Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

apistat posted:

Is this going to be a cycle of brood-specific enchantments (and the end of the Ascendancy/Siege/x megacycle), or just the general representation of the DRAGONSTORMS :black101:?

Man please don't say the name of a really cool card to refer to a really lame enchantment :eng99:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

apistat posted:

Is this going to be a cycle of brood-specific enchantments (and the end of the Ascendancy/Siege/x megacycle), or just the general representation of the DRAGONSTORMS :black101:?

Nah it's just the mandatory goofy do-nothing red rare enchantment.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Man, it's like two mana for a hasted Bird of Paradise. Think of the value.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

So who killed Sidisi? Has that been explained? Are all the Khans going to be undead (or dead) besides Narset?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Entropic posted:

I think its there to be the thing that pisses you off when you open it in draft. Granted, I could be wrong, but WOTC doesn't seem too keen on dragons that cost less than 5 CMC anyways, so I just assume it will be too hard to really build a limited deck around the type.

mr. mephistopheles posted:

So who killed Sidisi? Has that been explained? Are all the Khans going to be undead (or dead) besides Narset?

Its just the Silumgar/Sultai who make zombies. Surrak, the Hunt Caller is (apparently) alive, and we know for a fact that Zurgo, the Bell-Ringer is alive (and way less badass).

apistat
Nov 4, 2004

Meet you on the roof?

Entropic posted:

Not complicated enough. I'm sure there's going to be something that costs more and does it randomly.

Spiderdrake posted:

Man, it's like two mana for a hasted Bird of Paradise. Think of the value.

Two Time Walks.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

apistat posted:

There's no watermark, so the latter.

Entropic posted:

You know, this is actually one of the better ones because it's cheap and actually kind of does something.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

So far all we know is that Sidisi is a zombie sidekick, Zurgo has been demoted from helm-smashing to bell-ringing and Narset has glowy eyes. No word on Annie or Surrak Bear-Botherer yet.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

I think they just have the Khans as various not-Khans. In the Khans future the naga rule over the Sultai and in Dragons the best of them has been reduced to a zombie. Surrak has become the Huntmaster and kind of a huge racist? Taigam is with the Ojutai this time around and Zurgo is the Bellringer for the Kolaghan. Only person we don't know about is Anafenza.

Angry Grimace posted:

I think its there to be the thing that pisses you off when you open it in draft. Granted, I could be wrong, but WOTC doesn't seem too keen on dragons that cost less than 5 CMC anyways, so I just assume it will be too hard to really build a limited deck around the type.

With all the dragons they have in the set, I don't think it will be useless in draft, but not something you'd p1p1, y'know?

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp
Hell, I'm not sure the Silumgar have any live servants whatsoever. Seems the Sultai let the naga and many humans keep their lives, at least.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Elyv posted:

You know, this is actually one of the better ones because it's cheap and actually kind of does something.

Yeah. Probably won't pop up in limited unless you pull this and have a deck that's 40% dragons, but this looks pretty fantastic for a casual tribal deck and let's face it, 50% of casual decks are tribal decks.

Starving Autist posted:

Hell, I'm not sure the Silumgar have any live servants whatsoever. Seems the Sultai at least let the naga and many humans keep their lives, at least.

Even for an elder dragon that's ridiculously powerful, that seems highly unsustainable. They probably just pick up the dead from battle as a nice added bonuses to whatever fights they win.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Spin the MTG plot wheel and get, Phyrexians??? No that can't be right. Spin again and come up with Nicol Bolas. PErfect.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Entropic posted:

So far all we know is that Sidisi is a zombie sidekick, Zurgo has been demoted from helm-smashing to bell-ringing and Narset has glowy eyes. No word on Annie or Surrak Bear-Botherer yet.

Surrak, the Hunt Caller is referenced on the alternate-art Ugin's Fate cards.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

bhsman posted:

I think they just have the Khans as various not-Khans. In the Khans future the naga rule over the Sultai and in Dragons the best of them has been reduced to a zombie. Surrak has become the Huntmaster and kind of a huge racist? Taigam is with the Ojutai this time around and Zurgo is the Bellringer for the Kolaghan. Only person we don't know about is Anafenza.

Yeah, this was what I called last thread after the Uncharted Realms article(not that it was hard to figure out at that point).

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

I'm pretty sure if Tasigur isn't an artifact in Dragons I'm going to cry irl.

E: Tasigur the Bling - 4

2T: Turn your graveyard facedown, shuffle it, then put the top card into your hand.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I'm going to enjoy killing new Sidisi in response to her trigger, just like the old sidisi :smugmrgw:

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Ramos posted:

Even for an elder dragon that's ridiculously powerful, that seems highly unsustainable. They probably just pick up the dead from battle as a nice added bonuses to whatever fights they win.

I'm serious, the only non-zombies we've seen so far there are the dragons themselves. What seems unsustainable is bothering to let any of your underlings live when they'd be much more dependable and lower maintenance as zombies. It's very much in black's flavor to view all your subordinates as utterly disposable, makes sense to me. :shrug:

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Starving Autist posted:

I'm serious, the only non-zombies we've seen so far there are the dragons themselves. What seems unsustainable is bothering to let any of your underlings live when they'd be much more dependable and lower maintenance as zombies. It's very much in black's flavor to view all your subordinates as utterly disposable, makes sense to me. :shrug:

I think the women(?) standing at guard in front of Silumgar are alive, in any case.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Starving Autist posted:

I'm serious, the only non-zombies we've seen so far there are the dragons themselves.
The first Silumgar card we saw was a human speaking to Silumgar so nope, already seen non-zombies.

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?name=grim+haruspex

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Spiderdrake posted:

The first Silumgar card we saw was a human speaking to Silumgar so nope, already seen non-zombies.

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?name=grim+haruspex

Does that represent a version from the past of FRF or from the alternate future of DTK? I mean, things can change if you give them 1000 years.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

I'm pretty sure if Tasigur isn't an artifact in Dragons I'm going to cry irl.

E: Tasigur the Bling - 4

2T: Turn your graveyard facedown, shuffle it, then put the top card into your hand.

I really want him to be a color shifted Squee. It wont happen though.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
I apparently missed pages of argument over new Sidisi, so I'll just say that upon first look, she seems loving awesome and I can't wait to text her out. 4/6 Deathtouch for 5 is already very solid value, and the exploit makes her nuts, especially post board when your deck is potentially full of silver bullets.

The white 7cmc return permanent to battlefield I'm less hot on, as that's an expensive cost for a not very consistent effect. It's not easy to manipulate your graveyard to have 2 permanents worth that cost.

Are new Silumgar and old Silumgar affected by the Legendary rule?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

qbert posted:

I apparently missed pages of argument over new Sidisi, so I'll just say that upon first look, she seems loving awesome and I can't wait to text her out. 4/6 Deathtouch for 5 is already very solid value, and the exploit makes her nuts, especially post board when your deck is potentially full of silver bullets.

The white 7cmc return permanent to battlefield I'm less hot on, as that's an expensive cost for a not very consistent effect. It's not easy to manipulate your graveyard to have 2 permanents worth that cost.

Are new Silumgar and old Silumgar affected by the Legendary rule?

No. The Legendary rule requires the same English-equivalent name. Unlike the Planeswalker rule, the Legendary rule doesn't care about type.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Solemn wasn't in m11.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Kyrosiris posted:

I'm still calling him Scrooge McDragon and no one will stop me.

It's Slumdog Dragonnaire or we're fighting.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Nehru the Damaja posted:

It's Slumdog Dragonnaire or we're fighting.

Scrooge McDragon is vastly superior.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Starving Autist posted:

Does that represent a version from the past of FRF or from the alternate future of DTK? I mean, things can change if you give them 1000 years.
Morph doesn't exist in the past and neither does Surrak, so while I agree, I believe that was supposed to be a peek at the alt future.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

The Rockefellar Drake.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Scrooge McDragon is vastly superior.

That clearly belongs with Hoarding Dragon or Covetous Dragon.

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master
Megamorph is pretty dumb, it would work fine as regular morph with a "When ~ is turned face up, put a +1/+1 counter on it."

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

But that works with manifest and megamorph specifically doesn't.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

bhsman posted:

I think the women(?) standing at guard in front of Silumgar are alive, in any case.

It's hard to tell, they don't look obviously decomposed, but their skin does look a bit greenish. They don't exactly seem to be full of life, I guess.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

redstormpopcorn posted:

Megamorph is pretty dumb, it would work fine as regular morph with a "When ~ is turned face up, put a +1/+1 counter on it."

But you can't sell a themed set of triggers as a new mechanic if you don't put a fancy word on it. See also most non-keyword ability words.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

redstormpopcorn posted:

If you read Maro's article, they were clearly flailing about for an "alternate twist on Morph" mechanic, tried a whole bunch of stuff, and ended up so close to where they started that they might as well not have bothered giving it a new name, but by that time they were probably well into development and already pretty committed to the idea that it would be a new mechanic.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

How ironic that Scrooge McDragon is probably a dollar mythic.

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master

odiv posted:

But that works with manifest and megamorph specifically doesn't.

Right, okay. "When ~'s morph cost is paid, etc etc."

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Angry Grimace posted:

How ironic that Scrooge McDragon is probably a dollar mythic.

He's destabilizing the set's economy to make his own wealth more valuable.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Oh, I wasn't nitpicking, just pointing out an important difference. I'd actually prefer it synergize well with Manifest, but that probably broke something in testing.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Instead of Megamorph they should have added a third mechanic that allows you to play facedown cards and flip them. Make this block as complicated as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

redstormpopcorn posted:

I want to think that the shortcut is useful somewhere or that there might be a card with both megamorph and morph at some point.

• Locked thread