Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
So do we get refer to the dragons as e.g. "Dromoka the Elder" and "Dromoka the Younger"? Except Silumgar the Elder who shall be known as Jabba.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Are there actually people mad about the Tarkir dragons being let into the Elder club because of ~*~nebulous lore reasons ~*~ why they aren't deserving of the title?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Zoness posted:

I am going to make zero-effort push for these names:

Duomoka
Atwoka
Odeuxjai

and Jabba

Don't forget 2 Stormy 2 Furious

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

apistat posted:

Is this going to be a cycle of brood-specific enchantments (and the end of the Ascendancy/Siege/x megacycle), or just the general representation of the DRAGONSTORMS :black101:?

Nah it's just the mandatory goofy do-nothing red rare enchantment.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

mr. mephistopheles posted:

So who killed Sidisi? Has that been explained? Are all the Khans going to be undead (or dead) besides Narset?

So far all we know is that Sidisi is a zombie sidekick, Zurgo has been demoted from helm-smashing to bell-ringing and Narset has glowy eyes. No word on Annie or Surrak Bear-Botherer yet.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

redstormpopcorn posted:

Megamorph is pretty dumb, it would work fine as regular morph with a "When ~ is turned face up, put a +1/+1 counter on it."

If you read Maro's article, they were clearly flailing about for an "alternate twist on Morph" mechanic, tried a whole bunch of stuff, and ended up so close to where they started that they might as well not have bothered giving it a new name, but by that time they were probably well into development and already pretty committed to the idea that it would be a new mechanic.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/latest-developments/days-future-future-fate-reforged-2015-02-27
Whenever they post FFL decklists I always wonder how much it's warped by things having different stats or mana costs or what have you in development. Some of their lists just look obviously weird. A UB control deck that runs Temporal Tresspass and Worst Fears but only 2 Dig Through Time?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Edict probably got replaced by the Flashbag Marauder reprint.

It's interesting that they apparently are able to make some pretty good guesses at the rough outlines of what the top archetypes will be, they just get a lot of fundamental stuff wrong in their builds. Which is fine. I mean, they're not trying to predict the exact pro tour lists, they just want to have some idea of what the format is going to look like and if any particular cards or strategies are just too good.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

forbidden lesbian posted:

That U/B control deck has Cruel Edict in it...just pointing it out, deffo not saying it's gonna get reprinted in Dragons or anything...

It says right underneath the decklist that Cruel Edict was originally in Fate Reforged but got cut.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Why is Athreos still 10 bucks when it hasn't show up in any competitive deck anywhere? Is it an EDH thing?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I think Athreos is still 10$ just because enough people bought them for $25 at release and don't want to admit they were wrong.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Angry Grimace posted:

I'm pretty sure the issue is that development over-values extra turns. Time Warp is not a busted card.
People get weird about Power 9 effects. Remember Time Reversal?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
If elfball is a deck, can Dragonball be a deck? Pretty please?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Gyshall posted:

That thing is an absolute house. The art is kind of meh but I assume it is a dragon and not a pheonix?

You got a problem with hot pink dragons, dude? :smaug:

I'm definitely going to be calling it "Pinky".

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Symphonie posted:

now argue about this one
What are you killing with this that Valorous Stance doesn't hit?

I guess Mantis Rider, Rakshasa Deathdealer, and Fleecemane Lion.

Entropic fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Mar 3, 2015

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Gods too, but no one's playing any of the multicolor ones except the odd Pharika here and there.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I kind of like how all the removal in Standard these days is pretty efficient, but pretty specific, so you really have to make a meta call on what combination of Hero's Downfalls, Bile Blights, Lightning Strikes, Valorous Stances, Banishing Lights, Suspension Fields, Murderous Cuts, etc. you run with.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

STiL. posted:

Is anyone else... unexcited about the flavour of this set? Not necessarily about Neckbeard the Dragonspeaker searching for his waifu that he met the one time, but about the set as a whole. Since the conclusion of the story-arc concerning Ugin already happened, what story is there left to tell? We're just going to see dumb dragons and the idiots serving the dumb dragons; there's no conflict left to keep me interested especially considering we can assume that the status quo has been upheld for 1200 years.

I realize that I shouldn't be expecting compelling drama from my children's cardgame, but I'm feeling a lack of it considering any narrative the block had has already been told.

Don't worry there will be more flavor articles to advance Sarkhan's big dragon adventure.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Angry Grimace posted:

Hero's Downfall is the most generic removal spell I can think of that isn't Vindicate.

It's not as efficient as some of the others though. There's a reason some decks run Murderous Cut instead. They're trading the ability to straight up murder a planeswalker for the ability to kill a creature for 1 or 2 mana less. Not to mention the BB in the cost if you're a Mardu deck or something. It's not a no-brainer to shove four Hero's Downfall in any black deck.

Entropic fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Mar 3, 2015

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

TheKingofSprings posted:

I'm disappointed as poo poo that the second planeswalker's looking like a new Sarkhan.

I was hoping for a new Bolas, but they would have been hyping his part in the story way more by this point if that was the case.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Mikujin posted:

Did Renounce the Guilds even see play the first time around? Because I can't see Renounce the Guilds 2: Dragon Boogaloo being much better.

Not really. But that one was symmetric.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
That green mythic is almost good. With it and Elvish Mystic you can get to 6 mana on turn 3. But the creature-only clause is lame, even the green ramp deck wants to cast planeswalkers and Shamanic Revelations. The other ability looked really cool until I realized it cost eleven loving mana. Not even the Nykthos decks are into that.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
If there were Titans or something in this format that green mythic might be worth it, but as is, 6 mana on turn 3 just isn't that much better than 5 right now. The big green deck is trying to ramp out things like Whisperwood Elemental, Polukranos, Arbor Colossus... I suppose it can get you Hornet queen a turn earlier. 5 mana seems to be the sweet spot for early ramp rather than 6 right now though. Maybe there'll be a super sweet green dragon at 6 though.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
All these rares are looking really strong for limited. If you hated that in FRF the rare was a windmill slam obvious first pick at least a third of the time, this set is probably going to be the same. We've seen like 8 or 9 rare dragons so far and they almost all look good-to-amazing.

bhsman posted:

Silumgar's Command will probably be Kill target monocolored creature/draw 2 discard 1/counter target instant or sorcery/target player discards 2 cards.

They really don't like to do instant speed discard.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Devor posted:

I feel like it would be more than a turn earlier to help you cast Hornet Queen. Even with Courser, is it common to make all your land drops for 8 turns in a row?

Turn 1 Mystic, turn two Caryatid, Turn 3 Xenagos, turn 4 Hornet queen is not at all unrealstic for the G/r devotion deck.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I can see "counter your burn spell, gain 4 life" being good against a red deck that's trying to burn you out before you can stabilize.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

mcmagic posted:

Ojutai's Command would be much better for constructed if it was Counter Target Non-Creature Spell...

Welcome to "I am bad at reading cards" season.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I'm actually into the big dumb Sultai dragon.

All the five mana ones are super good first picks in draft.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

TheKingofSprings posted:

I'm what world is Goblinslide better than just casting a Hordeling Outburst

Magical Christmas World.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
So what percentage of the rares in this set are going to be dragons? 50? 70?
I wanna see the uncommon dragons already.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
They should just keep having different planeswalkers go back in time to change things so we end up with a series of alternate Tarkirs every time the timeline changes. Dragons of Tarkir. Snakes of Tarkir. Bearlords of Tarkir. Dogs of Tarkir. Elk-men of Tarkir.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I dunno, wouldn't two activations of Memory Adept basically always be fatal against a 30 card deck? Seems more like 0: Target player gains 5 poison counters or the Tezz/Vault combo in Vintage.

Yeah, even in forty card land, by the time Jace hits the table your opponent has at most 28 or so cards in their deck, so it's a 3 turn clock. In Thirty card it's a one card two-turn clock, which is insane.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Angry Grimace posted:

Ugin's gonna be so pissed off when he wakes ups and finds out that the Mending happened at some point and now he's way less powerful than he was before.

Worst hangover ever.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
When do we get to see Vial of Dragonfire? My money's still on "just as unplayable as Heartpiercer Bow".

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Rinkles posted:

Changes

F2P Magic game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUjnNUy0H1I

"Enter the world’s most popular strategy game with Magic Duels™ Origins, an all-new, free-to-play digital experience. Build powerful decks from an ever-growing collection of earnable cards, and sharpen your skills in a variety of unique solo and multiplayer modes. Begin your adventure here!"

http://news.xbox.com/2015/03/games-idxbox-gdc-2015

"Magic the Gathering: F2P (Wizards of the Coast): The world’s most beloved collectible card game goes free-to-play! It will make its console debut first on Xbox one"

So this is just Duels of the Planeswalkers 2016, right?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Are there clear sleeves designed to go over top of normal sized sleeves (which could have perfect fits inside them already) to protect them or did I just imagine that in a fever dream?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Of course if you want to be fully protected you put each of those triple-sleeved cards inside a hard toploader.

I mean, sure, your deck will be ten inches tall, but you can't be too careful.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I guess if you have really rare limited edition sleeves or something and don't want them getting dirty.

:inception noise:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Angry Grimace posted:

Put all your cards inside this and then use the gloves to play.

Sixty iphones each open to a web browser with a live video feed to the actual card on display in a sealed, climate-controlled vault.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Yeah, yeah, Narset. I'm surprised at the strictly better drudge skeletons! I thought we didn't get regeneration that efficient any more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

BXCX posted:

Thunderbolt Regent confirmed to be A Bad Card continuing the fine tradition of Game Day top 8 cards being not so great.

They aren't all bad, there was, uh, hang on... Utter End?
Before that I think you have to go back to Black Sun's Zenith or Tempered Steel.

I really wish Supplant Form was playable in Standard, because the game day promo art looks awesome.

• Locked thread