Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!
From the last thread:

One Deadman posted:

The way Exploit is worded is kinda weird to me?

Instead of using "if" they used "when", so It kinda makes me think there will be way to get multiple exploit triggers?
Exploit is a triggered ability that occurs when the creature enters the battlefield, not a replacement one that happens as it enters. If it were, creatures wouldn't be able to exploit themselves. Given that it is a triggered ability, you have to make another triggered ability that goes off when the exploit happens.

Also, Strionic Resonator is a thing they have to keep into account in eternal formats. Remember when Duplicant could have two P/T scores?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

TheKingofSprings posted:

Wizards doesn't test with eternal formats in mind.

No, but they do make sure the game rules don't literally snap in half when new cards are released. I'm pretty sure Strionic Resonator is one of the cards they test cards on just to avoid any future Duplicants.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I finally read Uncharted Realms, and I think Narset's and Ojutai's interaction is adorable. I expected Ojutai to erupt into a towering rage when Narset found the forbidden scrolls. Instead, he basically said, "You have snatched the pebble from my hand, grasshopper. It is time for you to leave." :3::hf::smaug:

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Rinkles posted:

Art for upcoming spoiler

That is terrible baby carrying technique. You want to have your baby snug on your back like a backpack, not flopping around like a purse.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Count Bleck posted:

But torture is alright. Very white/green, very close-knit community very unified in one cause.

Magic: the Gathering: Megathread: We tortured some folks

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Starving Autist posted:

And when he's not dealing with entitled players, he's fielding the most inane questions imaginable: http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/113526026323/what-what-color-would-cookie-monster-be

I'm pretty sure he likes those questions because they don't require any thought whatsoever.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

ungulateman posted:

she's my waifu therefore she is anime, qed

Why didn't anyone call non-ghost Anafenza their waifu?

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Dr. Stab posted:

Thanks, I only needed one.

1xBackup plan.

Best sideboard.

e: what is there in the format to deal with a resolved Chalice of the Void?

e2: burn is actually the best deck thanks to format all-star Meltdown.

First two answers I can think of: Shattering Spree, Cavern of Souls.

Edit: I'm going with Norin Soul Sisters.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

clamiam45 posted:

Same question except for internet comics in general

Same question except for anything on the Internet.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Gyshall posted:

why does Birds of Paradise have flying?

Because it's a bird? Look up Whippoorwill to see what happens when birds don't have flying.

EDIT: Or more recently, Bronzebeak Moa (which probably would have worked better as Bronzebeak Ostrich).

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

They need to print a textless Balduvian Shaman or Ice Cauldron.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Sickening posted:

How can variance be eliminated?

THERE IS AS YET INSUFFICIENT DATA FOR A MEANINGFUL ANSWER.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Entropic posted:

Whose fault is it that Dominaria went to poo poo? I'm not up on my Time Spiral lore.

It got eaten by slivers. Everything is slivers now.

And Squee.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Esser-Z posted:

It's not a lens flare! It's part of the MAGIC!

Personally, I prefer the various counter arts that involve punching, smashing, or generally muscling through spells. Badass as gently caress.

My favorite counterspelling art.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Textless Cryptic is only the beginning. They should print textless Ice Cauldron and Balduvian Shaman.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Elyv posted:

They don't textlessify unplayable cards.

What I'm trying to say is that they should make a textless Chains of Mephistopheles.

Actually, textless planeswalkers. Like, say, Jace the Mind Sculptor. (Do you remember what his ultimate does? Does anyone?)

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Who was it that gave someone 5 cards on MODO off a FoF? I seem to recall an amusing edit.

The only way a 5-0 split on FoF would be funnier is if the other player misclicked and picked the 0.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

born on a buy you posted:

losing 5 life to Ad Nauseam is bad. it won't see play in legacy

Doesn't Ad Nauseam not give a poo poo about how much life they lose, since they run Angel's Grace?

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Pyronic posted:

Everyone here needs a little more Victor in their lives:

I can tell right away I have <3 power, because I <3 him.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

The Nastier Nate posted:

They get into a battle of wits where Alhammarret damages Jace's mind but Jace Makes the Sphinx forget how to breathe, he dies.
Nah, you missed the point. Jace damaged his own mind to attack Alhamarret. It's like luring him into a building, and then ordering a controlled demolition.

EDIT: Also, I like this explanation for Jace's amnesia better than just "He wanted to forget, so he wiped his own mind." Also, I get the feeling that, with the loss of two of Vryn's most powerful arbiters, the war will turn from relatively cold to boiling.

Zemyla fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jun 25, 2015

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Or turn it into a creature. Every Standard deck plays creatures.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Cactrot posted:

If nothing else Days undoing has a spot alongside all the other wheel effects, lilanas caress and megrim in nekusar EDH decks

Nope, the triggered abilities never go off before Day's Undoing ends the turn. So it's not even good for them.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

BizarroAzrael posted:

How seriously do we think BFZ will not have enemy fetches now the painlands have been spoiked? Debating shifting my Marsh Flats. I mean, it seems like a big part of the reason they'd return to the setting.

Why does everyone think BFZ will just be a bunch of Zendikar reprints? Allied fetches in the last block make it much less likely they'll reprint enemy fetches in the very next block; if the Eldrazi titans do show up, there's no way in hell they won't print new versions; and people are talking about crazy things like Goblin Guide being reprinted. Sorry, but that's unlikely to happen.

BFZ isn't going to be "Zendikar block's greatest hits", it's not going to be a bunch of reprints, it's going to be its own thing with different mechanics.

ETA: This is different from the "they aren't going to reprint the ally fetches in KTK" situation because reprinting those had a huge effect: they made them legal in Modern. Enemy fetches are already legal, and there's still a sizable number of them.

Also, the two-set block paradigm, combined with their insistence on providing balanced fixing for ally and enemy pairs and Hasbro's mandate to print rare dual lands in every block, is going to result in a glut of new dual land designs. Hell, I remember people talking when THS was spoiled that the scrylands were terrible, and now there are people saying they'll miss them when they rotate.

So appreciate the dual lands you get, and they'll appreciate on you.

Zemyla fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jun 28, 2015

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

A friend of mine posted a statistical analysis of the new mulligan rule on MTG Salvation:

BonSequitur posted:

To inject some data into the argument about the new mulligan rule as it relates to Delver decks, I wrote a monte carlo simulation.

The simulation considers a somewhat unrealistic Delver deck that has 4 Delvers, 20 lands, and 36 spells. It then draws opening hands, following a simple mulligan rule (Keep any hand with 2 to 3 lands or a delver and a land). This is a back of the envelope set of initial conditions meant to magnify the effect of the single scry as much as possible: the deck mulligans a lot (26% of the time it mulligans at least once). It then looks at the top card of the deck to see if it flips. I'm assuming, also, that you always scry a land or delver to the bottom, and keep a spell every time, so that on a mulligan, a turn one delver will always flip if a spell is the top card of the library or the second to top card.

Running this simulation 100000 iterations at a time, here's the result: With the current mulligan rules, you have a turn-2 flipped delver just over 29% of the time. With the PT Magic Origins rules, you have a flipped delver just under 32% of the time, a gain of about 3%.

Now, if we could say that you win every game where you have a flipped delver and lose every game where you don't, then that's a 3% gain in game win %age, which is a pretty significant edge. But it isn't, and this calculation is done using the most generous parameters possible. The actual figure is probably closer to 1-2% (In a real deck playing only about 28 instants and sorceries, and under real conditions where you keep more than two thirds of your seven-card hands and sometimes it's correct to scry away a spell or keep a land on top). Furthermore, this difference only translates into game win %age in those instances where the flipped delver actually is the difference between winning and losing. Most games are not that close, and in many games, the delver flip never matters at all (Opponent bolts delver on their turn, opponent has a turn-3 Karn, opponent goes off with Splinter Twin on turn 4, opponent has a Pyroclasm...)

So while it is technically true that this mulligan rule helps the delver deck, the effect is so small that I don't think it changes where Delver is in any given metagame, or how people should build their decks to try and maximise that effect.

With combo decks, the marginal increase in how often you see certain key cards should be similar, ie, not really significant enough. I don't think the difference is enough that, for example, you should take a combo deck to a tournament with this mulligan rule where you wouldn't take it to a tournament with a different mulligan rule.

tl;dr: In a Delver deck, the new rule improves the odds of getting a flipped turn 2 Delver by 3%, assuming the best-case scenario.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

These will go great with Theros penis islands.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Toshimo posted:

That's a bad way to look at it.

Going from 29% to 32% isn't a 3% change, it's a 10% change. And that's notable.
You can't really take percentages of percentages, it doesn't make sense. If probability worked like that, I could say the chances of not having the turn 2 flipped delver are 4% lower. But you can't say the chances of X went up 10% and the chances of (not X) went down 4%. That's not how probability works.

Besides, this deck was artificially created to be the least unrealistic deck that the mulligan rule change would effect. In the real world, Delver builds aren't 4 Delvers, 36 spells, and 20 lands. You've got things like Snapcaster and Monastery Mentor and Young Peezy and Taylor Swiftspear that could go in. And even if you did play just Delver, a 3% better chance of getting a turn 2 Delver does not equal a 3% better chance of winning.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Bugsy posted:

"Get this loving ring off my head!"

Who was it who had the avatar of Elesh Norn saying, "I CAN'T FIT THROUGH FUCKIN DOORS!"? Because it seems she's started a trend of crazy poo poo on people's heads.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

kizudarake posted:

Have they announced what supplemental stuff we're getting this year? We got commander the last two, are they going three years in a row, or are they going to give us planechase back?

Commander's become its own thing, separate from Summer of Multiplayer. We're going to get Commander decks and whatever the next multiplayer thing is.

I'm hoping for Archenemy 2015.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

My favorite red "artifacts matter" card is Bludgeon Brawl.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

whydirt posted:

A deck about a knight who retreats should obviously be called Brave Sir Robin.
Half of me wants this, but the other half thinks that such a name should be applied to Norin Sisters or something, because Norin is far more cowardly.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

ZorajitZorajit posted:

I've never been a competitive Magic player, so if this is a really stupid question, I hope you can understand. I've been reading the BFZ spoilers and seeing lots of talk about the multiple sets of dual lands included in the set, including the RTR reprints at mythic rarity. I get why these cards are objectively good, even why it would be bad for them to be reliably acquired in limited. My question is this: Why are lands that will be constructed staples in high rarity slots, virtually guaranteeing a high price on the secondary market, when they aren't flashy or particularly novel in their function?
Correct me if I am wrong, but the requirement that every block have a dual land cycle at rare actually is a mandate from Hasbro. Moreover, it is the only mandate from Hasbro so far as we the public know.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

You know what pisses me off the most about BFZ?

Rally and Ally don't rhyme. They look like they should, but they loving don't.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

A friend just made me realize this.

Gideon makes white knight allies. :v:

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'd be happy. They'd probably design it so you could just play it as a cube straight out of the box.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Serperoth posted:

Speaking of beautiful, am I the only one who thinks this piece is godawful? I'm no art expert, but it looks like something out of a bad game Kickstarter.

Why is Hellboy choking Davy Jones?

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

201 Emrakuls. The win condition is Battle of Wits.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Did anyone think there was even the slightest chance they weren't reprinting this? Come to think of it, is there any UG commander deck that doesn't have this?

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

This is probably my favorite flavortext from anything in this last year.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Gridlocked posted:

Sall good brah.

All right, being dead means something when you aren't on loving Theros.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

The Shortest Path posted:

Proliferate probably didn't show up because it's blue/green only and would really throw out the balance of the experience counter thing, I'm guessing.

Not that they really tried to balance anything else, but yeah.

Stick loving Contagion Clasp in every deck. It's colorless removal and proliferate, and makes pretty much everyone happy.

• Locked thread