Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

White cards tap like this but black cards tap like this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Angry Grimace posted:

I'm not quite sure Narset is a control card.

Narset wins control mirrors in the very least, but also is just valuetown

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Angry Grimace posted:

I don't know that "you have a 50/50 chance to draw a card" is a great use of 4 mana, and in control her -2 is basically just double-Treasure Cruise. I just don't know that the kind of control deck you guys are thinking about really wants to tap out on turn 4 to cast something that has a 50% chance of doing anything.

Scrylands make it not a 50/50 chance?

This is the same argument people used for Domri Rade

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Serperoth posted:

Atarka's Command spoiled on Facebook

RG
Instant - Rare

Choose two:
- Your opponents can't gain life this turn
- ~ deals 3 damage to each opponent
- You may put a land card from your hand onto the battlefield
- Creatures you control get +1/+1 and gain reach until end of turn

This is a sick card.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Spiderdrake posted:

So the phoenix turns over and suddenly raptors everywhere! I think this might actually be good? It's certainly cool anyway. Raptorvine.

The only explanation for the raptor looking like a weirdly mangled... idk thing... is that it has been reanimated too many times.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Allstone posted:

I really want to see them explore more of the positive aspects of black in cards and characters. It's been nice to see some more white-aligned villains recently though. I just feel like it's interesting space.

Elesh Norn is the only white villain i ever need. Shes the coolest bad person that can be defeated by most doors.

Wow that was 4 years ago :psyduck:

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I love to look at weird cards and figure out what they could be good at but holy god thats a pile of garbage

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Doran Enchanment with Butt-breathing. I love wall decks.

This will go good in my Doran the Siege Tower EDH deck but unironically

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Attorney at Funk posted:

Draconic Tutor

A red tutor without any random chance :monocle:

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Entropic posted:

I can imagine a Standard deck that really wants to draw its Stormbreath dragons in a certain matchup maybe running it. The fact that it's an instant helps a lot.

Yeah I can see it as a T4 leave 3 mana open and maybe one red dude back. Then your have the option of strokin flames or searching for a stormbreath if you didnt draw one

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Still pretty notable that a modern red tutor doesnt have a weird random chance stapled on it

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Cool art. Boring cards.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I hope this set is battlecruiser magic because Eldrazi was and is still the best but I don't see it yet. It looks like its trying to be that

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Entropic posted:

The best discard spell art is clearly

This isn't even a question.

Anyone who disputes this is the wrongest

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Lancelot posted:

He's had those little skulls on his necklass for more than a thousand years!

Very durable halloween accessories

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Yeah Surrak seems fine. Im sure on turn 3-4 you'll have 8 power on board and he can just give himself haste

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Gensuki posted:

...Not sure if you're being sarcastic or missing that he has 5 power, so really his ability says "if other creatures you control have 3 or more power[...]"

Elvish mystic> piker/mana dork piker> surrak is a pretty powerful start.

EDIT: VV There aren't any good creatures with their own trample huh? That sucks...

I did not miss his 5 power but probably should have just phrased it better. I meant that when you play him on 3-4 you'll have 8 power.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Thats a lot of power really quickly and you can play Paul Kranos afterwards and it'll have haste

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Zoness posted:

Look man as a person who likes playing wraths I'm really scared of something like

mystic - courser - surrak take 7 lmao

Cuz that shits gonna happen before I even have my third land in play and isn't a particularly nutty draw or anything.

Agreed. Conditional Haste is much better than Conditional trample

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Agreed.

On an unrelated note, King, the time has come to autoban yourself. :cb:

rofl did he :toxx: himself?

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Just being a very efficiently costed haster that gives all your other dudes haste isn't enough. It needs more upside. More!!

Incidentally why does the creature power level keep rising??

The powercreep is real

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Serperoth posted:

I want this to happen.

I target myself :madmax:

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Alaan posted:

Phyrexia vs. the Coalition is probably the worst balanced. Black vs. five color wonky mana base is just asking for trouble. Every other one I've played is pretty reasonably balanced though. I liked Izzet vs. Golgari and Sorin vs. Tibalt(Sure you end up with Tibalt, but his deck itself is fun)

I would put "izzet vs golgari" on the maybe list. Graveyard mechanics in golgari are sometimes intimidating to new players. I played it with 2 new players and 1 was intimidated by the graveyard stuff and one tried to understand it but never fully got why it was good. YMMV :shrug:

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

For asfan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ERK08HgR6A

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Rinkles posted:

Remember that they can sac themselves, sometimes making them slightly inefficient spells w/o the creature. It needs a little building around, but I think it's a powerful mechanic because of the versatility it presents you with. A lot of the creatures are only slightly more expensive than you'd expect a spell equivalent of the exploit trigger to cost (like draw 2, lose 2 life attached to a 2/3 flying body for 3B - I think that's a great deal personally).

Im gonna draft so many of these nerds its unbelievable.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

a big carp or an old carp is still just a carp

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Zoness posted:

The best fish isn't even a fish.

(It's an elemental)

its also a dragon and a god and now its an elder

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Zoness posted:

What man that wasn't a changeling joke I was talking about

I wasnt making a changeling joke either

:smugwizard: changeling isnt a creature type

mulldrifter is the best fish

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

red wizard needs food badly *eats cheetos and then picks up your cards*

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

rabidsquid posted:

Please don't make fun of people who like to play Red, they're just trying to field a competitive 72 cent deck like the rest of us

I would never, as I love to play red decks

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Llanowar Elves is singular so the plural is Llanowar Elveses

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Entropic posted:

It seems like their would be a lot of food supply problems when 3/5s of the population has effectively abandoned farming and civilization and giant dragons are constantly burninating the countryside. Who's growing those bananas?

You're neglecting 2/5s and 2/2s and 1/3s and I read that ratio as p/t

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

6/6s get the lion share of the bananas

E: Dragon share

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Clams of Takir

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Thassa was a thing for a long time too

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

an skeleton posted:

probably jaceface

:agreed:

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Roast targetting coffee, response?

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

whydirt posted:

I don't think every block needs flashback, cycling, or kicker explicitly, just something to smooth variance. In recent sets, bestow, strive, scry, and morph have all filled similar roles.

Most modal mechanics are all variants of each other with some corner case exceptions anyway. Buyback, overload, entwine, and strive are all just more narrow, and generally more flavorful, forms of kicker, for example.

I think the dev team has been moving towards smoothing out variation in every color anyway. More green creatures draw cards now, and red's new draw mechanic Im sure will continue to show up.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Im still waiting for Grove of the burnwillows in every color combo

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Zoness posted:

Mostly better is a strictly better term than strictly better :can:

different implications :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009