Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Clay Fighter's coming back, I want to trap the devs of Clay Fighter 64 in a room and force them to explain this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OzM3nGjegQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

FactsAreUseless posted:

FFIX is insanely good I just wish it had character-specific sidequests at the end.

I didn't really like the item leveling up mechanic, and it really bugged me I couldn't switch Zidane out of the party.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Teenage homophobia aside, Kuja has an atrocious character design, and is a pretty boring villain.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I felt pretty ripped off when the hidden megaboss turned out to be a beach ball.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Bicyclops posted:

i will admit that the slog to get to the point where you're actually making choices, doing sidequests and screwing with everyone's stats, instead of watching a long movie and pressing X over and over again is similar in 9 and 10, but i can stomach 10, even with the bad direction they gave the voice actors, and 9 is just dull and off-putting.

10 lost me in like a half-hour. At least 9 has the sugar coating of being a love letter to FF1 and FF4 to sugarcoat the unfun mechanics and boring plot. 10 is just loving atrocious from moment one.

Like I get that it's hard to argue which FF is the best because they basically changed genres every few games and are hard to compare but I really think FF9 and 10 are a lot closer to FF13 than it is to FF6 as an experience.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Mar 4, 2015

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

FF9 is also the first video game where I remember being genuinely annoyed by cutscenes and overly long bad dialogue, another sign of things to come for the franchise.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Like when the FF4 DS port was being made, one of the devs gave an interview where he explained that he felt like you could get away with cliched and hammy storytelling when you had it as little sprites who fall over and disappear to show that they died and short dialogue. People would get the core of what you're conveying and fill in the blanks. But if you start going on and on and having lavishly produced cutscenes and extremely long dialogue sequences, suddenly people are gonna just examine your story in detail and all the flaws are going to stand out. You're not making the storytelling better by doing this, you're just making it take up more space in the experience.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Didn't a game made with RPG maker base assets make it into the wii shop at one point?

Ambivalent posted:

for real though, FFTactics is one of my favorite games of all time....

Version is a hard question because the PS1 translation is really really rough in some spots and some concepts are just flat out not conveyed well at all, but the Lion War (PSP and iOS) translation got really worked to crank up the 'knaves' and 'thous'.

I did like how it turns political squabble/succession crisis -> being used by the church to advance its power -> being used to advance political power -> actually being used to advance magical power, it is like a huge cynical double double feint that teaches you the world is poo poo and nobody believes what they say, everyone is exploited - even the exploiters - and our world is a sin-cursed hell

should i spoiler that

I was really confused to learn FF12 and something called Vanguard Story(I think) are supposed to take place in the same universe as FF tactics, because those games look nothing like it in any way shape or form and strike me as having pretty dramatically different tones.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It's a shame LOTRO is so similar to WoW as to make people not bother since they're already playing WoW, since it does a lot of the basic WoW stuff better than Blizzard, and as a bonus, the writing is merely kind of boring instead of brain-damagingly stupid.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

BottledBodhisvata posted:

This is a pro watch.

I dunno man, that "____ react" poo poo got old like 3 years ago. It's the video version of a buzzfeed clickbait thing. You won't believe how this child reacts to thing you like!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Character Action is "I like this 3D beatemup more than the other ones, so it's character action"

If it wasn't that, God of War would count.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Bicyclops posted:

I liked Castle Crashers, the tedious beat-em-up TMNT clone with cartoon poop jokes for 4 players which went overpriced once it hit steam. maybe it was always overpriced, i dunno, I had a roommate who bought it for his x box. I would like more games like that, though, where you ram buttons and level up with friends.

Castle Crashers isn't exactly a good beat-em-up but the online 4-player co-op and unlockable characters go a long way.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Golden Goat posted:

The unlockable characters only differences were in magic and half the time the spells were poo poo.

I know, but it still feels neat to unlock characters in a game. It's one of the greatest joys in life.

e:

Bayo being some kind of sex symbol is really alien to me. I mean yeah she strip teases and all that stuff but she looks like a cross between Janine from ghostbusters and a mutant giraffe.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Mar 10, 2015

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Nasgate posted:

:agreed:

Borderlands and diablo-likes would be actually enjoyable if the legendary, cool looking weapons and armor with useful or neat effects were every drop. Instead of having to manage your inventory of a million useless pointy sticks.

I'd like a game where you can merge crappy weapons to randomly generate a less crappy one, and then merge those into better stuff and so 100 poo poo-covered sticks could be combined into something radical with a really rare drop rate.

Instead you can sell the crappy weapons to fund repairs for your one actually good one. :/

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

I feel the same way about grinds but despite that I love Monster Hunter to death

This is probably because at least the gameplay remains good fun while you're trying to get that fifth Rathalos Dick for your next spear

I really wish they'd cut out the parts where you have to pick up plants and poo poo.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Splatoon had a lot of groundswell at PAX apparently.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The politicians say they're right

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Correction, it's pretty fun when you're playing as Claire and Moira because at least Moira can smack a fool zombie in the face with a crowbar when the flashlight fails to stun them in time. Natalia has the amazing brick and the ability to help with stealth kills and seeing the invisible bug assholes but otherwise player 2 doesn't have much to do as her other than crawl around and pointing at poo poo.

Asymmetrical co-op owns, I wanna see more of it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It's the best part of any Metal Gear that isn't 4.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

precision posted:

There's an old saying: everyone understands Mario. Few people understand Zelda. And nobody understands Metal Gear.

You have to take that poo poo in stride. Revolver Ocelot alone constantly contradicts everything he says or does anytime he says or does a new thing.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

PantsBandit posted:

I have a framed picture of batman and feel no shame in it because why should I feel bad for loving batman?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8l1PMVvfjDM

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Big Scary Owl posted:

Why will it be terrible? It seems alright from what they showed us so far.

It's called Final Fantasy, that's a pretty good indicator it's gonna blow.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

gay skull posted:

Also I couldn't think of any Irish games, or anything really very "green" to play for St Patrick's Day. I guess I coulda played the Flogging Molly songs in Guitar Hero but gently caress it I burnt out on that game years ago

Super Luigi U

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Ambivalent posted:

conversely, I've played FFT a lot and even got some of the romhacks for it that change a bunch of stuff around, the hard mode/better AI hacks, custom/updated sprite hacks, etc.

game is awesome

I only tried to play that game once and one of my units permanently died on the first map, then a treasure chest disappeared before I could get to it, and I was like "Yeah I'm going back to playing WCW vs NWO revenge"

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Cashing in on Wreck-It Ralph, eh?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The Taint Reaper posted:

People complained that his jokes were too racey which is what he doesn't do poo poo like "They're all gonna Laugh at you" anymore. It was either do very mindnumbing safe comedies or be fired.

Adam Sandler was someone who's entire career was based on kicking political correctness to the curb. Once he couldn't do that anymore he lost his inner fire.

the gently caress are you talking about, this is a man who still makes "lesbians are butch" jokes and made a movie where the inciting incident is a kid loving his teacher

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

You know I think Metal Gear Rising and Godhand are my favorite Platinum/Clover brawler games because they don't have a loving goddamn space shooter section crammed into them. Suda51 does this poo poo too and it drives me insaaaaane. The gimmick is only amusing the first time around, it kills repeat playthroughs.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Golden Goat posted:

You know it'd be nice if they did it like Panzer dragoon and made it all scenic and control a lot better but it's such a lovely shooting gallery.

Like I want to love Wonderful 101 and those bits where you fly around are really cool and dramatic the first time but on repeat playthroughs it's just loving torture because there's so many of them and they're so bad and no matter how many main-game upgrades you got you get zero advantage during them. I just want to surgically rip them out of every single game.

At least have the loving decency to not rank me on that poo poo.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

it's really good that the best and coolest boss fight in Bayonetta is at the end of the most protracted and terrible one of these yet

Revengeance still managed to cram in a 20-second space harrier bit in the Sundowner boss fight, it wasn't really a problem but they just can't loving help themselves lmao

:laffo: I didn't even think about that section.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdxRTLA0r4s

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Silent Hills is hosed now I guess. :/

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Excels posted:

He said prior to GZ that he was putting a lot of "taboo" mature themes into MGS5 and prioritizing his personal vision/creativity over profits, and "if I fail, I will probably have to leave the industry."

so bottom line, Kojima stepped over the line or something and brought the wrath of shareholders or Konami execs or something, and now they're writing him off entirely. apparently kojima is now officially considered an "independent contractor" and their 'contract' with Konami will formally end this December.

That's still a lot of blanks to fill in.

Maybe once the game comes out it'll be a really blatant story condemning Japan for not supporting gay marriage or something, but as of now all that basically could mean anything.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Big Scary Owl posted:

Maybe it's some kind of publicity stunt?

Oreo announces they have put poop in all their cookies.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Sega's going to mobile, not to PC.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I hope he goes to work for Grasshopper studios.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

If you find one, let me know.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

FactsAreUseless posted:

I wasn't aware video games could be "too scary."

First person pure horror can feel more stressful than engaging, whether it's jump-scare based or not. It's pretty much due to how our brains process interactive medium differently than non-interactive mediums. It's been described to me as "feeling like you're driving in really lovely conditions and have to pay attention super hard, then a seagull hits your windshield", which does in fact not sound pleasant.

I am extremely brave so I've never experienced this myself.

CJacobs posted:

As a long-time fan and apologist of the series I really hope Silent Hills doesn't suck. It's been a long time since there's been a Silent Hill game that wasn't stuck in a divisive hell between "it's really not that bad you guys" and "this is the game that kills the series".

My secret controversial Silent Hill opinion is that I think that Silent Hill 2 is really good at being everything but a horror title. That poo poo isn't scary at all.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Bicyclops posted:

I think some of the story elements and weird head stuff is very good horror stuff, but once you've mashed the button to stab a hundred of the weird faceless zombie creatures, i kind of feel like it loses its impact, which is why i kind of prefer the horror to the survival aspect.

I mean it has its moments, like that hallway with the inexplicable creepy grinding noise, but I feel like Resident Evil Remake blows it out of the water as a "survival horror" experience. There's not as much to talk about once you're done, but it's more effective in the moment.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Bicyclops posted:

The thing I really liked about the Wii one was whenever the bad genital monsters showed up, you just had to loving run. sometimes you could like, find a way to freeze one of them or something, but there was no way to murder the weird, metaphorical mind creatures. The mechanics behind it were not spectacularly fleshed out, but I feel like if more people would experiment with it, they could do some neat stuff

I never played that one, but I heard a lot of people complain about how the harsh division between the safe and unsafe zones hurt the tension in the game. It's like "Oh, I can stop being scared now".

I've gone on many a rant about how the Safe Rooms in the RE games are an amazing mechanic because they're basically fixed stress relief points that you desperately want to get to, and once you're in there you have to kind of psych yourself up to go back out, meaning you never really get to commit to the danger and tough it out like you would in a more action-focused game. Being able to get respite from the spookiness and listen to calming music actually makes the spookiness worse once you go back to it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The Colonel posted:

The issue with that whole part of Shattered Memories, to my understanding, is it's not so much about psyching yourself out to go into the scary stuff again and more that you're walking around and then you enter scary world, and then you escape scary world for a while until scary world happens again.

Yeah I was contrasting it with the RE mechanic, not saying it was the same, sorry if I wasn't clear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Star Citizen is terrible, but I'm gonna be honest, I'm really jealous of Roberts for realising that you can make infinite money off lovely nerds forever just by drawing an imaginary spaceship every week or so and letting people order it for absurd prices in a game that doesn't exist.

I also sometimes wish I was equal parts cunning and sociopathic, I'd be so rich and happy.

• Locked thread