Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp
Hell, I'm not sure the Silumgar have any live servants whatsoever. Seems the Sultai let the naga and many humans keep their lives, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Ramos posted:

Even for an elder dragon that's ridiculously powerful, that seems highly unsustainable. They probably just pick up the dead from battle as a nice added bonuses to whatever fights they win.

I'm serious, the only non-zombies we've seen so far there are the dragons themselves. What seems unsustainable is bothering to let any of your underlings live when they'd be much more dependable and lower maintenance as zombies. It's very much in black's flavor to view all your subordinates as utterly disposable, makes sense to me. :shrug:

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Spiderdrake posted:

The first Silumgar card we saw was a human speaking to Silumgar so nope, already seen non-zombies.

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?name=grim+haruspex

Does that represent a version from the past of FRF or from the alternate future of DTK? I mean, things can change if you give them 1000 years.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

bhsman posted:

I think the women(?) standing at guard in front of Silumgar are alive, in any case.

It's hard to tell, they don't look obviously decomposed, but their skin does look a bit greenish. They don't exactly seem to be full of life, I guess.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

odiv posted:

Oh, I wasn't nitpicking, just pointing out an important difference. I'd actually prefer it synergize well with Manifest, but that probably broke something in testing.

Seems ok to me. You have a choice between flipping it up for the (presumably cheaper) mana cost or paying a premium to "megamorph" it and get the extra counter. Seems to create more interesting choices that way.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Rinkles posted:

Which begs the question of why it's formated that way. It seems very "feel bad" and unintuitive for the unsuspecting caster.

There may be cards that trigger whenever you exploit anything, and those technically wouldn't work under the rules if it were only an ability word and not a keyword.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Spiderdrake posted:

Did he even do it on camera? I thought he just wore him Leia style til he died of natural causes.

Which must have sucked when he was flying around.

I wonder if he's zombified to some extent, otherwise wouldn't he just be a skeleton by now?

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Spiderdrake posted:

Silumgar appears to have gotten considerably fatter. That's why he doesn't have hexproof anymore, he's so loving fat.

Gonna start calling him Silumguru now. That's how old I am!

But he had a bigger butt in the past!

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp
I'm not that surprised at Keranos being playable- he seems comparable to staff of nin, only harder to remove. You're getting roughly 1.5 damage and 0.5 cards per turn instead of 1 and 1, but still.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp
Can't wait to play that shaman.... in EDH, that is.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp
Not every mythic has to be constructed caliber, but that ability certainly feels mythic. Maybe they could print it on a rare, but I don't know.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Elyv posted:

an 11 mana activated Biorhythm that you can't always use? :geno: I don't entirely agree with Grimace's perception of the power level, but honestly that card doesn't feel mythic to me.

It's a mythic for Timmy, not a mythic for Spike.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Zoness posted:

Also a 2/3 for 3 keeps the morphs off your butt in limited.

It's certainly fine in limited, there will probably be uncommons and commons you'd want to take over it, but I wouldn't be upset at all about having to play it.

As for constructed, it's conceivable it sees fringe play for the ramp ability. The biorhythm effect is just flavor text.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

I Love You! posted:

I actually can't think of anything outside of a format-buster like pack rat that I'd take over this guy in limited.

-Hugely relevant body
-Single Color
-Breaks the curve badly in a very curve-oriented, high-cost, high-power format
-Comes down at the most critical point (lets you leapfrog the deadzone of t4 and go straight to t5/6 where all the gamebusters come online
-Incidental ability for super weird fringe cases that won't happen

Virtually any opening hand with this guy is a monster hand and he's mad easy to build around. He'll never rot in your hand like a 5play bomb and he isn't at all bad even if you have nothing immediate to ramp into. Glad he's mythic because limited would NOT be fun with him at another rarity.

I agree that he's good, I'm just not sure I wouldn't want to pick good removal or some mythic uncommon over it. The upside that you describe is real high, but the downside is real- if you draw it late game, it's pretty much worse than any morph.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Zoness posted:

Counterpoint they jammed inane nonsense like gain 4 life into a mode on the u/w command.

The gain 4 life is just an alternate version of tap your opponent's team, it's just worse most of the time.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp
I think I Love You's enthusiasm is warranted. We're getting a worse cryptic command, but being a worse version of an insanely nutty card can still be fine.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Sometimes you need to stabilize your life total, especially against a red deck. I think it makes sense to put some situational modes on commands rather than having every single one represent insane value all the time.

Yeah, exactly. I'm fine with my modal cards having options that are only useful sometime. However, the thing about Cryptic Command is that you could pretty much always use it to good effect- the baseline is bounce a permanent and draw a card, which often isn't bad for 4 mana. The baseline level of Ojutai's command is gain 4 life and draw a card, which is really unexciting for 4 mana (though I suppose it beats spending 4 on Sphinx's revelation). For that reason, I'm not sure it will be a standard staple but I'll be really surprised if it doesn't see any play.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Angry Grimace posted:

My current Standard pet card is Dictate of Heliod. Almost every time I play it (and my win % with it in sanctioned MODO games is actually pretty good for a gimmick deck) I get some snide comment from the opponent about it, despite me enjoying my 3/3 Cat soldiers, 3/3 Goblin tokens and 5/6 Brimaz quite a bit.

I think I'm gonna add it to my paper R/W deck for amusement purposes.

The best thing about playing rogue brews is definitely the salty reactions you get when you manage to win.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp
Memory Lapse is just the "gently caress you" version of Remand.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Chamale posted:

Why? If you counter a bomb, it's in the graveyard. If you Memory Lapse a bomb, they cast it again soon. The only formats Memory Lapse get played in now are Cube and Commander, which are both bomby.

It's pretty similar to Remand, the difference being that you deny their next draw instead of getting an extra one yourself.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

TheKingofSprings posted:

That sounds awful

As worded, it's just 2 mana for a 3/2 flying as long as you have only basic lands, which seems ok to me.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp
Random thought: In Tempest Remastered, I hope they print Portcullis as a mythic. That card was an insane limited bomb, though not unbeatable since it requires that you be ahead on board when you play it, and it's hard but not impossible to get around it (for example with creature removal).

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp
Ok I was wrong about Narset being a planeswalker, I still stand by my assessment that all the "evidence" was extremely flimsy and wishful thinking-y.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

dragon enthusiast posted:

I like how Ojutai in the end doesn't really care that Narset found out the truth

Why would he? He's constantly telling his followers to seek knowledge and enlightenment, he shouldn't be surprised when one does just that. He probably only wanted it hidden in the first place to assert control.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

bhsman posted:

A friend of mine has pointed out that you can cast a spell with Narset's minus ability and then get it back with Soulfire Grandmaster's ability (assuming it survives). Master the Way? :devil:

I don't think that works, if the spell has rebound, it doesn't go to the graveyard the first time around, so SGM's ability has no effect there, and on the rebound, it isn't being cast from your hand, so again SGM does nothing.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Angry Grimace posted:

I guess he's been hanging out in that river for a LONG time.

1000 years in a river and you, too, can learn how to block!

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp
The 4 mana dragon seems playable, but I'm not sure most decks wouldn't just want Ashcloud Phoenix over it.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Aisar posted:

I'm pretty sure evolving wilds card number confirms no zendikar fetches assuming the 5 basic lands are in, i dont remember who i was talkin about who bet they were in dtk but score another one for the ol' aisar baseless speculation wagon.

The speculation was based on wishful thinking, I would not be surprised to see them in MM2, however.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp
Reminder that Tibalt was like a $20 preorder.

Planeswalkers are always expensive as poo poo to preorder and the preorder price has little correlation to how good they actually are or what price they stabilize at.

Starving Autist fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Mar 4, 2015

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

qbert posted:

Will Narset's -2 work with Temporal Trespass? The card is going to the exile zone either way.

My intuition is it works like when you whip back Ghost Dad. Maybe that's why they nerfed TT so hard...

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Angry Grimace posted:

I wonder if the Exile effect was tacked onto Trespass for Narset? Otherwise it seems kind of a pointless restriction.

Maybe, but this wouldn't be the first time they've done that, see Temporal Mastery. It makes sense as a catch all to prevent abuse.

rabidsquid posted:

It's the same reason you don't get to shuffle a Zenith back into your deck when you used Snapcaster to get it out of the graveyard.

I don't see the connection, intuitively I don't understand why it shouldn't work like the Obzedat/Whip interaction. Flashback overrides everything else and says the spell is exiled, so obviously you won't shuffle in a Zenith. Whip says you have to exile the creature if it would leave the battlefield for any reason, and if that reason is it's being exiled by another effect, it just gets exiled by the effect. I don't see why this should be different (yes I understand that it IS by fiat but it seems more ad-hoc than anything you could arrive at on your own just by looking at the rules).

Starving Autist fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Mar 4, 2015

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp
I'm going to make a bold prediction: the prices of the cards are going to fluctuate.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Dungeon Ecology posted:

Man, what a bummer that allied fetches aren't in DTK. Isn't it MaRo that's always talking about people loving pattern completion? Well, MaRo -- here's a pattern you guys didn't complete...

I'm just seeing a pattern of never printing more than 5 fetches in a block, personally.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Rinkles posted:

Traditionally how playable have these sort of abilities been?

The Dragonspeaker reduction was a bit beefier.

E:i guess it's effectively a worse, more expensive conditional elvish mystic that can eat goblin tokens

Yeah, I don't remember cards like this ever making an impact on standard. It's definitely going straight into my Atarka EDH deck, though.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Cernunnos posted:

You either end up playing that guy T2 and curve out or play Dragon Tempest T2 and give your T4 Thunderbreak Haste and get some extra damage in.

Or you draw it on turn 6 and silently weep.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Kabanaw posted:

"Blocking a spell with a magical barrier non-nonchalantly" is a fairly common counterspell motif.

Yeah, there's no reason to suspect it's a reprint at all. For all we know it's this set's iteration of the 5 mana counterspell you only play when you have to in limited.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Count Bleck posted:

How can you hate that art? It's amazing.

It's funnier at first, but once the humor wears off I'd rather look at the original.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Elyv posted:

The white, black, and green ones all have watermarks. Still weird that the whole cycle either does or doesn't, though.

It makes sense, though, because the red one is this force of nature that exists independent of the dragons, and the blue one is just this tiny salamander that evades the attention of any of the dragons. The others serve the dragon broods to some extent.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

TheKingofSprings posted:

I can't get over how there hasn't been a good Goblin printed in about 5 years

Rabblemaster's feelings are going to be hurt by this post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp
Have they explained the flavor of megamorph? I mean, in this block, morph is supposed to represent draconic "conealment magic", so is megamorph just that plus an extra bonus because they got the magic directly from the dragons? :shrug:

• Locked thread