock to handle my irrelevant, 23 year old pet franchise, though.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

ArfJason posted:

gay human being piss!!!

is that a new indie steam title?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Black Baby Goku posted:

He clicked your post history

FactsAreUseless posted:

Just beat Metroid Prime again. I've decided I don't like the Meta-Ridley right. The last part is incredibly tedious. Metroid Prime'a a fun fight though.

that's actually my least favorite part of the game as well.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

codenameFANGIO posted:

Drawing the map yourself for OG Metroid also owns.

lol i did this the first time i played, and even wrote stuff like "missile door here, come back with missiles, etc."

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

i used to stare at those big maps with all the armor and monsters and cave that came with the Dragon Warrior cartridges forever.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

wait, duck hunt has an ending? i thought it just went on and on forever, until ducks escaped and dog laughed at you.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

d'oh! Taint reaaaaaperrrrrrr!!! :argh:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

i played the first harvest moon years after it came out and i'll get the best ending one of these days if i can actually get past feeding my cows endlessly and doing nothing else for 3 seasons.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

should i buy a new harvest moon for my wife or will she disappear for two years into the land of farms?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The first one was all about cheating by talking to the women 800 times and doing all your work at night so you could use the hot springs and not worry about time management at all.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Some of the math errors in original FF6 were fun though, you could get 99 illuminas using the invisibility/sketch bug.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Also, i forget if it was that magic block literally did nothing and just used your regular block % or the other way around, but it made a ton of weapons and shields ridiculously overpowered. I love final fantasy broken math, and it is probably why I played so much FF8

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

ff6 version differences: the many states of siren's undress

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I want to be the guy who was in charge of localization, whose jobs included hiring a sprite artist to draw shorts on siren's butt, and to pay Woolsey whatever they paid him, which was probably very little.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Siren is in FF6? Aren't you thinking of FF5?

She's one of the first 4 Espers you get :confused:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I like his translation of Azala dying better than the real one actually, where she just says "The future. We... have no future." i don't remember what the real one was.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

what possible reason could anyone have for playing the original TMNT? like, are you going to play color-a-dinosaur next?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Woolsey, don't translate so fast! You might make a mistake. It's okay to wait.

Woolsey: Wait, he says. Do I look like a waiter?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

9's the only one i didn't finish because the math is boring, the story is bad even for final fantasy, everything is really slow, it's the definition of trying to sell strategy guides that come from that era, the biggest minigame is terrible and doesn't interact with actual gameplay in the form of rewards, and the characters have weird animal tails. it is considerably worse that 7, 8 and 10, and virtual boy color is quite wrong.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

i should qualify: i never played 13 or either of those online ones.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Excels posted:

this is like atrociously wrong opinion central around here, what the gently caress.

it's not the central opinion, ff9 is always talked up as some kind of singular outlier of good in the series. final fantasy games are all objectively pretty flawed so it's a matter of taste, but i don't get how people can stand it. it has all the worst ugliness, design-wise of the 32 bit era and the "it takes until at least disc 3 before you get off the rails and get to do anything interesting" is definitely the worst in 9, even worse than 7 and 10.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

i am talking about the card game, not hot and cold treasure hunting.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

i will admit that the slog to get to the point where you're actually making choices, doing sidequests and screwing with everyone's stats, instead of watching a long movie and pressing X over and over again is similar in 9 and 10, but i can stomach 10, even with the bad direction they gave the voice actors, and 9 is just dull and off-putting.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

lol, that's some old school poo poo. pac man kill screened for breaking the final fantasy mini-game

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

a lot of this stuff is just a matter of taste, anyway. blitzball is really goddamn stupid but i never cared, and i pressed the stupid buttons to pass the ball around for countless while the blue bears and gogglepeople stared dully back at the screen. plus i'm slowly playing through dragon quest 3 right now so who am i to criticize your favorite final fantasy. it is not mine, but claiming it is good while the others are garbage is quite wrong.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Excels posted:

i will concede FF8 had a way better airship than 9 did. psychic town destroying blimp is cool and all, but crazy red spaceship full of gator aliens is the epitome of a Sweet Ride

ff8 also lets you screw around pretty early in the game, because you basically only need 3-4 GFs, a few abilities, and to play some cards to start doing poo poo like junctioning death to Stat atk-J or something broken to str-J, so that you can more or less literally go through the whole game without summoning and watching the summoning animations.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The Taint Reaper posted:

I'm sorry I just really don't care to distinguish between different kinds of terrible games.

*goes back to playing self-admitted garbage NES cartridges, and comparing them in this thread*

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Hog Inspector posted:

which dragon quests are good. i never really played them beyond the first

i'm playing the remake of 3 right now, which is way better than the original. i only played the first four, of those, i think 3 is the best, followed by 1, then 2, then 4.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

were any of the mana games any good after secret of mana? that's one of my favorite snes games but i think it's only because of the 2P functionality

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Heavy Lobster posted:

legend of mana is the best, and in fact only good, mana game

can you play it with a friend?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

maybe i will try to find a copy that my brother and i can play, so that when i die and the SoM ice country music plays in the letter that i leave him, he will have yet another memory.

• Locked thread