Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Soooo cards with Devoid aren't colorless until they're in play are they?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
Is it possible that scry lands and Courser rotating out and taking away a lot of the smoothing out of draws and land drops will help diminish the effectiveness of Rhinos or is the sheer OPness of the card enough to keep it the undisputed top dog?

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

Ultima66 posted:

Also, you know, making manabases possibly the strongest they have ever been in the history of standard...

Somebody didn't play during Lorwyn/Alara

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

Ultima66 posted:

Reflecting Pool and Vivid lands is not more powerful than fetching up any possible color with any fetchland.

E: It occurs to me this won't be true until the enemy color versions of the new cycle is released, but it's still very powerful and comparable to Reflecting Pool + Vivids imo.

It's good for sure, and doubly so once the enemy Tangolands come out, but it's not as good as having access to all five colors at once for no loss of life and for the remainder of the game starting on turn 2.

Edit: upon reflection(har) this is all contingent upon whether or not there are a lot of things that care about basic land types. Depending on the other cards in BFZ we haven't seen it could easily end up being as strong or stronger.

sit on my Facebook fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Sep 15, 2015

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
Magic players are the worst whiners in the history of games

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
Yeah, A+ to that cycle. Red in particular.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
Instant speed ramp on a land in a set that cares about lands is a pretty self evidently strong effect. The only real question is if the mana cost is fair and I think at effectively five, it definitely is. If it was any cheaper it might even verge on busted. Lands with anything more than marginal spell effects are almost always good, hell, Nephalia Drownyard was a primary win condition once upon a time. I doubt any blighted land makes it anywhere as a 4-of though, since they're colorless.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
It looks like this set may have a slightly lower number of high impact constructed cards than usual, but not by much. It's hard to say until you see it in practice.

The art is really hit or miss. Some of it is laughably bad but the are still some sweet cards.

The flavor text is almost universally god-awful. Like, cringe inducing.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
Magic: the Gathering: the Megathread: Even the trees grow trees

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
Magic players complain loudly about every product release ever, as they hurriedly reach into their wallets to pull out several hundred dollars that they are not happy to be handing over for this garbage set and its garbage cards, not happy at all I tell ya what

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
Like, has any set in modern magic had more than 10-20 truly powerful Standard cards? Not counting semi-functional reprints of staple cards like your basic burn spells or mana dorks or whatever, constructed viability is basically limited to a small handful of cards per set, and it's virtually impossible to evaluate them without testing the format since it's entirely dependant not on raw power level but on relative power level. Complain about the art all you want, that's perfectly valid, but until you've sleeved up some decks and played some games of new Standard, complaining about cards based on your armchair evaluation of how good they may or may not be in a vacuum is useless navel gazing.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
Hahaha seriously

"The end result was that 80% of limited games were decided by turn 3"

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
EDH lives and dies by house rules. Your playgroup determines how much fun the format is, full stop.

So I've been out of standard for years and I want to get back into FNM level. Is a Thopter based deck viable to win some games? I love the flavor of it but I'm unsure if the power level is where it needs to be even for FNM. Thopter Spy Network, Hangarback Walker and Pia and Kiran seem fantastic but I just don't know..

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
Drafted BFZ on Wednesday. A+ would do again. gently caress the haters. Set is good.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
On an unrelated note, I understand the reasoning but for fucks sake just make blue devoid cards show up in gatherer when I search for blue stuff uggggh

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
Wow you guys weren't kidding about the glare on the cards, that's awful

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

Angry Grimace posted:

I mean, if it was intentional that's one thing, but they made it pretty clear their intent was the opposite given Maro said Eldrazi were designed with colored mana so every deck couldn't play them + battlelands not supposed to be good in 4/5c decks. They obviously just hosed up.

Well they're also thinking toward the future and in 6 months the mana is going to look waaaay different without fetches.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

Count Bleck posted:

I 3-1'd FNM yesterday with a Jund (more like GB splashing Red for Kolaghan's Command) last night. It was fun as gently caress.

Catacomb Sifter does work.

Can you share your list for this? I wanna play with Catacomb Sifter

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
I can't see, say or think the words "Hangarback Walker" without putting it to the tune of "Paperback Writer"

There now I've shared my curse and maybe it will go away

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
Patrick Chapin really needs to learn to wash his hair

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

The Shortest Path posted:

Mind Sculptor is the only other Jace to pass 50 dollars.

It's possible SCG had another one at higher but who the gently caress uses SCG as a metric for prices?

My LGS insists on using SCG prices for singles, and even overshoots them from time to time if they're low on a card. I counter offered the owner with the going TcgPlayer price plus a dollar for a Prairie Steam he was asking thirteen loving dollars for and he just scoffed. The entire player base there uses Star City on the assumption that "well, as long as we're all using the same metric it ends up being equivalent" even though it doesn't, at all, but good luck trying to convince a bunch of MTGFinance nerds to change their habits.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

Angry Grimace posted:

There must not be any competition if SCG prices are being used.

There is a competing store across town, as well as a couple Vintage Stocks and a place in the mall that sell singles. This is Tulsa we're talking about, so it's not exactly like they're monopolizing the market. I'm not sure how he gets away with it. Player apathy is the only thing I can think of.

It just kills me that I can try to bargain with the guy, literally pull up and order products online, on my phone, right in front of his face, at 20-50% less than he's charging and he just... doesn't care. How do you run a business like that?

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

rabidsquid posted:

Don't bro me if you don't know me

At FNM this last week, I had one of my opponents get super, super butthurt when I extended the hand after game three, which I won, because "it's bad etiquette for the winner to offer the handshake, man"

Which imo is extremely stupid but I've been wondering all weekend, is this really A Thing? I've never heard it before and it just struck me as a way for him to deflect being a poor sport and not shaking my hand when I offered it.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

Vashro posted:

did you say gg and go for shake before he had actually scooped?

Well no that's obvious bad etiquette. I waited till he had said "ok you win" and rabbit-holed three or four cards off the top of his deck and had started picking everything up

I should also mention that when I said "good games man" he huffily replied "not really but ok" so this guy was just kinda a twat in general.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

PleasantDirge posted:

Some ppl are not good at losing, help them out and wait for them to offer a hand after a match when you win. If they can't hold in their butthurt after you say something nice like "good games", gently caress 'em, you don't need salty butthurt friends and nobody likes bad losers.

As soon as someone acts like that after a game I just disengage and go hang out with my friends until the next round starts. Be positive and ignore ppl who aren't.

Oh I've been playing tournament Magic for like 14 years now, I'm well acquainted with salty losers. It just struck me as odd because this last week was my first time at this particular store and like 3 or 4 people I mentioned it to afterwords all seemed to agree that the winner extending the hand first was bad form and I've never heard anything like that before.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

Angry Grimace posted:

That's just salty bullshit he made up to make it look like being on tilt was justified.

I like to imagine that it was because his $800 pro-tour list, including 4 foil Vryn's Prodigies, got mopped up by my $75 Thopter Spy Network home brew

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

rear end Catchcum posted:

Decklist please?

I'm a few pages behind but here you go:

CORE:
4 Hangarback Walker
4 Hedron Archive
4 Thopter Spy Network
1 Ghostfire Blade
1 Pia and Kiran Nalaar

SPELLS (adjust for meta):
4 Anticipate
3 Scatter to the Winds
1 Horribly Awry
1 Brutal Expulsion
1 Clash of Wills

3 Planar Outburst
2 Radiant Flames
2 Exquisite Firecraft
1 Fiery Impulse
1 Wild Slash
1 Silkwrap

The mana base is EXTREMELY budget so I'm just going to say, play twenty six lands and make one of them a Tomb of the Spirit Dragon and another a Blighted Cataract.

SIDE:
2 Negate
1 Clash of Wills
1 Exert Influence
2 Radiant Flames
1 Quarantine Field
2 Fiery Impulse
1 Wild Slash
2 Horribly Awry
2 Valorous Stance
1 Silkwrap

I'm obviously making a lot of concessions to not wanting to buy expensive cards, but it performs fine if you play tight and get a little lucky.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
MTGGoldfish has a series about budget magic and his decks are totally viable to win some games. The black/red devoid aggro deck he posted a while back in particular would be good since you're still in the learning curve.

Edit: Here ya go

sit on my Facebook fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Oct 30, 2015

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

Barry Shitpeas posted:

There's no island in Arabian Nights so probably all fake

Maybe he just left off the "..of Wak-Wak"

Edit: god damnit

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
All I'm saying is that Return to Rabiah better reintroduce ante. I'd say it's right in there with the modern Magic design principle of the game emptying your wallet at every turn

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

Angry Grimace posted:

"I'm only anteing the checklist card, not the actual jace :colbert:"

"I'm beating you up and taking your Jaces, nerd"

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
My friends and I design our Commander decks basically by committee, and just make a big pile of decks that everyone then chooses from. It's a nice way to alleviate the "one guy insists on being degenerate" problem if you usually play with a circle of friends like I do.

That said, if I had to design my own Commander deck and then play with strangers at the card store, I imagine it would be way less fun.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

rear end Catchcum posted:

This has been happening since they made mogg fanatic boring.

Fun fact, when Mogg Fanatic was printed, it worked the same way under the rules as it does now.

I'm not entirely sad about non-conditional one-mana mana dorks going away for awhile though. They make for such swingy games sometimes. I don't mind trying a format without them, just as long as they're not going away forever.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
So Wizards' policy is that in a draft it sealed tournament, all product in your possession is officially yours and you can take your ball (cards) and go home at any time. That's fine, whatever.

Last night at the draft, in pack three, the guy to my right opens a Gideon and a foil Sunken Hollow, and immediately says "I'd like another pack" and just puts the one he just opened in his backpack and the store gives him another pack.

Come to find out this is a house rule they implemented to keep people from dropping mid draft to avoid situations like that but to me that seems like bullshit, if you open a great pack, you should have to decide between dropping to keep it or passing it to keep playing and not get the best of both worlds and come on guys tell me this is crap I should've gotten passed one of those :smith:

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
For the record I understand that that is the best solution given the problem, I just wanted to complain. In no small part because I need, specifically, Sunken Hollows.

Although I will say that in a sanctioned draft, I'm not so sure that the cards should be officially yours until you've drafted them. I'm pretty lukewarm on that rule

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
I've died thirty seven times today

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

JerryLee posted:

"But these posts don't mean anything!"
"No-- they mean nothing."

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
Is an emptyquote a Null Read?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
A true scribe devotes an entire lifetime to the creation of a single post, a masterpiece as unique as its maker.

• Locked thread